Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times

Advertisements

Too much [virtually anything] = you die.

Too much food? Death.
Too much water? Death.
Too much oxygen? Death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:43 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
I ran 22 miles last week and then I died. True story.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:29 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,425 times
While I did not reread the article, I read it initially when it first came out. Some of the responses on this forum are somewhat sophomoric. Yes, we know that they make you run in the Army. Plodding along for five miles at ten minute mile pace is not what the article is referring to. In addition, do you continue to do this for a lifetime? How many years are you in the Army and required to do this? And for the person who said they cannot lose weight unless they do "fairly intense cardio"...I hate to tell you, but if you are in the position to have to constantly lose weight, your strategy is not working. Perhaps you want to look into a new eating plan to MAINTAIN your desired weight. This article does not conclude that you will drop dead eventually if you run/train long distances over the course of time. What it says is it may shorten your lifespan because it wears your body. Running LONG distances, as in marathoning, and repeatedly running MARATHON distance is not good for your heart. We are not meant to run 26 miles, and do it over and over again for years and years. Just look at someone in their forties that runs marathons on a REGULAR basis...in all honesty, they do not look healthy!

Old 04-05-2014, 09:44 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
I do not worry at all about the diminishing returns, wear & tear or any other ill effects of "too much running", whatever anyone's definition of that is. It's a moot point because I fully expect to die of some form of cancer (breast or GI related), and probably sometime in my 50s or 60s, based on family history, hard living in my 20s, and I guess living in NJ doesn't help.

But now that I've smugly declared my death fate, I will probably get hit by a bus instead, right now in my 30s. Maybe today, as I am headed out the door in a few minutes for my Saturday funday runday. (I'm procrastinating here right now while my bladder is still producing a last batch of morning pee for home toilet deposit before I venture out.)

If you don't hear from me again, I probably got hit by a bus today. Or by a texting SUV-driving cool mom en route to Whole Foods, who was applying mascara and drinking a caramel soy macchiato with the one not-yet-mascara-ed eye on the GPS screen.

So, in conclusion, I agree.

I will die.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:53 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I do not worry at all about the diminishing returns, wear & tear or any other ill effects of "too much running", whatever anyone's definition of that is. It's a moot point because I fully expect to die of some form of cancer (breast or GI related), and probably sometime in my 50s or 60s, based on family history, hard living in my 20s, and I guess living in NJ doesn't help.

But now that I've smugly declared my death fate, I will probably get hit by a bus instead, right now in my 30s. Maybe today, as I am headed out the door in a few minutes for my Saturday funday runday. (I'm procrastinating here right now while my bladder is still producing a last batch of morning pee for home toilet deposit before I venture out.)

If you don't hear from me again, I probably got hit by a bus today. Or by a texting SUV-driving cool mom en route to Whole Foods, who was applying mascara and drinking a caramel soy macchiato with the one not-yet-mascara-ed eye on the GPS screen.

So, in conclusion, I agree.

I will die.
that's the spirit!

Old 04-06-2014, 01:26 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
A lot of people think just doing a lot of exercise will make them healthy.

Truth is, you have to have your body in good condition to run a lot or exercise a lot.

Half of this is through diet. Exercise and burning calories is no justification to eat a crap junk food diet even if it stops you gaining weight.

You'll be running one day and "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh" heart attack..... boom.... dead.

Your body will give out on you in spectacular fashion.

Forcing yourself to run and be fit with 80% clogged arteries due to a crap diet is just asking for trouble. No wonder your heart will blow up.

If you want to be healthy, be holistic about it.... your entire lifestyle must be healthy not one or two things. No compensating for one bad habit with a "good habit" thinking it will counter-act it. It does not.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Study: Too Much Running Linked To Shorter Lifespans « CBS DC

As granny used to say, "Everything in moderation."
After running too much I blew my knees and for a while wished I was dead.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:23 PM

137 posts, read 199,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
If it wasn't for my diet, I couldn't be running those distances.
LOL! Good point.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:43 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
You'll be running one day and "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh" heart attack..... boom.... dead.
Actually, I saw that happen. Twice. Both times it was with healthy, fit people, so go figure. One was a family friend, an avid runner, who ate very well but had an inherited heart disease and dropped dead in the middle of a jog one day. The other was a stranger who ran past me in Golden Gate park, looking very fit and experienced, and when I saw him again a ways down the path, he was being hauled away by paramedics in a body bag. My guess is that he also had some sort of inherited condition, like heart defect or something. I wouldn't blame the running in either case but I also wouldn't say that dying in the middle of exercise only happens to un-fit people.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Actually, I saw that happen. Twice. Both times it was with healthy, fit people, so go figure. One was a family friend, an avid runner, who ate very well but had an inherited heart disease and dropped dead in the middle of a jog one day. The other was a stranger who ran past me in Golden Gate park, looking very fit and experienced, and when I saw him again a ways down the path, he was being hauled away by paramedics in a body bag. My guess is that he also had some sort of inherited condition, like heart defect or something. I wouldn't blame the running in either case but I also wouldn't say that dying in the middle of exercise only happens to un-fit people.
Two words ....

Jim Fixx

Jim Fixx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
James Fuller "Jim" Fixx (April 23, 1932 – July 20, 1984) was the author of the 1977 best-selling book, The Complete Book of Running. He is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution, popularizing the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging. Fixx died in 1984 at the age of 52.

On July 20, 1984, Fixx died at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack, after his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness