Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 07:57 AM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I don't understand denying the possibility that one can be relatively good at one activity and not good at another for a given level of fitness. What the activity is DOES make a difference. My stepson can not come close to keeping up with me on a bike, does not run, but can wield a pick axe or shovel with vigor all day long. He is addicted to home and yard projects and does this frequently. Is he unfit?
There are a few pretentious folks on this thread that apparently believe that if you cannot run as fast as they do, or ride as many miles as they do, you are not in shape. Most of us know that we can disregard those posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 08:33 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Yes, I am 68 years old.

Don in Austin
And there you have it. I'm sure that, controlling for men within your age group, you are miles ahead of your peers. (See what I did there? ) I'd also be willing to speculate some of the "more elite" members posting here won't be as active at age 68 as you are. Life and time have a way of humbling people. I'm not worried about what the future has in store for me, but I am not so presumptive to know I'll be capable of riding 115+ miles a week when I'm in my 60s. I applaud you.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:38 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I agree. In fact, walking 1 mile burns as many calories as running 1 mile. You just get there faster running, and probably work your respiratory system more. But walking is exercise, definitely.
I used to think this was true also, but the facts are that running a mile burns roughly 26 percent more calories than walking a mile. Running a minute (or 30 minutes, or an hour, etc.) burns roughly 2.3 times more calories than the same total time spent walking. These calculations are all derived from an “average” weight of the subjects; there may be individual variations. Also, age and gender make a difference, though quite a modest one. Your weight is by far the biggest determinant of your calorie burn per mile. When you look at per-minute burn, your pace (your speed) also makes a big difference.

See Running v. Walking: How Many Calories Will You Burn? | Runner's World & Running Times which has links to two research studies that demonstrated this.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:06 PM

104 posts, read 175,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Agreed. Clearly we are talking about two different sets of people.
Disagreed. The older a person gets, their speed becomes more restricted but not necessarily their endurance. I find that for most regular people who pursue running, they focus more on distance than speed. Personally speaking, my HM pace and my 1-mile pace is not that far apart, certainly not 2 minutes.

I mean, how many people have broken the 4 minute mile? Running Times just interviewed a bunch of people who broke the milestone (or was close to it). It's still a big deal. So, there are A LOT of truly serious runners who cannot run a 4 minute mile. But apparently, an average runner can run a 6 minute mile, easy peasy.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:36 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
And there you have it. I'm sure that, controlling for men within your age group, you are miles ahead of your peers. (See what I did there? ) I'd also be willing to speculate some of the "more elite" members posting here won't be as active at age 68 as you are. Life and time have a way of humbling people. I'm not worried about what the future has in store for me, but I am not so presumptive to know I'll be capable of riding 115+ miles a week when I'm in my 60s. I applaud you.
I rode 110 miles today. ttp://www.meetup.com/Austin-Cycling-Meetup/events/187481712/ It got pretty hot before I was done! How long did it take me? Well, I am sure my time would not be considered remotely acceptable by some arbitrary definition of what a "serious" cyclist should be capable of. But, anyway, I did it.

110 miles is "serious" enough for me.

Thanks for the kinds words.

And I really don't run for crap. And I can walk UPstairs all day long but suck at DOWNstairs, (left leg knee issues and imbalances from an injury when I was 14) same with hiking through the woods. I remember going on a long forest hike in Arkansas on a recent vacation steadily climbing a little mountain and thinking this is a breeze, but I am going to have go DOWN, so maybe I should turn around now. Guess that means I am just not fit.

Don in Austin

Old 06-07-2014, 09:41 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Bullcrap.
Well put! Of course walking is exercise. It might not meet some people's elite and arbitrary standards but it is exercise.

That is why people in really terrible shape are out of breath walking 50 yards.

Don in Austin

Old 06-07-2014, 11:30 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
It's all about what you train your body to do. It is very false to say you are out of shape just because you can't run. That total bs. If you don't do something ever or for a very long time and the pick it back up it os going to be much harder. Again, that doesn't mean you are out of shape.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:34 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
If you don't do something ever or for a very long time and the pick it back up it os going to be much harder. Again, that doesn't mean you are out of shape.
That's exactly what "out of shape" means. If I have attained a certain state of physical capability, lay off a while, and then face working back up to it, I had a shape before and I'm not in that shape before. I am "out of shape."

Old 06-07-2014, 11:37 PM

For those of you who runs marathons. Do you start you first few miles and run fast and then slow down or do you keep a steady pace the whole time?

Old 06-07-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's exactly what "out of shape" means. If I have attained a certain state of physical capability, lay off a while, and then face working back up to it, I had a shape before and I'm not in that shape before. I am "out of shape."
But while they don't run they might be swimming, doing other cardio exercises like elliptical, stair steppers, biking etc.
I mean. If you take a great long distance runner and put him in a pool and ask him to swim 3 miles free style in a set time, he will likely not make it. Because he is not use to that form of excersise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness