Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:25 PM

2,828 posts, read 4,317,622 times

Advertisements

Lower your risk of death from heart disease or stroke with just 5 mins. of running every day.

Read the article..

https://www.yahoo.com/health/running...129146072.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 08:08 PM

877 posts, read 1,310,213 times
Well, that's assuming everything else is in check, like your lifestyle (sleep, minimal stress, no drugs/alcohol/smoking) and your diet is based on moderation

I run quite a bit and I'll admit part of the reason why I run and cross train is because my dad has type 2 diabetes and BOTH of his parents died from heart disease (within a 2 year span!). So I really do have big motivation, despite only being 20 years old.

But I also know that I do run in excess. There's no reason for me to run 13 miles 3 or 4 days a week.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Well, that's assuming everything else is in check, like your lifestyle (sleep, minimal stress, no drugs/alcohol/smoking) and your diet is based on moderation

I run quite a bit and I'll admit part of the reason why I run and cross train is because my dad has type 2 diabetes and BOTH of his parents died from heart disease (within a 2 year span!). So I really do have big motivation, despite only being 20 years old.

But I also know that I do run in excess. There's no reason for me to run 13 miles 3 or 4 days a week.
It sounds to me like you are doing the right thing for yourself. Even if it is a little too much, as long as you're comfortable with your routine.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 AM

6,430 posts, read 7,718,985 times
Ahhh yes, Yahoo - the cornerstone of great advice.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:47 AM

157 posts, read 227,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Ahhh yes, Yahoo - the cornerstone of great advice.
It's second in bad Q&A only to Wikianswers.

I love all these reports claiming regular yet minimal exercise will do a body good. I'm going to assume that anyone who would consider the minimum doesn't want to be active to begin with. You either do or you don't.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:33 PM

It doesn't matter who reports the news as long as they cite their sources. Yahoo is not the one that did the study to begin with. If the source is stated in the article, and you are skeptical, you can always search out the original source (the people doing the studies). The complaint shouldn't be against Yahoo.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:47 PM

6,430 posts, read 7,718,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
It doesn't matter who reports the news as long as they cite their sources. Yahoo is not the one that did the study to begin with. If the source is stated in the article, and you are skeptical, you can always search out the original source (the people doing the studies). The complaint shouldn't be against Yahoo.
I think it matters a lot where people get their news. And if one is looking for credibility, Yahoo isn't the first place that comes to mind ya know.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:09 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,087,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapeaz View Post
It's second in bad Q&A only to Wikianswers.

I love all these reports claiming regular yet minimal exercise will do a body good. I'm going to assume that anyone who would consider the minimum doesn't want to be active to begin with. You either do or you don't.

Not really. I was extremely active: 40+ years in a ballet studio, danced middle-eastern professionally, rode horses, etc. A triple spinal fusion slowed me way down with the doc saying I could no longer exercise like I did or I'd be back in a year with more surgery and then never be able to bend over. In short, I'd LOVE to exercise a lot more but have to do just the minimal amount to prevent further injury. But yes, I'm vegetarian, don't smoke, drink little, eat well, etc.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:18 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,775,696 times
Maybe its me. I read the article, but it takes me 10 minutes to break a sweat running, not sure if 5 minutes would do much.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:15 AM

83 posts, read 148,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi
Maybe its me. I read the article, but it takes me 10 minutes to break a sweat running, not sure if 5 minutes would do much.
I agree. However, the headline is very misleading.

Quote:
Less could be more when it comes to the healthy-heart rewards of running: A new study has found that people who ran just 50 minutes or less per week received the same benefit — three extra years of life — as those who ran more than three hours weekly.
The study is not about daily amounts of activity at all, but about weekly amounts. There is a big difference. It speaks of health benefit for people who practice running for 30-50 Minutes per week. I am sure that most people in this category run 50 minutes once a week - or maybe 25 minutes twice a week, but not 5-10 Minutes every day (which would be less than a mile).

The only scenario I can imagine for running 5 minutes every day is consistently beeing late for bus or train - and the stress involved would probably cancel out any health benefits

I can attest to the benefit that once a week running has on wellbeeing - which is even more important to me than longevity, so the article has a good point in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness