U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:57 AM

6 posts, read 36,018 times

Advertisements

Can anyone out there tell me how to lose lower body fat effectively??It seems like whenever I put on weight, the fat seems to be stored around my hips, buttocks and thighs.How can I get rid of them at a faster pace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 06:26 AM

617 posts, read 2,213,925 times
You can't 'spot reduce' fat. It is treated as a whole on your body, but some people tend to gain more in certain areas. It is usually 'first on-last off' type of thing, with fat.

You need to reduce your overall bodyfat % to get your desired results.

Not everyone may like this, but I tell people to gain muscle with resistance training to help them lose fat. People generally like to stick to cardio only, but resistance training will improve metabolism and set you up for increased fat burning.

Muscle gobbles up calories.

Don't worry, you won't look like "those bodybuilders in the magazines".

Old 12-23-2007, 10:54 AM

471 posts, read 1,037,871 times
Yep, I agree. Cardio, cardio, cardio and then resistance training regularly. You need both.

Just be prepared to feel hungrier if you're new to lifting weights and you're increasing the cardio.

So it's a must to surround yourself with healthy foods and snacks you can grab quickly when you're feeling it.

Put those apples and oranges out on the counter where you can see them, stage those healthy snacks attractively about your kitchen if you need to, and have those grapes or carrots washed and ready to go in the fridge. Yogurt is a good quick snack. I love vanilla with banana and chopped walnuts on top. And often I'll just quickly microwave one of those Green Giant frozen veggies for lunch - love the green beans with almonds.

On the same note I really do love chocolate. I do better when it's tucked away somewhere and very rarely I'll actually forget I have it.

Anyway, arm yourself with what you know you'll enjoy eating and that's good for you, so you don't fall back into eating the junk food and put back on those calories you are successfully burning. People are pretty visual, and if you have the good stuff in sight, you're more likely to be craving it.

Good luck to you. You can do it!

Old 12-17-2011, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 13,136 times
Fat gets stored all over the body, it cannot be removed from one spot only. Our body is proportionate so that means you will need to reduce overall body fat.
Want more tips check out this site [url=http://videosvision.info]Learn How To Get A Flat Stomach - How To Get Rid Of Belly Fat[/url] for helpful articles on how you can lose overall body fat.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:06 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,156,955 times
Sigh, wish I knew. I bought into the 'need to lose fat overall' mantra and kept thinking, if only I lose enough weight, I'll finally get those slim shapely model legs I've always wanted. Well, sadly, I got down to 108 lbs at 5'5 and 17% bf and it still hasn't happened, my thighs and hips still look chubby while on top I look skeletal to the point of unhealthy . I've resigned myself to the fact that the best I can do is try to do strength exercises to keep them firm, toned, and in shape, but I don't think the fat off the top is ever going to go away.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:18 PM

2,934 posts, read 3,550,240 times
You'll get a bunch of comments here from people exhorting you to eat nothing but lean meat, brussel spouts and spinach... then exercise 2 hours a day.

The best way to achieve your goal? Eat no more than 1300 calories a day of whatever you wish (and if that's 1300 calories of ice cream and chocolate, so be it), and walk 2 miles a day. You will lose weight and not suffer that badly in the process.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:16 AM

4,781 posts, read 4,029,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
You'll get a bunch of comments here from people exhorting you to eat nothing but lean meat, brussel spouts and spinach... then exercise 2 hours a day.

The best way to achieve your goal? Eat no more than 1300 calories a day of whatever you wish (and if that's 1300 calories of ice cream and chocolate, so be it), and walk 2 miles a day. You will lose weight and not suffer that badly in the process.

Except for, perhaps, your overall health based on what you eat.

It is a fact that WHAT you eat plays a role, not just how much you eat.

OP, take a look at the Abs Diet - there is one for men and women. I believe it was written by the editor of Men's Health magazine. I had good success using it, combined with regular excercise and it's a bit less restrictive than the paleo type diets that I'm currently following.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:48 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,097,680 times
In addition to the suggestions given by the other posters which are quite sound, maybe try some Indole-3-Carbinol.
Your fat deposition sounds like it is the normal estrogen based situation that happens with women and the I3C can help modulate your hormones gently to help shed some of that in the long term. It will clear the bad estrogens out of your body.
Of course it is also contained in foods like cabbage and broccoli in miniscule amounts.

I disagree with eating lower calories of whatever you wish. It is easier.

It will work but lower calories with a lot of vegetables and lean protein is the optimal way.
And when you hit target you can up consumption of those without too much worry about gaining the weight back.

Strength exercises with cardio is a good combo.

And also remember genetics and environment also play a role.
With all factors combined sometimes it may nto be possible to get exactly the body you want.
But eating healthy and staying active will at least give you a better quality of life.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:48 AM

14,141 posts, read 16,497,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Sigh, wish I knew. I bought into the 'need to lose fat overall' mantra and kept thinking, if only I lose enough weight, I'll finally get those slim shapely model legs I've always wanted. Well, sadly, I got down to 108 lbs at 5'5 and 17% bf and it still hasn't happened, my thighs and hips still look chubby while on top I look skeletal to the point of unhealthy . I've resigned myself to the fact that the best I can do is try to do strength exercises to keep them firm, toned, and in shape, but I don't think the fat off the top is ever going to go away.
Take up cycling and your legs will look great. They won't be skinny model legs but I find women with athletic legs much more attractive.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:31 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,315,985 times
I have always carried my extra weight in my lower body. Thats my body shape. I would rather be a pear than an apple. But my legs and butt are solid because I do lots of running, cycling, and all manner of squats and lunges. If you are willing to eat right and put in the effort you can make the most of your lower body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness