Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:24 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Walking is good exercise. I am similar. I can walk quite a distance, but running is a different story. Here is a link with some health benefits of walking. Top 10 Reasons to Start Walking. I would just keep walking and not worry about those trying to convert you into a distance runner, but the decision is yours to make. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 11:35 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Walking per se ain't exercise. Just breathing consumes calories - those intercostal muscles don't run on air (!) but that ain't exercise either.

Walking can rise to the level of exercise if you're hiking, if its uphill for a decent amount of time etc. etc., but it needs to be qualified.

The level of self-deceit in this country is astounding.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:52 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
We had to run two miles every single day at the start of practice. I'm not a distance runner, I was a sprinter, so two miles IS distance running to me. And it was not on a track. We started our practice running this horrid two miles on the roads. The roads that were not even level, that had small inclines, and even a *$%@! hill at one point. Hated every last second of it. (Then, when we got done with that, we had to do 100 situps...and THEN we got to practice what events we would be participating in, at the track.) As for your overweight theory, hardly. I was underweight. I can run, I just absolutely hate it. It is completely unpleasant for me.

Edited to add: my best two mile was 13:36. That is not the time of someone who is out of shape.

If a grizzly bear is chasing me, it's going to catch me before the end of two miles. Heck, it would catch me in less than 100 meters. (Someone pointed out grizzly bears earlier...we're not going to outrun a grizzly.)
Your track coach was not very intelligent, that is not an efficient use of training time. In fact, it is counter productive.

My overweight theory was not directed at you. It was directed at people in general. Heavier and larger people are not as efficient at running. I know because I'm between 215 and 220. I've rarely been beaten in a race by someone who outweighs me. I'll never be competitive with the 130lb. guys.

I think running is unpleasant for most people. Some get over it.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:21 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Some people are sprinters instead of distance runners.

I can still run an 11 second 100m dash, but I can't even complete a 1 mile run.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:47 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
If you walk fast enough so that your breathing heavier, and for a decent amount of miles. Then I'd say that's exercise. It also depends on the age of a person. I'm 64 and I walk 5 1/2 miles in around 1 hour 25 minutes on a trail near me. That's a flat surface on that walk. If I do the very hilly leg of the trail then it slows me down more, but it certainly gets you breathing even heavier. I have always walked long distances for exercise, or just to get from A to B. Before that I was a runner, but years of pounding and 3 surgeries on knees, makes me lucky to be able to do all this walking. It's exercise to me, and I combine it with a stair climber at the gym about 3 times a week. 30 minutes each stair climber workout.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The level of self-deceit in this country is astounding.
So are the levels of ignorance and self-superiority.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Running sucks.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:13 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So are the levels of ignorance and self-superiority.
Self-superiority? Do you mean superciliousness?

That's two things now that you've learned from this thread.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I walk a six mile loop each day after work. This follows climbing my building's 27 flights of stairs and running down them twice. My heart rate is super elevated on the stairs and the walk (I power walk) brings it down to a more sustainable level. Several years ago I broke my ankle and it gets inflamed if I run. My sports orthopedic surgeon told me at the time of my break that it was BETTER for me to stop running at my age and focus on less impactful cardio like cycling, swimming and power walking.
I know that the walking has helped my cardio because my stair climbing is always easier when I am sticking with my regimen of long power walks. If I skip the walks or slack off on my walking schedule, the stair climbing is more labored.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Self-superiority? Do you mean superciliousness?
No ... it wasn't ... but thanks for playing along. Here's the booby prize:

su·per·cil·ious adjective \ˌsü-pər-ˈsi-lē-əs, -ˈsil-yəs\: coolly and patronizingly haughty

su·pe·ri·or·i·ty noun \su̇-ˌpir-ē-ˈȯr-ə-tē, ˌsü-, -ˈär-\: the belief that you are better than other people

Looks like you've learned something now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness