Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:45 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
skel was probably talking strictly about weight loss, in which case cals-in, cals-out is ultimately the only thing that really matters. But if you're talking about good health and fitness, then there are many, many other more important factors than just calorie surplus/deficit. So you're really discussing two different things, but it doesn't take a genius to recognize that weight loss alone does not = good health.
Good catch. I always tend to elevate these conversations to good health (which for me is the ultimate goal for diet and exercise), which is not always what everyone else is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:13 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
If this were genuinely true, then one could conclude that a 12 oz Diet Coke (zero calories) is just as healthy as a 12 oz glass of water (also zero calories). If it is as simple of calories in, calories out, Diet Coke is a legitimate substitution for water because the calorie count is the same. I don't think you're going to find too many people out there willing to commit to such a position. Quantity of calories does matter, but quality does as well.
Well,actually you are wrong.

Liquid is liquid,and both the soda and water have 0 calories.
The kidneys react the same to diet soda as they do to water.
That is why someone who drinks diet soda all day is never dehydrated.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

So diet coke is as healthy as water? Is that really what you're saying?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:35 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
So diet coke is as healthy as water? Is that really what you're saying?
I think if you're just trying to lose weight, it doesn't matter how much diet coke you have. It has 0 calories, so it will not make you gain weight. I'm not saying it's the best for your system, but some people just care about getting down to a particular size.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I think if you're just trying to lose weight, it doesn't matter how much diet coke you have. It has 0 calories, so it will not make you gain weight. I'm not saying it's the best for your system, but some people just care about getting down to a particular size.
Right. Otterprods made the same point and I think it is valid. My question was to Jerseygal regarding her "liquid is liquid" comment.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:47 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:

I can tell that you aren't a very health conscious person. Do you really believe what you just typed or are you joking? Diet soda is garbage. Water is not.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-...king-diet-soda

Last edited by Chicago South Sider; 05-30-2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old 05-30-2014, 08:01 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
Quote:

They may both have 0 calories, but one has aspartame and a whole bunch of other crap in it, the other is the same exact substance that 70% of your body is composed of.

Always, ALWAYS drink water. That was the biggest positive change I've ever made to what I put in my mouth on a daily basis.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:35 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
They may both have 0 calories, but one has aspartame and a whole bunch of other crap in it, the other is the same exact substance that 70% of your body is composed of.

Always, ALWAYS drink water. That was the biggest positive change I've ever made to what I put in my mouth on a daily basis.
I agree with you. Probably 90% of what I drink is water. I do not drink pop at all. It's such a pointless beverage.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:13 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I can tell that you aren't a very health conscious person. Do you really believe what you just typed or are you joking? Diet soda is garbage. Water is not.

7 side effects of drinking diet soda - Health - MSN Healthy Living
Quote:
That's bad news for diet drinkers. "These chemicals have the ability to cause severe damage to DNA in the mitochondria to the point that they totally inactivate it--they knock it out altogether," Peter Piper, a professor of molecular biology and biotechnology at the University of Sheffield in the U.K., told a British newspaper in 1999. The preservative has also been linked to hives, asthma, and other allergic conditions, according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest.
Peter Piper was a professor .. who professed a pack of particle papers ....

Old 06-01-2014, 06:46 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Diet soda is great! for removing rusted bolts and other corroded parts; it has phosphoric acid and other chemicals to knock the rust right off. I wouldnt drink it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness