Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 AM

72 posts, read 113,501 times

Advertisements

If you plan on really getting into like learning handstands and all of the balance moves that require you holding all of your body weight up by your arms, then you will definitely increase your upper body strength and core with yoga. It will absolutely get you very toned. If you really want an all over body strength increase I would suggest doing a strength training class--usually consist of high rep low weight, weight lifting, that increases your strength while also toning you. If you're up for a bunch of different things I'd say do yoga some days and weight training other days while you still keep up with cardio regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 01:31 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capp16 View Post
If you plan on really getting into like learning handstands and all of the balance moves that require you holding all of your body weight up by your arms, then you will definitely increase your upper body strength and core with yoga. It will absolutely get you very toned. If you really want an all over body strength increase I would suggest doing a strength training class--usually consist of high rep low weight, weight lifting, that increases your strength while also toning you. If you're up for a bunch of different things I'd say do yoga some days and weight training other days while you still keep up with cardio regularly.
Let me google that for you

Lies, Damned Lies, and Muscle Tone | CrossFit ImpulseCrossFit Impulse

Toning vs. Bulking Up: The Real Facts | SparkPeople

Bodybuilding.com - The Myth Of TONING!

Old 04-08-2014, 03:18 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capp16 View Post
If you really want an all over body strength increase I would suggest doing a strength training class--usually consist of high rep low weight, weight lifting, that increases your strength while also toning you..
Negative. Unless by "low weight" you are talking approx. 60-70% of your one rep (i.e., absolute maximum heavy weight you can lift for one rep) max. Other than that, the whole "high rep/low weight" baloney is absolute nonsense. Anyone in the know would tell you this.

The body weight exercises/asanas/movements of yoga would be far superior to the "high rep/low weight" malarkey that the ill-informed and non-informed people try and so badly fail at. Not saying this is you Capp, but more people have seen Bigfoot dunk a basketball than people who have had success with the high rep/low weight stuff. It just does not work,.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:45 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
For experienced yogis, when is the best day to have a yoga session (hatha).....the day of strenuous lifting or running or the day following heaving exertional activity? I'm guessing the day after?

Old 12-30-2017, 06:50 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
For experienced yogis, when is the best day to have a yoga session (hatha).....the day of strenuous lifting or running or the day following heaving exertional activity? I'm guessing the day after?
Hatha tends to be slower. You could either do it in the evening if you did a workout in the morning, or do it the next day. I don’t think you’d want to do it consecutively. Sometimes I do lower key yoga classes in the evening if I have done a morning workout/activity. Most classes do have a series of sun salutations or warmups, so you don’t want to be so wiped out that you can’t do them or get the benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness