Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:58 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,359,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And trans fats should be TOTALLY avoided at all costs.
Don't speak for anyone else. They might be bad for you. To presume to tell anyone else what to eat is sheer hubris. Eating is a personal choice and a highly individual one. What do we marathoners gouge on after a race? Generally ice cream and beer. Don't tell me we're not healthy because we crave trans fats. Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,377,605 times
I never bother about fats.. just calories in/vs calories out

Old 08-19-2014, 04:00 PM

3,321 posts, read 7,932,960 times
It's not just about calories, its about empty calories. A sandwich is way too vague. Grilled cheese compared to a turkey sandwich filled with veggies and whatnot is very different.

Fasting will just make you skinny fat. Skinny in a shirt, disgusting without. If you want to get firm, tight, and feel better, exercising is really the only way.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,188,970 times
I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I've read in the past that IF can throw a woman's hormones out of whack and either stall weight loss (even if you eat the same amount of calories after the fast) or lead to weight gain. For myself, I fell into IF by accident (it wasn't intentional, I simply wasn't hungry from dinner the night before until noon-ish the next day. Some days I barely consumed 1000 calories/day (not intentional, just not hungry) for weeks at a time... the scale didn't budge, but I noticed that my clothes just weren't fitting right.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:01 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,626,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoviero View Post
A sandwich has about 500 calories. Power walking for an hour burns about 500 calories.

Let's assume those numbers are correct.

Why should I choose to exercise for an entire hour rather than just skip the sandwich?

I do not understand the economics of exercise.
You have just stumbled on the fundamental truth of weight management. Exercise should be done for it's own freestanding health benefits and for provoking muscle growth, not as a means of creating a caloric deficit.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:03 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,626,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I've read in the past that IF can throw a woman's hormones out of whack and either stall weight loss (even if you eat the same amount of calories after the fast) or lead to weight gain. For myself, I fell into IF by accident (it wasn't intentional, I simply wasn't hungry from dinner the night before until noon-ish the next day. Some days I barely consumed 1000 calories/day (not intentional, just not hungry) for weeks at a time... the scale didn't budge, but I noticed that my clothes just weren't fitting right.
That isn't IF, fasting has nothing to do with what you eat.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:35 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,303,019 times
I think juice fasting periodically is good for spiritual reasons. It can be a time to reset your taste buds, rid your body of undigested food and waste, and increase your general sense of well-being. I never use it as a weight-loss method.

Exercising should be a key component of your daily routine because of the enormous benefits it provides.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:33 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,377,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
It's not just about calories, its about empty calories. A sandwich is way too vague. Grilled cheese compared to a turkey sandwich filled with veggies and whatnot is very different.

Fasting will just make you skinny fat. Skinny in a shirt, disgusting without. If you want to get firm, tight, and feel better, exercising is really the only way.
This!

Old 08-21-2014, 04:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,188,970 times
No, I mean the fasting itself. I only mentioned the food to clarify that I didn't break fast with a binge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
That isn't IF, fasting has nothing to do with what you eat.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 AM

214 posts, read 229,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
There is so much nonsense in this post I don't even know where to begin.

How about reading the thread on Intermittent Fasting (for life extension) and getting some more modern ideas on eating. Who decided that we are supposed to have three - no more, no less - meals a day?
And it has NOT been shown, much less PROVEN that "skipping" breakfast is detrimental ..or leads to weight gain?... or that low fat diets "work" to do anything more than make you hungry real quick.

And to say that your body goes into "starvation mode" after 10 hours w/out food and then goes into some absurd "fat-storing-frenzy" the next time you eat is laughable at best, and outright fantasy at worst.
I along with many others, do IF on a 2-day /week regime and NEVER have I experienced over-indulging at my next meal. In fact I found my appetite to be robust, but satiated easily.

But we athletes know what works and what does NOT and I've never met one who doesn't agree that skipping meals is detrimental and either leads to over-eating for the next meal, or they DID notice a body fat increase after a prolonged time of skipping breakfast. True: to classify this as "starvation mode" may be a bit exaggerated (I was attempting to put the physiological metabolistic process into laymens' terms)--BUT the body WILL "latch onto" MORE fat grams during a meal if it has been, say, 12 hours since the last meal rather than 4-5 hours. (I could explain this in detailed bio-chemistry terms if you like, but it would be a bit complex for this forum.)

And correct me if I am wrong but I will surmise you sir are NOT the athletic type.

Athletes DO NOT fast! Not if they are knowledgeable about nutrition!

When I used to do personal training I would see time and again slower results--or even negative ones--from my clients who skipped meals. Without exception.

( I checked my BF three days ago and it was at 12.5%. I can run 20 miles in under 3 hours in 90 degree heat. I am in my 40's. I don't skip meals!)

Again: das proof is in das pudding, amigo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness