Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:25 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
It depends on whether or not she did Bikram or hot yoga. Bikram is really strict about it, hot yoga is much more lenient depending on the studio
It was Bikram...
I'm going to do my 2nd session tomorrow, lol
I'm so glad I know now to hydrate beforehand.
Although I will definitely be the lone rebel in class, drinking my water if necessary.
I figure I paid for the thirty days & I'm going to get my money's worth out of it.
After this, I'm trying the hot yoga......
Next on my list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 02:48 PM

231 posts, read 264,582 times
I think it's normal to feel dizzy a little afterwards. Also, certain postures bring out certain emotions in me right after i am done with the pose..

Old 06-04-2014, 02:58 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I did my first 90 minute class of Bikram hot yoga today; it was intense.
I usually do yoga at home privately- but a friend urged me to try this.
So it's like over 2 dozen poses, with the temp in the room
at appx. 100 degrees....
It was way out of my comfort zone-
I'm shy by nature & also I didn't know what to expect.
But....I did it
The people taking the class couldn't believe I've never done it before, lol
My concern though is the after effects.
I felt a little light headed, a little nauseous & even a little dizzy about 30 minutes after I left.
Is that normal?
I've read too much weird stuff about Bikram yoga and Bikram himself to want to try it, however I've been doing regular hot yoga (Hatha and Vinyasa) for several years now.

The first few times made me feel dizzy, light-headed, and nauseous, but it got better and now it's rare for me to feel like that. You adjust, and you learn to pace yourself.

I wouldn't let anyone tell you not to drink water, but I also wouldn't "guzzle"- that might make you sick. Just stay reasonably hydrated throughout the day and drink a moderate amount when you take breaks.

I've grown to really love it- gained a lot of strength and flexibility and it helps counteract the effects of my desk job.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:41 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Any yoga class I step into becomes "Hot Yoga". Know what Im saying?

Old 06-06-2014, 11:50 AM

877 posts, read 1,316,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
It was Bikram...
I'm going to do my 2nd session tomorrow, lol
I'm so glad I know now to hydrate beforehand.
Although I will definitely be the lone rebel in class, drinking my water if necessary.
I figure I paid for the thirty days & I'm going to get my money's worth out of it.
After this, I'm trying the hot yoga......
Next on my list
Almost everyone I know who tries hot yoga after bikram likes it better. It's less strict

Typically it's recommended that you do bikram 10 days in a row at the beginning lol. Too much IMO

Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,045 times
I did not like it. I am prone to migraines; it gave me the worst one I had in my life.
The class was 90 minutes long, that was too long for any class for me. I love yoga and 60 minutes is great, anything longer, esp hot, was too much for me. I did hydrate and eat well, perhaps that wasn't enough. I had one of the worst headaches (more like a migraine/tension combo) for 3 days straight. I took my prescription injections that always help, but for the first time it did not help me.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I've read too much weird stuff about Bikram yoga and Bikram himself to want to try it, however I've been doing regular hot yoga (Hatha and Vinyasa) for several years now.

The first few times made me feel dizzy, light-headed, and nauseous, but it got better and now it's rare for me to feel like that. You adjust, and you learn to pace yourself.

I wouldn't let anyone tell you not to drink water, but I also wouldn't "guzzle"- that might make you sick. Just stay reasonably hydrated throughout the day and drink a moderate amount when you take breaks.

I've grown to really love it- gained a lot of strength and flexibility and it helps counteract the effects of my desk job.
I'm curious about the "weird" stuff-- If you could elaborate, I'd totally appreciate it.
Because I actually had someone else mention that she had a weird vibe from a different yoga class......

One thing I am addicted to, since starting yoga (been doing it privately for the past few years)
Is the way it makes me so much more flexible...
Idk if I even need hot yoga- yoga itself is wonderful to me

Old 06-07-2014, 03:13 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,061,436 times
The January 2014 issue of Vanity Fair had a big article about Bikram, the training process and allegations of sexual assault - apparently he's quite a wackadoodle. I tried unsuccessfully to post a link but was able to view the article on their website.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
The January 2014 issue of Vanity Fair had a big article about Bikram, the training process and allegations of sexual assault - apparently he's quite a wackadoodle. I tried unsuccessfully to post a link but was able to view the article on their website.
Oh wow- thanks....
I've gotta go check that out

Old 06-10-2014, 05:03 PM

277 posts, read 442,152 times
I do Ashtanga Yoga and if one of the instructors ever said you couldn't drink until they told you to, I'd be outta there so fast. I tried Bikram once and just hated everything about it. I'll happily stick with the 90 degree, unpretentious hot yoga place I go to now. They make it a point at the beginning, and all throughout class to mention that if you need to take a break or rest/modify the pose, to do it - you aren't competing with anyone else in the room. The studio I go to doesn't have mirrors either, which I really like. No random staring.

I had the dizziness and all that after my first couple classes, but I needed to hydrate more. I have one of those larger filter water bottles that I try and drink a full one between getting up and going to class. I usually drink 1/2-3/4 of another one during class, and then some Gatorade after class. Since I've been doing that I haven't had any issues. And sometimes a banana about an hour before class. Anything more or heavier than that within two hours makes me feel gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness