Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:47 PM

179 posts, read 247,976 times

Advertisements

I've encountered two cyclists recently who were just rude and assumed too much for their own good, that said I'm not going to slam all cyclists, just that there are rude cyclists, pedestrians and drivers in the world. Doesn't do any good to lump them together.

My pet peeve is cyclists who ride up on the right at stop signs. You want to be treated as vehicles with equal rights to the road, yet you do something so rude and dangerous. Sorry you need to put a foot down, but that's your problem.

My latest encounter was a cyclist who was coming from the left as I approached an intersection. I came up to the crosswalk portion (not a marked crosswalk but were the sidewalk intersects, confirmed there were no pedestrians then crept a bit forward to see past the parked cars to my right. Well the cyclist from my left must have thought I was thinking about running the stop sign and admonished me with a judgemental shaking of the head...man I wanted to chase him down and give him a piece of my mind. But at my age I have few pieces to give, I took a deep breathe and convinced myself that at the end of the day I'll still be a areasonable nice person and he'll still be an A$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 02:13 PM

522 posts, read 721,631 times
I know I announce my approach to parents with kids when I see that parents suck at controlling their offspring. I've seen kids take off right in front of the cyclist before.. That's, probably, why I just hop off the pavement to get as much room as possible (my bike is designed to handle, essentially, anything).

If the situation was truly what OP describes, I'd have a few expletives to share with the cyclist myself.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDad View Post
the cyclist from my left must have thought I was thinking about running the stop sign and admonished me with a judgemental shaking of the head… he'll still be an A$$.
That's an awful lot of assumption. Maybe he's had about 500 cars actually run stop signs in front of him and has a habit of shaking his head as a little extra defense. Or maybe he was admonishing/judging you, but why not give the benefit of the doubt? Besides 'shaking of the head' seems pretty minor compared to some of the encounters I've had or heard of. I once had a co-worker whose brother was run off the road by a guy who then proceeded to smash his window, and beat him to death.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:22 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
I didn't read all the replies.

I'm a cyclist and use a path as part of my commute route to get to work - pretty much 5 days/week. It's a busy path - as you describe yours. We're talking about something called a MUP or MUT (multi use path/trail).

I'm a roadie (pumped out in compression gear and such) and am often vilified just because. To us real roadie's, pedestrians have right of way, roller bladers have right of way, skateboarders, runners, etc. We don't use the path for fitness. We ride slow and are patient - very patient. If we have a clearing, we sometimes punch it, but mostly we are slow until we get on the road.

This particular cyclist you mention sounds like a nutcake. She would have been upset with you regardless of what mode of transport she was using because she feels entitled - you were on her path after all. It's so ironic - as cyclists, we get motorists yelling idiotic things at us (get on the sidewalk, get off the road, etc.) and we complain bitterly and point out their stupidity. Then, some of us (too many I think) do the same thing!

Yeah, she went way overboard but to play Devil's advocate just a wee it, you could have been more thoughtful and considerate to all the MUP users as well by stepping out of the way to make any adjustments.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:24 PM

898 posts, read 937,613 times
Pedestrians > Equestrians > Cyclists > Automobiles

Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I'm so confused. I've seen 80+ year olds taking lazy walks down the path.
I'm an avid cyclist and I'm confused too! IMHO you didn't do anything wrong. The attitude displayed by the rider is why riders have to fight to use multi-use trails.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think you should contact whoever is responsible for your trails and report the incident. They need to know so they can do a better job with right of way signage.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I'm sorry if this is the wrong subforum, I just didn't know where else to ask this question!

On a path with no signage indicating right of way for bicycles or pedestrians... who should have right of way?

I ask because today my babies and I went to a popular park to walk on the path around the lake. There is always a mix of parents with strollers, joggers, walkers and a LOT of cyclists. The path is wide with a line down the middle so people can keep to the correct side, dependant on direction.

Today, after a while in the stroller, my 1 year old started fussing to get out and wanted to help me push the stroller (double stroller with his 1 month old brother in it). So, we were walking along, albeit a bit slower now as I was going at my 1 year old's pace.

Most cyclists and joggers past around us no issue.

Then, I heard a bell ringing behind me and even though I ensured the cyclist had ample room to pass she started yelling and cursing at me to "get off the path!" And get out of her &#$% way. Even though she had at least 2 clear yards to the side of us to pass, she came so close that her bicycle clipped a toy that was hanging from the side of the stroller. Even as she passed, she was still yelling and swearing, saying we were "too slow" for the path.

I'm so confused. I've seen 80+ year olds taking lazy walks down the path.

That aside though, should pedestrians step off the path onto the grass for cyclists coming up behind them to pass? Or should cyclists just cycle around pedestians?
Carry a small stick to accidentally stick in the spokes. Works every time.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:36 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Carry a small stick to accidentally stick in the spokes. Works every time.
This! lol

Old 04-13-2017, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 408 times
People with strollers are the most obnoxious of all users of sidewalks. The double strollers are even worse and should be banned from sidewalks.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:49 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith77 View Post
People with strollers are the most obnoxious of all users of sidewalks. The double strollers are even worse and should be banned from sidewalks.
Where do you suggest a person with two stroller age children walk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness