Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:35 AM

8 posts, read 8,636 times

Advertisements

I've been about 145 for the last year now. I am skinnyfat 5'9" guy and I want to do something about it. I know its the result of me eating too much while I don't do a hell of a lot.

I've been coming up with a plan where I figure I can eat like I do now and lose 5ish pounds over the next couple months as long as I run a few miles a day. I'm hoping to have a flat stomach by Thanksgiving so I don't become legitimately fat over the winter.

I am not a lazy person and I have no problem running while I know I would have a hard time changing my diet and not eating the food I want when I want. I've tried and I always end up giving in. I am not out of control in that regard but I like to have treats and I hate being hungry.

All that hinges on my assumption I am at a neutral point any workout I do will result in a calorie deficit.

Does that sound reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 10:50 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,352,010 times
If you are not gaining or losing weight you are at your average maintenance caloric intake.

If you were to add more, you'd gain, if you take some out, you'd lose.

You can keep your diet identical, and run, and you will lose weight up to a point, then you will have to add in more running/exercise.

You know, if you eat healthier, it will fill you up more and essentially eat less. By rearranging your macros, it can also help in losing fat.

What's do a typical days worth of meals look like?

Old 08-29-2014, 11:00 AM

Typically I eat cereal and yogurt for breakfast, a sandwich and chips for lunch, some cookies or similar snack when I get home, and then a dinner with lots of carbs and boiled vegetables. Sometimes I have fast food for lunch and try to make up for it with salad for dinner. I eat until I am full.

Realistically that's not going to change easily. I have tried to diet and honestly I like this kind of food too much to give it up since I am not in immediate danger from eating it. While its not going to be that hard to motivate myself to go run for half an hour when its nice out for my health and looks.

Ultimately I am not trying to be in amazing shape. I will be perfectly happy to have a stomach that doesn't hang over my belt if I bend over.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:06 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,094,661 times
I'm 5'9" too, and I weigh about 158. The "normal" weight I've always seen listed for this height is 162. Now I don't personally like to weigh 162 because to get there, I will start putting fat on my abdomen. But the last time I weighed 145 was when I first started working out at the gym, so the added 13 or so pounds is all muscle. How do you figure you're "skinnyfat"? I realize it depends on your frame, so if you have a very thin frame, 145 could look normal. I think my frame is just average.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:06 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,534,258 times
Yep, I was the same weight for a very long time. I was enjoying my food and imbibing in wine and beer daily. Wasn't moving a whole lot. Then I decided some change was in order. I figured out how much I needed to eat in order to lose (find out your BMR and add about 150 or so calories to that), logged my calories faithfully and diligently (I use loseit.com) and I started moving more (walking) and I've lost 7 lbs. in one month. I also gave up alcohol (not an easy decision!!), not only for weight loss but to be a better example to my children, better myself, yada yada yada.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm 5'9" too, and I weigh about 158. The "normal" weight I've always seen listed for this height is 162. Now I don't personally like to weigh 162 because to get there, I will start putting fat on my abdomen. But the last time I weighed 145 was when I first started working out at the gym, so the added 13 or so pounds is all muscle. How do you figure you're "skinnyfat"? I realize it depends on your frame, so if you have a very thin frame, 145 could look normal. I think my frame is just average.
I have a gut when I am standing up and it hangs over my belt about half an inch when I sit down. I am not a very dense person. I actually have decent sized arms and normal looking legs. A lot of people guess I weigh 160 and are surprised I only weigh 145 empty dry and naked.

I am not seriously skinnyfat like what comes up when you google it but I am skinny and have flab.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Yep, I was the same weight for a very long time. I was enjoying my food and imbibing in wine and beer daily. Wasn't moving a whole lot. Then I decided some change was in order. I figured out how much I needed to eat in order to lose (find out your BMR and add about 150 or so calories to that), logged my calories faithfully and diligently (I use loseit.com) and I started moving more (walking) and I've lost 7 lbs. in one month. I also gave up alcohol (not an easy decision!!), not only for weight loss but to be a better example to my children, better myself, yada yada yada.
That's good info.

Though I don't see myself taking the diet route unless I have to. I feel it would be much easier for me to not worry much about what I eat and just go run.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:25 AM

214 posts, read 229,286 times
According to the ht. & wt. you posted, your current BMI (Body Mass Index) is 21, which puts you into the "healthy weight" category.
However, you referred to yourself as "skinny/fat" and you said you don't really exercise, so I'm guessing that you might be a little flabby in some areas, and your body fat content may not be optimum.

A good body fat level for someone your age and size who wants to be "fit" would be between 12-15%.

So I would recommend a low-intensity cardio regime, say, powerwalk/jogging session for 30-45 minutes a time for 3-4 days a week. You can increase your "walk-to-jug" ration slightly as you progress each week. Like: begin walking for 5 mins. and jogging for 2, and then tweak it up till you are jogging most of the time.

If you do this till mid-November, and clean-up your diet a bit by cutting some sat fats and sugar, you could rightly expect to drop 5-8 lbs. and also curt your body fat by around 3-4%.

Lastly: you mentioned wanting to shed some of this weight by the Holidays so as not "get legitimately fat." Remember that one can still enjoy all those Holiday eats & treats and not necessarily gain weight if they stick with their exercise regime--or even bump it down to a couple days a week--and then eat in moderation and watch the baked goods.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre_Corriendo View Post
According to the ht. & wt. you posted, your current BMI (Body Mass Index) is 21, which puts you into the "healthy weight" category.
However, you referred to yourself as "skinny/fat" and you said you don't really exercise, so I'm guessing that you might be a little flabby in some areas, and your body fat content may not be optimum.

A good body fat level for someone your age and size who wants to be "fit" would be between 12-15%.

So I would recommend a low-intensity cardio regime, say, powerwalk/jogging session for 30-45 minutes a time for 3-4 days a week. You can increase your "walk-to-jug" ration slightly as you progress each week. Like: begin walking for 5 mins. and jogging for 2, and then tweak it up till you are jogging most of the time.
By skinnyfat I mean I can wear a medium and don't look huge but I have a gut. I am a slim fat person.

I can run about a mile and a half to two miles right now. I am thinking if I do a walk run sort of thing for 3 miles a day I should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre_Corriendo View Post
Lastly: you mentioned wanting to shed some of this weight by the Holidays so as not "get legitimately fat." Remember that one can still enjoy all those Holiday eats & treats and not necessarily gain weight if they stick with their exercise regime--or even bump it down to a couple days a week--and then eat in moderation and watch the baked goods.
I live in Indiana where if I am lucky I can be outside into early November. Winter really usually starts around Halloween and again being realistic I am going to eat a lot without working out much once the snow starts. I'm a little worried that if I am not in shape going into this winter I am going to come out of it in such bad shape I'm going to be at a major disadvantage come spring.

The issue with banking on eating less comes down to I always give in when I am hungry.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 AM

5,004 posts, read 7,840,598 times
Lifting weights will get you happier with how you look than simply jogging a couple miles a day. Cut the excess carbs. At your size, I wouldn't take in more than 115 grams a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness