Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:42 AM

2,225 posts, read 2,385,604 times

Advertisements

I've started to work out more lately and notice that unless my workouts are fun, I won't want to do them very long. Is anyone else like this? For example, I really enjoy biking outside and taking fitness classes like Zumba and Turbo Kick. I think I'd rather have someone slap me in the face than go on the treadmill or elliptical. I find machines dreadfully boring even if I have a TV in front of me. Is it true that the best workouts aren't any fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 10:55 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,789,964 times
Depends on how you define fun and challenge yourself .

There is no set criteria and we are all unique.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:09 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,942,922 times
I think it's important to enjoy the overall workout plan you are pursuing or you will not stay on it consistently. With that said, your energy level may fluctuate from day to day. Some individual workout sessions may not be as enjoyable as others. It's not realistic to believe otherwise. Some days you have to rely on your discipline to get you through. And realistically you should be pushing yourself outside your comfort zone every time you work out. Depending on your view on this, pushing yourself can be unpleasant, but a lot of people truly do enjoy it. There probably isn't a standard "one size fits all" answer to your question, but generally I do not agree that the best workouts are not any fun. Find a plan that can get you to your goals, pursue it, and enjoy doing it. It's not good to continually do something that makes you miserable. Conversely it really is a lot of fun to push yourself and overcome challenges and obstacles.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:18 AM

686 posts, read 1,226,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Depends on how you define fun and challenge yourself .

There is no set criteria and we are all unique.
^^^^ This.

My workouts aren't so much about being "FUN" as they are about leading me to my goal of being as healthy and fit as I can be. Do I enjoy working out? Absolutely. Do I enjoy harder more strenuous "kick my butt" workouts? Absolutely.

Some workouts may be more FUN than others, like a 5 mile trail run in a blooming meadow in light rain will be more fun than 100 burpees with a weight vest on. But the most important thing for any workout is if it is effective and if it leads to the goal of being healthy/fit.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:25 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,789,964 times
Ironic that sometimes I do not want to workout-poor day at work, mucho stress, too many things to do later in the same day,wife bitchy,Game of Thrones on... etc. But I stop by the gym and start moving some weight or running an Alpine Course and then it comes, not fun, but the challenge of meeting/beating the last similar workout. Then it becomes deadly serious. When all done(hour later or so) I look back and it was fun and time well spent.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:09 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,682,845 times
For me any workout can be enjoyable, even on a treadmill or elliptical. The key is good music! If you have good music, or even a good TV show/movie, a workout can seem to go by in minutes. The goal for me is too really keep myself healthy and relieve stress.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:25 PM

2,225 posts, read 2,385,604 times
What do you all think about aerobic and dance workouts like Zumba? Those are my favorite workouts, but I watched this YouTube yesterday and these fitness nuts said that aerobic exercises really don't do anything for you or burn many calories. If you do a Zumba class for about an hour and sweat at the end of it, that should help you lose weight, right?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:02 PM

2,336 posts, read 1,383,057 times
I know plenty of women who do Zumba, they are covered in sweat and burn a ton of calories per class. You want "fun" in your workout, do that or something like kickboxing.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:30 PM

686 posts, read 1,226,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
And realistically you should be pushing yourself outside your comfort zone every time you work out. Depending on your view on this, pushing yourself can be unpleasant, but a lot of people truly do enjoy it.
This is totally true. When I see that I am on pace to break a personal best in a 5k, or set a personal record in a Crossfit workout, I get so totally pumped and excited that it becomes super fun.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:36 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,571,328 times
I love my treadmill, it gives me a great workout with all it's features , so never board~~ Plus I find it be more forgiving on my knees at this age in my life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness