Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 04:58 PM

993 posts, read 1,554,737 times

Advertisements

Those people are putting emphasis on the wrong thing. Their goal shouldn't be to be thin, but instead to be healthy. You won't enjoy a balanced diet from eating at any restaurant every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 09:17 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,571,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Is this proof that portion control matters more than what you eat?

Not proof of whats going on inside the body, that where being healthy really counts!

Old 05-03-2014, 11:14 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,444,700 times
When I was dieting (I need to again) I lost 25lbs and went from a size 12 to an 8. However, I did not eat healthy. I had healthy days, but overall my diet was not healthy. I had pizza, soda, etc. However, I did a lot more exercise. Going to the gym, taking longer walks w/ my dog, etc. I used myfitnesspal in which it gave me how many calories I need to eat a day in order to lose weight. I measured everything too. If I had a bowl of special K or any cereal, I would measure out the serving size. Cheese for tacos - that is one thing I would always add more than the serving size. When I saw the serving size, I was actually quite content.

So, yes you can lose weight by only eating fast food. As long as you are burning off more than what you are consuming, you will lose weight. It's really just a matter of math. Might not be healthy though. Being healthy is important too!

Old 05-05-2014, 04:27 PM

559 posts, read 1,390,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I watched Supersize Me years ago and enjoyed it. But he was eating 5000 calories a day and not exercising.

I was referring to this:

Teacher Loses Weight After Eating Only McDonald's for 3 Months | TIME.com
That reminds me of Fat Head. The writer/director ate fast food for 28 days and lost 12 lbs. His body fat percentage went down 3% according to the device the his doctor used. Like the teacher in the Time article he ate around 2000 calories a day and walked for exercise.

http://youtu.be/evcNPfZlrZs

Old 05-05-2014, 04:54 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,356,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
There is a very well known documentary called Super Size Me, about a healthy young man who did an experiment of eating nothing but McDonalds food every day for an entire month… I highly suggest watching this movie. It's now on YouTube.
Sure, watch it if you want, it's highly entertaining. But realize that it's a MOVIE made to tell a STORY. Yeah, if you eat a super-sized burger, fries and soda three times a day every day you're in for trouble. But 'Fast Food' is not necessarily that unhealthy depending on where you go and what you order. It really depends on the nutritional details and quantity of whatever you're defining as 'fast food'.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:54 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,312,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
Those people are putting emphasis on the wrong thing. Their goal shouldn't be to be thin, but instead to be healthy. You won't enjoy a balanced diet from eating at any restaurant every day.
I agree completely. One could argue that by limiting portions one can lose weight on a diet consisting exclusively of Mars Bars. People of late seem to be emphasizing losing weight and looking as willowy as possible instead of focusing on fueling themselves with the best possible ingredients and getting a sufficient amount of exercise.

I'd rather be strong, supple, energetic and full of stamina than look like a wet hungry chihuahua. (Ref: size 00 Nicole Ritchie)

Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 PM

686 posts, read 1,226,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
This this this ^^^^

Goal should always always ALWAYS be to be healthy. Eating twinkies or whatever stupid diet like that is just idiotic and stupid.

All the smart studies in the world on how to lose weight, and all the smart nutritional advice out there and fat people seek out and find the one that supports their horrible a$$ junk food and you-are-going-to-die-too-soon stupid diets and think "Oh, this sounds good". Stupid.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:17 PM

993 posts, read 1,554,737 times
^ Totally.

But it's not even just fat people. I have a super petite friend who pats herself on the back for eating meals like tofu with iceberg lettuce for dinner every night because it's low calorie and buying the sugar-laden yogurt parfaits from Starbucks every morning because it's "all-natural". People are completely clueless about what it means to eat healthy and clean.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:46 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,959,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Sure, watch it if you want, it's highly entertaining. But realize that it's a MOVIE made to tell a STORY. Yeah, if you eat a super-sized burger, fries and soda three times a day every day you're in for trouble. But 'Fast Food' is not necessarily that unhealthy depending on where you go and what you order. It really depends on the nutritional details and quantity of whatever you're defining as 'fast food'.
WebMD has listed what it considers the 10 best fast food meals:

10 Best Fast Food Meals10 Best Fast Food Meals

Take a look at the sodium content of each one.

One of the worst problems with fast food is the extremely high sodium content.

The RDA of sodium for heatlhy adults is around 2300 mg per day.

With fast food, you can get nearly half of that amount in just one sandwich.

And then there's additional sodium in the side orders, such as French Fries.

The American Heart Association recommends a limit of 1500 mg per day.

About Sodium (Salt)

Quote:
In some people, sodium increases blood pressure because it holds excess fluid in the body, creating an added burden to your heart. Blood pressure rises with age, and eating less sodium now will help curb that rise and reduce your risk of developing other conditions associated with too much sodium, such as stroke, heart failure, osteoporosis, stomach cancer, and kidney disease.

Most people consume about 3,400 milligrams of sodium a day — more than twice the 1,500 milligrams recommended by the American Heart Association.
As an example, here is the Nutrition Info for a Carl's Jr. Turkey Burger:

http://www.carlsjr.com/menu/nutritional_calculator#

Quote:
ORIGINAL*
Serving Size 268g
Calories 490
Calories from Fat 200
Fat 22g
Saturated Fat 4.5g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 80mg
Sodium 960mg
Carbohydrates 45g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugars 10g
Protein 29g
This is the sandwich being promoted by the beautiful, thin model, laying in a bikini on the beach.

Sure it's relatively low in calories ... but the sodium content !!!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,356,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
WebMD has listed what it considers the 10 best fast food meals: Take a look at the sodium content of each one. One of the worst problems with fast food is the extremely high sodium content. The RDA of sodium for heatlhy adults is around 2300 mg per day.With fast food, you can get nearly half of that amount in just one sandwich. And then there's additional sodium in the side orders, such as French Fries. The American Heart Association recommends a limit of 1500 mg per day. As an example, here is the Nutrition Info for a Carl's Jr. Turkey Burger: This is the sandwich being promoted by the beautiful, thin model, laying in a bikini on the beach. Sure it's relatively low in calories ... but the sodium content !!!
It seems that you're biased toward thinking about fast food as a particular thing… Here are some fast food items you did not mention:
McDonalds Apple Slices
Very Berry Hibiscus Starbucks Refresher
Jamba Juice Wheatgrass
Granted, no one is going to get by long term by eating ONLY those things, but the point is 1) the true definition of "fast food" is very broad and 2) if you get creative and eat selectively, there are healthy options to be found just about anywhere. Which was why I said it depends on where you go and what you order.

Last edited by otterprods; 05-05-2014 at 09:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness