Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 03:23 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTime View Post
What i plan on doing is the following:
- limiting myself to 1,000 calories a day for the next 60days
I wouldn't do that if you want to get drafted.

You're an athlete, not a model or a beach bunny.

You will lose the weight, but you will not be happy with the results at the end of the day, and will certainly lose a lot of muscle; I would argue that you're better off at 250 than you would be after two months at 1000 kCals a day. I agree with the no junk part of it, but at 1000 calories, you will be in worse shape than you are right now; unable to hit it out of the infield, and winded running to first.

While I know that its a bit controversial on the long term, but for you and your goals, I recommend a paleo diet. I recently cut 15 pounds of fat (measured by a physiologist, with calipers, etc) on a 30 day strict paleo diet; others at my gym had similar results. I ate a fair amount too, and never really felt hungry. Steak, Chicken, Pork, Lots of Vegetables, some fruit, no corn, legumes, or potatoes, NO ALCOHOL (that was the hardest for me.) If you don't know how it achieved its appearance between the farm and your table, don't eat it. Keep a daily log, but don't freak out and "punish" or "reward" yourself if you come in heavy or light one day.

For Exercise, I think you have a decent plan as far as the cardio portion of it. If you can run outside, do so; do something like ten 100 meter sprints instead of the treadmill, then jog if you want to.

I would focus on lower rep/higher weight for the strength portion of it. Something like a 5x5 at 75% scheme for squats, bench, overhead press, deadlifts, (this all assumes that at your level, you've had and have access too decent advice on form.) Building muscle will also help your body metabolize fat.

Don't hold off on doing ab work. You should do it at 250 as sure as you should at 190.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 03:25 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
It will be pretty hard to lose 30 pounds in 2 months. That's almost 4 pounds a week.

You will have to chop out 500 cals per day and hit the exercise bike twice per day, for 1.5 hours each time.

Or you can starve yourself and do less exercise but you'll end up as a pile of crap afterwards.

All the other stuff like HIIT, weightlifting, etc is pointless for this kind of weight loss.

Losing 30 pounds in 2 months is just an exercise in working through the pain.

Not recommended but can be done. Guys who have to make weight for military, etc. have done it.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:41 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times
2-3 pounds per week of fat is the most you can really expect to lose while still maintaining muscle. Get on a strength training program (madcow, SS, SL, etc). 1000 calories a day is laughable at your size and weight. Have some realistic expectations for crying out loud.

Screw cutting fats or carbohydrates out of the diet completely. Just be sure to get enough protein to maintain (perhaps even build a little muscle if you believe in body recomposition). I would suggest at least 200 grams per day. 240 would be even better (helps you feel full). The rest of your calories can be split however you see fit between fats and carbs (hint, you'll feel "fuller" ingesting complex carbs over sweets and white flour). Source your calories from sources as natural as possible (real foods). Monitor your weight weekly and adjust intake as necessary. Paleo is a good way to go, but wouldn't follow it religiously. Potatoes, rice, and beans aren't the end of the world. Far bigger demons out there...

Last edited by Philosophizer; 07-09-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 04:07 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Sit in a cold tub of water every night. Cold. Add ice. Your body will be using so many calories to keep itself warm that the weight will disappear.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:03 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Eliminate animal fat from your diet. That's all. You'll lose plenty by Sept.

Cardio is always the fastest way to lose weight as far as exercise. Swim, bike, jog, powerwalk...
I greatly increased my fat intake when I lost the weight, and a lot of the intake was from animals. Bison, grass fed beef, and a LOT of bacon and eggs. I also used heavy whipping cream in coffee and cooked almost exclusively with virgin coconut oil.
I would also argue that you will lose more weight by lifting weights than with cardio, it spurns an energy burn for a much longer period of time and you get a lot more bang for your buck. If nothing else, the added strength gives better posture and muscle mass so the fat remaining has a better shape to structure around lol.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:59 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
An athlete on a D1 full baseball scholarship will have access to a full time weight/strength/fitness trainer.

Go talk with him/her.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:52 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
An athlete on a D1 full baseball scholarship will have access to a full time weight/strength/fitness trainer.

Go talk with him/her.
I highly doubt this guy had a DI full baseball scholarship. DI schools have a maximum limit of 11.7 scholarships, which are usually divided among up to 27 players. Players on scholarship are getting from 25% to 65% of a full scholarship. Many schools are not fully funded and don't give the NCAA maximum limit of scholarships.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 PM

641 posts, read 240,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTime View Post
Sup guys im 18 about to turn 19, i recently gained 50lbs- long story short i got into a accident while playing baseball in a D1 School that i had a FULL BASEBALL SCHOLARSHIP too. I was depressed, i hated my life i literally ate all day and didn't care about anyone for about 9months.
But now i need to bounce back up, get back in the game & continue my dreams of getting drafted just like my brother. I used to weigh 195lbs lean muscle but now im 250lbs of fat. I still have my 195lbs body frame if you know what i mean. If you don't ill try to explain it, imagine seeing a strong guy with 6packs and cut biceps, now insead of hard sculpted muscles picture flat skin of fat OVER the muscles but the frame/ concept of being strong is still there.

Anyways i NEED to lose at least 30lbs in about 2months. Im gonna start going back to the gym tomorrow but i just don't know where to start. I've never been fat so i don't really know what the first thing to weight loss is. I have the entire summer to lose weight and get back to where i was, i do work but it won't get in the way, i usually close.

What i plan on doing is the following:
- limiting myself to 1,000 calories a day for the next 60days
- NO JUNK FOOD, NO FAST FOOD, NO FRIED FOOD for the next 60days

- Mon, Tues, Wed =
Treadmill (10mph for 60 seconds, rest for 35-45 seconds & repeat 5 times, then a light jog 5-7mph for 3mins)
Chest, Back, Biceps, Triceps ( 4 sets, 10-15 reps )

-Thurs Frid Sat =
Treadmill (10mph for 60 seconds, rest for 35-45 seconds & repeat 5 times, then a light jog 5-7mph for 3mins)
Legs & some abs ( i will only start to do abs once i reach about 235lbs mainly because abs on a 235lbs guy takes A LONG TIME compared to what it was when i was 195lbs ) Ill also throw in 2 sets, 20 reps of Chest, Back, Biceps & Triceps exercises.

Do you think i can get it done?
If I could recommend anything it would be to remove all fake sugars (which are even found in regular sugared gum), and eat only foods with ingredients that don't come out of a lab. Removing high fructose corn syrup from the diet has also benefited people losing weight. Make sure you hydrate w/"clean" water, use a filter if you are drinking city water. Most important is to do aerobic as anaerobic workouts. Monitor you measurements, as muscle weighs more than fat, and when one sees the scale not moving they become discouraged. You will be surprised to see your measurements continue to decrease even if the scale isn't. Do allow yourself a weekly treat, research shows that people who allow themselves a day or two w/o strict dieting actually help boost their metabolism, and keep one from feeling deprived.

Good luck, weight is so easy to put on, and such a chore to remove. Avoid diet fads, eat lots of fruits and vegetables (preferably raw or minimally cooked). Avoid processed foods, and if possible avoid meats that have hormones and/or antibiotics. Take time to rest, meditate, and laugh, all help the mind, which is often frustrated when trying to lose weight.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:49 PM

291 posts, read 392,386 times
I swear to god I'm not a Beachbody coach, but if I were you, I'd fork out for Insanity or P90X and do the diet just like they say. Maybe not Shakeology--you could easily do a cheaper shake--but otherwise, the calorie counts, etc. They have it all calculated it out and it's not too low calorie, and it's not impossible.

You'd almost certainly achieve your goal doing Insanity and following that meal plan. You'd get there by about Sept. 15, too.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:08 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,899 times
Hello,

I did Weight Watchers for a million years -- so I had good eating habits -- but then my dr. put me on Welbutrin.

It took away all my food cravings. Nobody believes me, but look into it -- it's true.

Good luck,

Alley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness