Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:22 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,291,839 times

Advertisements

I try hard not to go to the gym during the busy hours so I can avoid the crowds. However, sometimes, I have no choice.

I am not a weight lifter, I am there for overall fitness and to maintain normal body weight. I don't rest in between exercises. If I need to rest a muscle group before the second set i will jump to another machine and work a different set of muscles while getting ready for the second set. In this manner I am always doing something.

Whenever the gym is busy there are people that will get on a machine do a set for about 30 secs and then rest for 5-8 minutes between sets while texting. They make no effort to get off the machine so other people can use it. They just sit there texting and when everything is done they have occupied machine for 15 minutes. Sadly they only exercise for about 1.5 minutes and the rest of the time is texting while sitting on the exercise equipment.

I will say these folks are mostly young males that do not look too smart. Women rarely do this, but when they do the texting seems to take less time.

How can I deal with these people?

Last edited by Julian658; 07-17-2014 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,960,982 times
You can ignore them or ask if you can work in-between their sets on the equipment they are using. Meanwhile, continue to do what you are doing (being a great role model) and eventually these folks will catch on.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,258,316 times
I politely say "move it mofo!"

Old 07-17-2014, 10:58 AM

157 posts, read 228,127 times
Preach it! I've developed a pretty consistent machine routine which allows others ample time to do their sets. But the other day there was a guy taking those 5-8 minute rests while surfing the internet. I asked him if I may use the machine after him to politely imply he was taking an unusually long time, to which he replied he had one more set. Fifteen minutes later I had my turn.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:00 AM

10,295 posts, read 10,541,667 times
If you ask if you can work in, most people will gladly oblige. There are a few who will think you are interrupting their workout. These are people who usually do 3-5 sets in fairly quick succession (not rest for 5-8 minutes between sets) and they will act like they own that piece of equipment until they are done.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:13 PM

214 posts, read 229,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I try hard not to go to the gym during the busy hours so I can avoid the crowds. However, sometimes, I have no choice.

I am not a weight lifter, I am there for overall fitness and to maintain normal body weight. I don't rest in between exercises. If I need to rest a muscle group before the second set i will jump to another machine and work a different set of muscles while getting ready for the second set. In this manner I am always doing something.

Whenever the gym is busy there are people that will get on a machine do a set for about 30 secs and then rest for 5-8 minutes between sets while texting. They make no effort to get off the machine so other people can use it. They just sit there texting and when everything is done they have occupied machine for 15 minutes. Sadly they only exercise for about 1.5 minutes and the rest of the time is texting while sitting on the exercise equipment.

I will say these folks are mostly young males that do not look too smart. Women rarely do this, but when they do the texting seems to take less time.

The best way to use a machine if someone else is on it is to just saunter up to them and politely ask, "How ya doing? Mind if I work-in a set with you?" I've never been refused when I do this, except in the case where they might say "I just have one more set and I'm out of here" and in THAT case then the machine will be yours anyway.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:19 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,984,232 times
Quote:

Typically, one simply asks, "may i work in?"

Old 07-17-2014, 01:36 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,291,839 times
I guess I am one of those guys that does not ask to get in a set. I may have to do that. Thanks for the suggestions!

This is a new gym and I think I may soon go back to my old more expensive gym. I just discovered the cheaper gyms are more crowded with folks that do not have a clue about gym courtesy.

Why do this people take the phones into the work out area and get all the germs on the phone keypad?

Why is texting such a priority while working out?

And don't get me started about the women with hardly any clothes on! How in the world is one supposed to work??

Old 07-17-2014, 03:20 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,367,353 times
Germs, really? How many phones now days have a key pad?

And people are just resting between their sets, normal, especially when lifting heavy in which rests can be upwards five to seven minutes on the heaviest sets. Texting gives someone to do while just waiting for the time to count down.

The normal thing to do is just ask to work in, or ask how many sets they have left.

The people who drive me crazy are the circuit trainers, who think they are allowed to use five or more equipment and get all angry when someone else uses any of them while they are doing their circuit.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:24 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,882,423 times
Quote:

Work out at home. It works great for me. I got really tired of the gym for precisely that, among other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness