Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:22 AM

30,349 posts, read 19,122,995 times

Advertisements

Hot yoga will get you in fabulous condition if you do it regularly. I did Bikram and then found out that a GYM in town offers essentially the same thing and you get the club for about the same price...AWESOME.

Unfortunately, I'm now working mega hours in Peru without access to hot yoga...but I will totally go back to it when I leave this job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 11:33 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,097,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Exactly. The first 12 minutes of Bikram is a mind and body test, very discipline oriented. After that, you can drink to your heart's desire.

I remember when I first started Bikram, I drank up all my water half way through. So not cool as you're starting out. And I felt too water logged and bloated to do some of the remaining exercises. however, as time passed, I would have half a bottle of water remaining at the end of the session.

Some bikram pros would not even bring a water bottle to class, that's how disciplined and practiced they were.

I look forward to resuming Bikram soon.
I look forward to returning to Bikram soon too. It got me in great shape right before my wedding. I'm training for a half marathon right now and while I know Bikram would help with that but unfortunately I don't have the time to train and do Bikram right now. The race is Nov. 15th so, Nov 16th I am going to Bikram to help get my muscles in check.

I always admired the pros with no water. I couldn't do that but I did get to a point where I always had water left over. =)

Old 10-15-2014, 11:51 AM

894 posts, read 1,049,778 times
I love Bikram yoga, it's so relaxing. My advice for newbies though: when you drink water sip slowly. You don't want to gulp down half a gallon at once otherwise you'll feel bloated and nauseous.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 937 times
I've been doing Bikram yoga for 5 years now and I'm the biggest fan. It does wonders and can change life 180 degrees starting from health and ending with different values in life and becoming simply a happier person.
I can tell much about it but generally people either love it or hate it. It's not easy so lots of people give up and complain. However Bikram yoga has the biggest followers according to the statistics.
Teachers are asking not to drink water for the first 5 postures and after that drink it moderate during breaks. As a newbie you can drink as much as you want and as often, but I'd still recommend drink during the day or previous day a lot and very little in the class. There is a reason for that and with the time you will understand why.
I don't support Bikram's behavior during the teachers training and that's the reason he was kicked out from SEO of the company. However, the Bikram routine itself is genius and does wonders to people. I was witness to multiple cases where no medicine would help.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:19 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,020 times
I agree with whoever posted that people either love it or hate it, lol
I'm back to doing regular yoga & decided that Bikram is not my thing.
But-- many, many people I'm meeting these days echo my thoughts on this....
It's too intense, it's too restrictive w/ water & it's unnecessary to do yoga in a room that's 105 degrees.
I'll stick to what I'm comfortable with & leave the hot yoga altogether

Old 11-12-2014, 03:45 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,774 times
I did it a few times via groupon and genuinely enjoyed the experience ... Unfortunately what turned me off to doing it was the high cost, also in one class someone hadn't washed their towel/mat between classes and the smell was distracting and unpleasant. They didn't have a policy for hygiene that I saw. Mostly it was the cost.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:08 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I agree with whoever posted that people either love it or hate it, lol
I'm back to doing regular yoga & decided that Bikram is not my thing.
But-- many, many people I'm meeting these days echo my thoughts on this....
It's too intense, it's too restrictive w/ water & it's unnecessary to do yoga in a room that's 105 degrees.
I'll stick to what I'm comfortable with & leave the hot yoga altogether
I agree. I have not tried Bikram, but did try Vinyasa power yoga in a hot room. I did not like it at all. I already do strength training, so I prefer my yoga slow and restorative. I also HATE being overheated or dehydrated.

Bottom line, I don't think hot yoga or power yoga are for everyone. If one has any medical issues (I am diabetic for instance) probably not a good idea. For me, this is not what yoga is supposed to be about, anyway.

But to each their own.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:26 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplituda View Post
I've been doing Bikram yoga for 5 years now and I'm the biggest fan. It does wonders and can change life 180 degrees starting from health and ending with different values in life and becoming simply a happier person.
I can tell much about it but generally people either love it or hate it. It's not easy so lots of people give up and complain. However Bikram yoga has the biggest followers according to the statistics.
Teachers are asking not to drink water for the first 5 postures and after that drink it moderate during breaks. As a newbie you can drink as much as you want and as often, but I'd still recommend drink during the day or previous day a lot and very little in the class. There is a reason for that and with the time you will understand why.
I don't support Bikram's behavior during the teachers training and that's the reason he was kicked out from SEO of the company. However, the Bikram routine itself is genius and does wonders to people. I was witness to multiple cases where no medicine would help.
Yes, Bikram is quite a flashy, controversial, and eccentric guy, but I appreciate him creating Bikram Yoga as it's an awesome and rigorous exercise and yoga routine.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:08 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,634 times
Civil lawsuits saying he's a rapist.

Yoga guru Bikram Choudhury accused of sex assault, rape - CNN.com

Old 02-26-2015, 09:52 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,971,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree. I have not tried Bikram, but did try Vinyasa power yoga in a hot room. I did not like it at all. I already do strength training, so I prefer my yoga slow and restorative. I also HATE being overheated or dehydrated.
Just a note- there are places that offer slower hatha classes and restorative classes in a heated setting.

Hot hatha is actually my favorite way to do yoga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness