Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 AM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinM View Post
146lbs isn't fat, I'm far from it, I already lost weight down to 120lbs 4 times in 2 years so I already proved I'm not fat, my weight just goes up because I keep doing something I'm not supposed to which is called binge eating disorder so it makes it difficult to keep my weight but I never in my entire life reached 150lbs
Edwin.. I feel your pain and I understand where you are coming from. I hate working out too and rather watch TV and eat than move, but and it's a BIG BUT, if I let that take over my life, life won't be fun anymore. I have been to gyms and lost weight and gained weight and all the above.. I had to sit down and figure out why do I want to lose weight and why do I want to be active and how to do both and feel good about it. Here are a few things I have been doing that are helping..
1. Don't cut any type of food all together (cold turkey works for a little while but never long term)
2. Find something fun to do to get you to sweat (adopt another dog, salsa dancing, zumba, gardening, going up and down the stairs, stand up while talking on the phone and walk around, just keep moving).
3. Change the way you eat little by little, instead of 2 slices of bread, just one slice, change the type of bread to whole instead of white, cut back on fatty foods, pizza once a week is fine, make it veggie instead of meat. Get sugar free frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. Whole pasta instead of while pasta.. just few changes and it will help lose the weight and keep it off.
4. Reward yourself when you leave something bad for you, get a mani/padi or get a massage. Buy a nice cute outfit.

I am sure you know all this, but sometime we need someone to tell us these things. You are doing great just admitting that you hate it and you don't want to do it. Good Luck..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM

451 posts, read 562,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinM View Post
146lbs isn't fat, I'm far from it, I already lost weight down to 120lbs 4 times in 2 years so I already proved I'm not fat, my weight just goes up because I keep doing something I'm not supposed to which is called binge eating disorder so it makes it difficult to keep my weight but I never in my entire life reached 150lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Well, you say you are not fat but you state you eat all day and need to lose weight and eat healthy.

Either way, the responses you have been given over the last 5 pages still apply no matter if you weigh 140 or 200 lbs.
You definitely made it seem like you were pretty overweight from your original post. And judging from your weight, but not taking your age/height into consideration, at 120-140lbs it definitely does not seem like you are that bad out of shape and there are definitely things you can do immediately that can help you getting into shape without necessarily hitting the gym (in disagreement with oh-eve). Watching what you eat is definitely the most important thing that can have the biggest impact. Starting some exercise program at some point is definitely recommended though if you hit a plateu on your weight and you want to gain better shape. Jogging alone might help you a lot.

The eating part takes little effort. At your stage the biggest challenge may be developing better eating habits. At some point, it will be almost effortless as you will know immediately what kind of foods to go after.
Getting to the gym however will require you to change your attitude, conquer some fears, and develop some discipline. That all goes back however to your attitude and your desire to change.

When I was about 18-21 yrs old I remember being in that weight range. I thought I was pretty skinny and didn't like it. Eating more only aided in adding a few pounds but do to my high metabolism, I couldn't get much bigger and was unnoticeable. Developing a gym a routine really is what really got me to pack on more mass and get at an ideal size.

Last edited by latino_esq; 09-05-2014 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Editing

Old 09-05-2014, 05:18 PM

120 posts, read 110,324 times
OP, I was going to post a flippant response but then I read your dog died? AND you're depressed? Awww, geez.

Are you seeing medical professionals? For your overall health? For your depression? I skipped a bunch of responses just looking for yours but have you been clinically diagnosed?

What does your primary care doctor say about your health? When was the last time you went in for a full medical check up? If your blood work results come back WAY out of whack, that should be some motivation for you, right?

Not only will working out, or at least some kind of increased physical activity, help you with your weight problem (yeah, yeah along with other efforts), but it'll help you with your outlook on life --- it did for me during some trying times and down days. E.g. being in the Arabian Gulf for 4 months turning circles in a box and away from family for 6 months can be VERY demotivating.

How old are you? What do your parents say? What do your siblings say? What do your friends say? What do your co-workers say? Dun dun dun.............what does your girlfriend say? Are they saying anything motivating to you? Are they and you're just not paying attention?

Be open minded to what the folks here are saying to you. Pick and choose the good stuff and ______________________________________ (deleted as being too flippant).

Old 09-23-2014, 12:47 AM

5 posts, read 3,728 times
I think you should push yourself harder and have motivation. Have someone to be with you when you are exercising, having someone can help you to keep motivated. My DH and I used to exercise every morning and he pushes me to do my best and it really works. You should also change your lifestyle for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness