Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:15 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Sure I would right it off. Numerous people work moving dirt, hammering, etc all day, five days a week, for many years (I was a laborer in construction for a couple of years myself). While you may seem tired, you are not, and your body is capable of doing such light work day after day, year after year.

Strength training in the gym, your body would never hold up doing strength training routines every day for years. There is no way someone is going to max their dead lift every day for twenty years, no way are they going to max their sprint, run a marathon, etc. The gym when done as it suppose to be takes a much harder toll on the body than run-of-the-mill construction labor work. I know this because I was a laborer with a backhoe crew for a couple of years, down there shoveling dirt and gravel all day.

So while from a "fitness" perspective it is all fine (but really it is not), from a "strength training" perspective it is not even close to a replacement.
Nobody suggested manual labor as a replacement for targeted strength and fitness training in a weight room. Those of us who have commented on it have simply lauded its application as a fitness implement. You disagree based on your own experience and that is fine. But please remember, your experience is by no means definitive. Conversely I've known some people who were very impressive in the weight room but couldn't keep it moving for more than 10 solid minutes shoveling dirt*. Everyone's experiences are different and what comes easily to one may not so much to another.

*This is why I strive for balance in my regime. It does me no good to gain strength if the only place it applies is in the weight room. It does me no good to be strong if I am winded running up a single flight of stairs in my home. It does me no good to run 10 miles if I am not strong enough to bench at least my own body weight. It does me no good to attempt manual labor if I am too week or lack adequate stamina to be able to execute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Nobody suggested manual labor as a replacement for targeted strength and fitness training in a weight room. Those of us who have commented on it have simply lauded its application as a fitness implement. You disagree based on your own experience and that is fine. But please remember, your experience is by no means definitive. Conversely I've known some people who were very impressive in the weight room but couldn't keep it moving for more than 10 solid minutes shoveling dirt*. Everyone's experiences are different and what comes easily to one may not so much to another.

*This is why I strive for balance in my regime. It does me no good to gain strength if the only place it applies is in the weight room. It does me no good to be strong if I am winded running up a single flight of stairs in my home. It does me no good to run 10 miles if I am not strong enough to bench at least my own body weight. It does me no good to attempt manual labor if I am too week or lack adequate stamina to be able to execute.
My original rely was to Adi, who has expressed specific interest in strength training but had issues getting to the gym. I suggested some non-gym items, but then he said about unpacking some travel bags and carrying a potted tree down the stairs; that is where my reply in which you originally replied to came in. My reply was addressing Adi's specific interest in strength training, and that unpacking some bags is not a substitute (that is where I got into the total tonnage thing).

Old 05-29-2014, 05:42 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
My original rely was to Adi, who has expressed specific interest in strength training but had issues getting to the gym. I suggested some non-gym items, but then he said about unpacking some travel bags and carrying a potted tree down the stairs; that is where my reply in which you originally replied to came in. My reply was addressing Adi's specific interest in strength training, and that unpacking some bags is not a substitute (that is where I got into the total tonnage thing).
And I actually agree with you in the event of that specific example. What Adi described seemed it was of insufficient intensity or length to be considered a legitimate "workout." Where I disagreed with you stemmed more with the idea that tonnage was a good metric for measuring manual labor. I don't think it can adequately compare, especially since muscle movement is less uniform than in the weight room. Have you ever played a pickup game with your friends? Despite how much weight training or cardio you do, if you are not accustomed to playing (think flag football or something like that) you are going to wake up pretty sore the next day. This is why I am not dismissive of manual labor. It's the same concept. The additional motion, shifting, bending, standing...it all adds up. Especially for someone who is just starting out. I suggest if Adi were to take a part time job chopping firewood with an axe until his gym membership kicked back in, I think he'd be ready to up the wattage on himself once he returned to the weight room.

The drawback to manual labor is like anything, your body grows accustomed to it. It's value as a "training" implement is limited. It's more a "life" implement that can be used to break a plateau or serve some other valid purpose. As I said already, I don't view it as a replacement for weight training or cardio training. I definitely view it as a good augment.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
And I actually agree with you in the event of that specific example. What Adi described seemed it was of insufficient intensity or length to be considered a legitimate "workout." Where I disagreed with you stemmed more with the idea that tonnage was a good metric for measuring manual labor. I don't think it can adequately compare, especially since muscle movement is less uniform than in the weight room. Have you ever played a pickup game with your friends? Despite how much weight training or cardio you do, if you are not accustomed to playing (think flag football or something like that) you are going to wake up pretty sore the next day. This is why I am not dismissive of manual labor. It's the same concept. The additional motion, shifting, bending, standing...it all adds up. Especially for someone who is just starting out. I suggest if Adi were to take a part time job chopping firewood with an axe until his gym membership kicked back in, I think he'd be ready to up the wattage on himself once he returned to the weight room.

The drawback to manual labor is like anything, your body grows accustomed to it. It's value as a "training" implement is limited. It's more a "life" implement that can be used to break a plateau or serve some other valid purpose. As I said already, I don't view it as a replacement for weight training or cardio training. I definitely view it as a good augment.
I agree with this.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:07 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
I need to be more consistent.. missed a few days because of work.. trying to get into shape and need to drop 10 more pounds. I am losing calories at work and lifting stuff there, but not what I would call a proper weight lifting session

Old 07-30-2014, 11:09 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
@irlinit....consider a session or two with a personal trainer to help you get started.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
@irlinit....consider a session or two with a personal trainer to help you get started.
I am going to do that. I am currently cutting but still trying to lift and eat protein to maintain muscle mass.. need some help with what I should be doing though, so was already thinking about that

Old 07-31-2014, 12:45 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I am going to do that. I am currently cutting but still trying to lift and eat protein to maintain muscle mass.. need some help with what I should be doing though, so was already thinking about that
Shoot for a gram of protein/lb of lean body mass and cut carbs. That will get you where you want to be.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:10 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
Quote:
Regardless of the goal; looking good naked, losing weight, getting stronger (obviously), you have to lift weights.
This is just a ridiculously inaccurate remark. I can't believe anyone makes such an absolute statement and acts like it's accepted fact. There are millions of people world-wide who never have lifted weights (and never will) and they look remarkable naked or shirtless. Roger Federer has stated repeatedly that he NEVER lifts weights, and he looks damn good without a shirt:

Old 08-03-2014, 03:57 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
For most people....running is not necessary.

OTOH, being able to pick-up something that is fairly heavy and move it or carry it......is a task most people run into very often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness