Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:30 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
250 calories a day over maintenance for muscle growth.
Fixed number or a percentage of TDEE or other?

Last edited by Felix C; 07-02-2014 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:53 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
You calculate your calories and TDEE based of your age, height, sex etc. Everyone will be a bit different so you judge by the scale goinging up or down every couple of weeks.
Any calculator like iifym.com is going to be an estimate.

And also I second Starting Strength. I did SS for the first 4 months of my lifting career although i did rows instead of cleans.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:04 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
So as of recent, my body has started packing on muscle mass at a quick rate, but I am also feeling very hungry during this period, and feel the need to eat more. My weight isn't an issue right now (still at 179.54 lb for a while), but will muscle building eventually lead to an increase in weight Due to more food consumption ? If so, by how much. Additionally, how do I control my need to eat more.
If you aren't eating to bulk, you won't gain weight. You ultimately have control over how much you eat and, therefore, how much weight you will gain and what your body composition is. The same calorie in, calorie out relationship exists whether you are sedentary and just adding adipose tissue or if you are adding muscle. There's a process known as "clean bulking" in which you maintain your caloric intake at a very precise level so that you will add lean mass without adding fat, but it's extremely difficult to do and requires that you are very disciplined, understand your body exceptionally well and know exactly how much you need to eat to keep from adding fat with the muscle. Most people just eat to bulk while training to grow mass and add strength, then change their diet and/or tweak their routine to cut fat.

I notice that I want to eat more when I'm doing a lot of strength training, but I think most of that is a demand for carbohydrates to replenish depleted glycogen. Sometimes I crave rice, for example. Is that similar to what you're describing?

Old 07-05-2014, 04:57 PM

390 posts, read 824,583 times
After putting on 25 pounds of muscle, I can definitely say that yes, I have more of an appetite now than I used to, despite being older.

If you're a vegetarian, eat lots of whey, casein, soybeans, tofu, etc, but any vegetarian is going to constantly struggle with getting enough protein while not overdoing it on carbohydrate intake.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:53 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Fixed number or a percentage of TDEE or other?

Over a fixed number derived from about a month of tracking intake. Verified by carefully monitoring weight and body fat. It's possible for fat to sneak up 'undetected' to some levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness