Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,286 times

Advertisements

Sup guys im 18 about to turn 19, i recently gained 50lbs- long story short i got into a accident while playing baseball in a D1 School that i had a FULL BASEBALL SCHOLARSHIP too. I was depressed, i hated my life i literally ate all day and didn't care about anyone for about 9months.
But now i need to bounce back up, get back in the game & continue my dreams of getting drafted just like my brother. I used to weigh 195lbs lean muscle but now im 250lbs of fat. I still have my 195lbs body frame if you know what i mean. If you don't ill try to explain it, imagine seeing a strong guy with 6packs and cut biceps, now insead of hard sculpted muscles picture flat skin of fat OVER the muscles but the frame/ concept of being strong is still there.

Anyways i NEED to lose at least 30lbs in about 2months. Im gonna start going back to the gym tomorrow but i just don't know where to start. I've never been fat so i don't really know what the first thing to weight loss is. I have the entire summer to lose weight and get back to where i was, i do work but it won't get in the way, i usually close.

What i plan on doing is the following:
- limiting myself to 1,000 calories a day for the next 60days
- NO JUNK FOOD, NO FAST FOOD, NO FRIED FOOD for the next 60days

- Mon, Tues, Wed =
Treadmill (10mph for 60 seconds, rest for 35-45 seconds & repeat 5 times, then a light jog 5-7mph for 3mins)
Chest, Back, Biceps, Triceps ( 4 sets, 10-15 reps )

-Thurs Frid Sat =
Treadmill (10mph for 60 seconds, rest for 35-45 seconds & repeat 5 times, then a light jog 5-7mph for 3mins)
Legs & some abs ( i will only start to do abs once i reach about 235lbs mainly because abs on a 235lbs guy takes A LONG TIME compared to what it was when i was 195lbs ) Ill also throw in 2 sets, 20 reps of Chest, Back, Biceps & Triceps exercises.

Do you think i can get it done?

Last edited by HighTime; 07-08-2014 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 12:26 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Talk to a coach or trainer! They are professionals, and should know the best way for you to achieve the desired weight loss while still conditioning correctly for your sport.

Below are my thoughts, but any advice you receive from a professional who is familiar with conditioning for your sport should be the advice you follow, rather than anything you read here, posted by myself or anyone else here. Those professionals would not be D1 coaches or trainers if they did not know their stuff, so listen to them!

FOOD:

Good idea to cut out all junk food, but you still need to fuel all the exercise you'll be doing. You also need to eat enough so you don't lose muscle tissue as well as fat. Don't cut back on calories as drastically as dropping to 1,000 cal/day. Cut down food intake some, but make it a modest reduction. Eat just to the point where you start to feel just full but not stuffed.

RUNNING:

You sort of have the right general idea with the running, with your plan to run at a fairly fast pace with breaks between. A version of that idea that works even better for blasting fat is to run without breaks, but with fast intervals thrown in. By fast I mean like sprinting or nearly sprinting.

Instead of a minute at 10 mph, then a complete break, and repeating this five times, try five minutes of non-stop running at a little slower pace, with 15 seconds of sprinting thrown in once every minute, then back to the steady running, then another sprint in the next minute, and so forth.

Try to increase the length of these runs by a minute or two each week. That also means that you should increase the number of sprint/near-sprint intervals, because you should still be doing one of these every minute.

LIFTING:

Is this the number of reps you usually do for your pre-season conditioning? You probably would do best to follow a lifting regimen like the one you did when you were not trying to lose extra fat.

In your usual conditioning do you lift as often as you're planning to here? As in, do you ordinarily throw in the extra 20-rep sets on days off from heavier lifting? You need some time off between workouts with the same muscles. That gives the muscle tissue time to rebuild after working it breaks it down.

This is the process by which muscle adapts and becomes stronger: breakdown of tissue from being worked, then rebuilding, a little stronger, during rest between workouts. Usually you want to have at least one day without working a given muscle between workouts with that muscle.

Last edited by ogre; 07-09-2014 at 12:35 AM..

Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Most of your weight control is through your diet. I would cut out carbs and eat protein type foods in moderation. Eat smaller portions, but more frequently throughout the day to curb hunger. Cut out sweets and other foods with sugars including soda. Might try tea or zero calorie lemonade mix. If you are working out, the proteins will help. I have to be real careful what I eat in the mornings. No cereal, or carb foods in the morning.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:24 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
If you are looking to go full out with it, you should:

Intermittent Fast, meaning you eat nothing and drink only water(lots of it, since we get a bunch of water from food) for 16-18 hours a day, then eat during a 6-8 hour eating window. Do your treadmill cardio during the fast, but keep it low intensity. If you haven't heard of this before and think it sounds crazy, fear not. There is lots of science on the matter and fasting is healthy.

I assume you were eating a ton of carbs right? In the form of junk food? You should work on getting your insulin sensitivity back. Fasting helps with that, as does a low carb diet in general.

You cannot and SHOULD NOT eat 1000 calories a day for 60 days at your lean size. That is just not enough, it will end up hurting you more then helping. Stick to at least 1500 a day, high protein, 60-80g's of fat and low carb(only time you eat carbs is post weight training, and keep it to 200g's, and eat lean cuts of meat on those days). Aim for 800g's of uncooked meat a day, a mix of lean and fatty cuts. If you only get 600 some days don't sweat it, just be in the ballpark.

If you do that consistently you will lose the weight. Good luck! I'm doing the same thing and I'm cutting down from 200 to ~190 by mid august, followed the same protocol to get from the 230 range down to 200.

Oh yeah, workouts. Why would you do the same muscle groups 3 days in a row? I highly suggest you weight train only a couple times a week and hit it hard when you do (squats, deadlifts, pullups, kettlebells, maybe some benchpress, etc). My advice above about eating 200g's of carbs post workout does NOT apply if you are weight training 5 days a week, lol. Weight loss is a result of diet, not exercise. Abs are made in the kitchen. Plus, you need recovery time in between workouts, that is an integral part of weight training.

Plus, working out and building muscle is not an easy feat when your in a caloric deficit, the point of weight training when cutting body fat down is to preserve lean mass more then it is about building more. It can be done, but it shouldn't be your focus.

Last edited by tofur; 07-09-2014 at 05:39 AM..

Old 07-09-2014, 05:35 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Yep....water fasting will do the trick, but it's not for the weak minded since some people can't get their mind past the idea of just drinking water for several days and think they're going to die. Breaking a water fast slowly and properly is also very important to reap the benefits so study up on it before you dive into a fast without knowing the guidelines.

This FAQ may help answer some of your questions about water fasting and the associated forum has members with many years of experience to help guide you. What are the common stages of water fasting and what occurs at various stages during the fast? > Fasting > Water Fasting FAQ

Old 07-09-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Yep....water fasting will do the trick, but it's not for the weak minded since some people can't get their mind past the idea of just drinking water for several days and think they're going to die. Breaking a water fast slowly and properly is also very important to reap the benefits so study up on it before you dive into a fast without knowing the guidelines.

This FAQ may help answer some of your questions about water fasting and the associated forum has members with many years of experience to help guide you. What are the common stages of water fasting and what occurs at various stages during the fast? > Fasting > Water Fasting FAQ
He absolutely does not have to fast for several days at a time.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:50 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
It can be done, but Id be worried about working out on 1000 calories.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Talk to a coach or trainer! They are professionals, and should know the best way for you to achieve the desired weight loss while still conditioning correctly for your sport.

Below are my thoughts, but any advice you receive from a professional who is familiar with conditioning for your sport should be the advice you follow, rather than anything you read here, posted by myself or anyone else here. Those professionals would not be D1 coaches or trainers if they did not know their stuff, so listen to them!
You would be shocked at how little most coaches know, how much hearsay and bro science fills their heads.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:50 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
When my daughter was in her teens she lost 35 lbs in 3 months, so it can be done if one really wants to. You simply have to stick to your guns about what your goal is. I don't remember her diet, but I do recall she ate a lot of canned tuna, which she liked. Baked potato is also good and green vegetables. Don't starve yourself or you will quickly gain it back after losing it. Drink plenty of water. Broiled chicken is good. If you think a dessert is necessary, it takes about 2 weeks to break the habit. A fruit can help with that.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:36 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Everytime I want to lose weight quickly I do kettlebell swings. For diet I kept it simple when I needed to drop 40 pounds and I did not eat anything white: no sugar, no breads, no milk, no white rice or potatoes. Made it easy and I didn't have to count calories.

To help jump start my weight loss I also drank all of my meals other than dinner for the first week. Had either a green smoothie or protein shake for breakfast, lunch and snack. For dinner ate chicken & veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness