Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:02 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,404 times

Advertisements

My mum is 82, has no health problems & takes no meds. She lived near the ocean most of her life in large cities & walked several miles/day, no matter her age. Living in a large city, she also had easy, free access (literally, 1/2-block away) to exercise programs, such as yoga twice/wk, line dancing once/wk & weight lifting for seniors twice/wk.

For the past 4-yrs, she's lived inland in a very small town with no nearby senior center (& she doesn't drive) & I can tell her lack of daily exercise is affecting her emotional/mental/physical health... the slippery, icy sidewalks (this small town doesn't shovel/plow like the giant mega-metropolises she's used to) keeps her inside much of the time during winter (she's slipped & fallen thrice on the ice... thank goodness she wasn't badly hurt). In summer, the humid heat, sans ocean breeze also cuts down on her outdoor time... she grew up in eastern EU & is accustomed to Siberian breezes, so she has virtually no tolerance for heat. Sometimes she takes the bus to a local mall to walk about for exercise, but I can tell from speaking with her lately, it's not enough for her mental state & physically, she's gained 10-lbs in 4-yrs. Not a lot, but, like all my family, she's normally skinny & that extra 10-lbs is affecting her comfort level, especially when traversing stairs... she's barely 5'.

She asked me if she walked in place inside, would be the equivalent to walking out of doors & could she drop the extra 10-lbs. When she walked on the beach for many years, she listened to Richard Simmons tapes & seems to really like him. So, we all know any activity is better than none but, is walking in place equivalent to walking outdoors? In other words, for you fitness experts/gurus/junkies, can she loose 10-lbs by walking on place over a series of months?

I haven't seen her in 4-yrs (after a lifetime of living near her & taking care of her) & am worried about her... I can't explain it, but can hear that her voice is different... she's accustomed to getting out & about everyday regardless of weather, but now she's more housebound in a small town. I've tried to get her to move to SoCal but she can't stand the heat... remember, she grew up in Siberia-country-land. Any heat & too much sun affects her in a similar way as those who have SAD... she can't take heat/humidity in even the mildest degree & it forces her to remain indoors.

So, walking in place? Yes? No? I'm still working on getting her to relocate here, but in the meantime, would like to perk up her energy level. Perhaps the Simmons tapes won't help her lose weight, but maybe they'll just jolt her enthusiasm. I'd be interested in hearing from those who experienced the same with elders or who work with them as fitness instructors.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 02:53 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,568 times
My mother isn't quite in her 80s yet, but we had the same issue pretty much, so I kind of know where you're coming from.

My mom is a big walker also--as much for the exercise as for the mental and social aspects. Also, the fresh air & sunshine (even if it's the muted winter kind) does wonders for the mood, and for that reason alone, I wouldn't think that walking in place indoors would be the same.

We had a horrendous winter here and she was snowed in the majority of the time.
What I did was buy her a bunch of fitness DVDs.

Jane Fonda has a series called Prime Time and includes low impact cardio and strength for older people.

There is also the Leslie Sansone DVD series. Her whole program is walking indoors, in place, side-to-side, etc. etc. She has titles like "Walk Away The Pounds". I don't know how accurate it is, but some of the DVD descriptions say you can walk 5 miles in the course of a workout.

You can go to Amazon Prime to look these up and preview the DVDs so you have some idea what they're like and if they would be something your mother could/would do. (You don't need an Amazon account just to browse and preview the DVDs.)

Some of these DVDs are for use with light weights and/or stretchie bands, so you can buy her some of that stuff too. And maybe some brand new workout clothes/accessories. That kind of thing can really perk her up and get her excited to start a new fitness routine.

Seniors like our mothers can get very isolated. I think DVDs could help alleviate that somewhat...I mean, I think it's better than just walking in place by yourself, because you're working out with the people and sounds on the TV screen. It's a small thing, but sometimes the small things make enough of a difference. Maybe you can buy 2 copies of a DVD (they're not that expensive...like in the $10 range, sometimes even less), and then schedule a time (once a week or something) where you do them together while on the phone together.

Also, check to see what senior services her little town offers. The towns around here offer free senior transportation in some form or another...like van service downtown or to the library or grocery store once a week. (It might not have anything to do with fitness, but I'm mentioning it because just her being able to get out and about would be good for her mental state, which, IMO, is crucial to the physical anyway.)

Good luck. We need to look out for our elderly loved ones.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
My mother isn't quite in her 80s yet, but we had the same issue pretty much, so I kind of know where you're coming from.

My mom is a big walker also--as much for the exercise as for the mental and social aspects. Also, the fresh air & sunshine (even if it's the muted winter kind) does wonders for the mood, and for that reason alone, I wouldn't think that walking in place indoors would be the same.
You're right... the fresh air & sunshine is optimal to mood. Social, not so much... my mum's very independent. She just likes to walk & relishes alone time. Yet, I understand her ambivalence about traversing icy sidewalks, which often slope at a sharp angle towards the street in her town. I know indoor exercise is not the same (it's like comparing a stationary bike to road racing, or a Nordic Track to skiing the slopes... but, I've kept in great shape with a Nordic Track for years), but I think it's the 10-lb weight gain, the 1st time in her life save for temp weight gain during pregnancies, which has gotten her a bit down, in addition to being less flexible & comfortable. Don't forget, she's mini-mum... 5', normally weights barely 100-lbs, so 10-lbs is a lot on 82-yr old joints & bones.

Quote:
We had a horrendous winter here and she was snowed in the majority of the time. What I did was buy her a bunch of fitness DVDs.
She was snowed in, too. We also both know how stubborn our mums can be. She's got her Richard Simmons audio tapes. She doesn't have a DVD or VCR player. I wanted to buy/set up one for her... NO! I've invited her to work out with me when I lived near her... she didn't like it. So, we're working here with what we've got to work with... walking in place indoors or taking the bus & walking at the mall. I think his audio tapes are called Sweatin' to the Oldies. She likes them & will use them. I guess I'm wondering if someone who is a fitness trainer can build upon that... maybe if she did them with 1-3 lb weights it would be more beneficial, etc.

Quote:
Seniors like our mothers can get very isolated. Maybe you can buy 2 copies and schedule a time (once a week or something) where you do them together while on the phone together. Also, check to see what senior services her little town offers.
I appreciate the brainstorming. You're tossing lots of unnecessary spanners into the mix. She has no nearby senior services... hence my post here. I wanted to just stick to what I asked... I'm not looking for 2-hr bus rides for her... just a simple solution to her sometimes lack of outdoor walking access.

Quote:
The towns around here offer free senior transportation in some form or another...like van service downtown or to the library or grocery store once a week. (It might not have anything to do with fitness, but I'm mentioning it because just her being able to get out and about would be good for her mental state, which, IMO, is crucial to the physical anyway.)
Yes, she takes the local bus for free to the mall & weather permitting, to all her errands about 1-mi away. Now that she's older, it's a 1 errand day... Mon is bank day, Tues is the P.O., Wed is for rest, etc. In good weather, she walks one way & takes the bus home. She's said it's just not enough, as I said. Maybe I'll just have to tell her to do her RS audio tapes when she can't get outside to give her some motivation. It's going to be hot soon, so she'll be dealing with being indoors more with the heightened eastern humidity. After a lifetime next door to the ocean with its nice ocean breezes, it's hard to adjust at her age. She doesn't like change.

She should come here (but doesn't want to), but I'd need to move... she'd have difficulty with the many stairs around the complex & into my flat.

Thanks, DC.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Patanjali, I would think it would work but I also think she'd get bored in a hurry. My solution out here in a rural area during this very rough winter was to buy a rebounder, which is like a mini trampoline. It's a lot more fun than stationary walking and you can buy a balance bar for something to hold onto while getting used to it. Of course she needn't go ape crazy jumping on it--you get lots of benefits without ever getting the feet off of it. I found an introductory video--it's a commercial one but I'm not pushing a brand--just shows what she could do with one if you want to run it by her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVA6CfuA_a4

Old 04-09-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Patanjali, I would think it would work but I also think she'd get bored in a hurry. My solution out here in a rural area during this very rough winter was to buy a rebounder, which is like a mini trampoline.
Great idea for someone younger, Stepka. She's 82 & in a very small flat. I'd be afraid to let mini-mum bounce around like Cirque de Soliel in her living room. I can hear the phone call now... 'Your mum has splatted all over the ceiling'.

Maybe instead of walking in place, I'll tell her to put on her Walkman tape & march all over the apt, like we kids did when we were little & she told us to cut it out.

How do you like your rebounder? May I ask, did you get it for building strength/cardio, balance or losing weight? Will you substitute it with walking outside instead in the spring?

Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
Didn't read the responses so excuse me if it was mentioned but...what about a treadmill?

Old 04-10-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Didn't read the responses so excuse me if it was mentioned but...what about a treadmill?
She has a very small flat, but don't forget, she's 82... she's not a fast walker, nor is she stable on her feet (she can lose balance if she's not paying attention to her steps) & she'd never be able to move it or fold it up. Also, I live cross-country... I can ship it to her, but who's gonna set it up, move it if it's not the optimal place, etc?

I'm trying to keep it simple. She likes to walk. Honestly, although I said it half-heartedly (I know, you didn't read it), I think having her march around the house, rather than walking, whilst listening to her Walkman, is her best bet on days she can't get outside. At least it's flat & she has a/c for the coming summer humidity.

I was really looking for someone fitness oriented to tell me how long/often she'd need to walk indoors to lose that 10-lbs she's gained & is affecting her mood/physical health. I think she'll feel more comfortable/stable walking out of doors if she feels 'herself' again.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:45 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I was really looking for someone fitness oriented to tell me how long/often she'd need to walk indoors to lose that 10-lbs she's gained & is affecting her mood/physical health. I think she'll feel more comfortable/stable walking out of doors if she feels 'herself' again.
No one can just tell you how many steps-in-place she needs to lose 10 lbs. It depends on her diet, metabolism, and how much exertion she's spending while 'walking'.

Walking is great, but will be hard to do for very long around the house if it's not big. A lot of people go to indoor malls or museums for that reason. If that's not an option then maybe just a mat and some low-impact floor exercises could help supplement the time she can spend walking in place. I use a heavy bag and get a killer workout without moving more than about 8 feet in distance, but I have a hard time picturing an 82 year old lady wanting to do something like that (although she certainly could wight he right bag).

If it's logistically sensible, I'd recommend a spinner because she can just park it in front of the TV or a window and go for hours with low impact on her knees and ankles. Also there's less risk of falling because she's not walking on a moving plan But if she's very limited in her motion she could easily fall while getting on or off of it, so think of that (they have those recumbent ones that are raven easier to use). She could add a couple light dumbbells and work the upper body a little that way. But you'll still have the issue of getting it set up and in place for here. She would need a friend or a trustworthy worker to do that part.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:25 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Walking in place will not give her the same benefits as actual walking, no. It takes less effort to do, so she will have to walk in place for quite a bit longer to burn the same number of calories. She will not expend the energy of moving herself forward while stepping in place.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:14 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Look at the Collage video website. They have a huge collection of DVD's with many geared to older people who may have balances issues, back pain, etc. Also, all the videos are rated by exertion level and difficulty. You can find the Leslie Sansone DVD's there, mentioned upthread, as well as others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness