Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:25 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,779,786 times

Advertisements

I am finally going to embrace Yoga. As I age (52) I am finding I need more variety and I need to dial back some of the intensity. I have always avoided Yoga because for me I thought if I wasn't burning it out I was not getting a good workout. I am still skeptical. I would love to hear from some people who have embraced Yoga as an enhancement to their regular workouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 02:17 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,414,272 times
it is one of the best things you can do especially as you get older. I help with strenght, balance and flexibility.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:12 PM

30,000 posts, read 18,827,290 times
I'm a couple of years older than you and I have practiced yoga about 3 times a week in the last year. It has tremendously increased my balance and flexibility and my whole body feels better. I also lift 3 times/wk and bike often in the warmer months.

I'm very happy with yoga and feel it's the most important exercise as you age.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,472,107 times
I LOVE yoga. Warning - it's addictive. And you can find some pretty intense yoga workouts too by the way. They're not all "sweetness and light."

I find myself often using yoga techniques automatically and naturally in stressful situations now. It's so helpful in so many ways and I always feel GREAT when I'm done with an hour session.

One aside note - I had a severe achilles tendon injury and surgery earlier this year. I lucked up and found a yoga channel on youtube that was aimed at people who were wearing a cast or had a leg injury! WOOHOO! I got down on the floor and did those yoga classes and my big sweet loving dog would come into the room and lay down beside me. At first I was irritated with her because she was so in my way, but soon I realized that she'd settle down after a few minutes and just lay beside me or near me instead of ON me. So I'd do the yoga and then do relaxation techniques with my dog, who LOVED it and who would curl up right next to me or lay her big ol head on my arm or my leg as I was meditating and finding that inner peace. Anyway, I'd imagine her love for me coursing down toward my incision and I'd imagine healing and WOW it felt wonderful. My doctor told me that I healed faster than any patient he had ever seen - and I told him it was due to my doga classes!

Old 07-29-2014, 04:14 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,009,148 times
About 2 months ago I started doing Pilates (mat) which I adore. It helped that I already had strong core muscle strength and I easily transitioned into the advanced class within a few weeks - I also take a TRX class once a week - would take it more often if I could....I do several yoga positions at home 4 times a week along with general stretching, crunches and upper body weights. I am 63 and am having so much fun with all this.

I find that Pilates and yoga are quite different but both are very beneficial - I feel terrific afterwards because neither is exhausting.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:40 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,351,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am finally going to embrace Yoga. As I age (52) I am finding I need more variety and I need to dial back some of the intensity. I have always avoided Yoga because for me I thought if I wasn't burning it out I was not getting a good workout. I am still skeptical. I would love to hear from some people who have embraced Yoga as an enhancement to their regular workouts.
Yoga is GREAT. I practice Vinyasa yoga which is a bit more flowing than other types and is what was practiced by the warriors of India to increase their power. I've tried other forms of yoga, but Vinyasa is really where its at for me.

Its a perfect addition to my fitness routine. I HIGHLY suggest you find a vinyasa teacher/class somewhere near you and try it out. Usually first class (or two) is free so you can get an idea of what its like. DO NOT try to learn it via computer/youtube/yoga app. You really need to get the basics from a qualified instructor. It is NOT one of those things you can learn online.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Yoga is GREAT. I practice Vinyasa yoga which is a bit more flowing than other types and is what was practiced by the warriors of India to increase their power. I've tried other forms of yoga, but Vinyasa is really where its at for me.

Its a perfect addition to my fitness routine. I HIGHLY suggest you find a vinyasa teacher/class somewhere near you and try it out. Usually first class (or two) is free so you can get an idea of what its like. DO NOT try to learn it via computer/youtube/yoga app. You really need to get the basics from a qualified instructor. It is NOT one of those things you can learn online.
I am very interested in doing Vinyasa. I go to a place that is a dedicated yoga studio and they offer every practice imaginable. Right now I am doing the beginning yoga classes to get my feet wet and to learn the basic poses. I will eventually move on to Vinyasa.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:37 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,490,892 times
I'm 65+ years old, have been practicing yoga 6X a weeks since 2008.

I also walk/jog/run 3-4 miles, 4X a week and lift weights 2X a week.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:10 AM

6,448 posts, read 7,750,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I have always avoided Yoga because for me I thought if I wasn't burning it out I was not getting a good workout.
Yoga does offer a good workout.

"burning it out" on every workout is not the way to exercise. Unless your exercise is very sporadic, and even then actually.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Yoga does offer a good workout.

"burning it out" on every workout is not the way to exercise. Unless your exercise is very sporadic, and even then actually.
I know, but I enjoy pushing myself. I do this 4 days a week. But now with Yoga, which I am really digging I am really going to dial it back. I think I may concentrate on yoga, swimming and some weights. And Yoga I can do more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness