Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 08:52 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I was recently diagnosed as being hypothyroid. I think I have been this way for a long time though as I have had all of the symptoms for many years prior to being diagnosed. I could, for the most part, maintain my weight through a very strict diet but oddly, adding in exercise would make me gain. I don't think I was adding muscle so the gains were mysterious. Having one or two bad eating days could also make me gain. When I found out I was hypothyroid with Hashimoto's, I made some dietary changes to support my thyroid. One of those changes was giving up all gluten. I ate very healthy and very small portions (One of the benefits of going gluten free is that I'm not as hungry without it in my diet) and after a month I didn't lose a single pound. That wasn't my goal with giving up gluten but it still would have been nice since people often lose weight quickly when giving it up. I just started taking armour. I hope it helps. I really just want to feel better. I drank soy formula as a baby and I have wondered if that might have opened the door to this. It does run in my family though so I suppose it could be any number of things. The amount if information is pretty overwhelming.
You and me both. It's annoying. 2 weeks of watching everything can be blown in one day of not watching it. I have also found that I gain weight with exercise. I find that odd too. My doctor says it's muscle but shouldn't I also be losing fat?

I did read that exercising too much can lower your T3 levels. The question is what is too much?

I'm going to try not having caffeine near the time I take my pill for a while. If that doesn't pan out, I'll have my doctor check my T3 count and add T3 if needed (there is a synthetic T3 and I'm sure my doctor will go with the synthetic before an animal derived T3. Though if I asked she'd probably let me try a NDT but I think that makes me ineligible to donate blood since it's animal derived.). Usually you make your own from T4 but there are other enzymes that break down T3 in the liver. I'm not sure when the last time was that my T4/T3 counts were checked. I know that initially I did not have an issue converting T4 to T3 but that doesn't mean that hasn't changed over the 16 years since my diagnosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 09:48 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,039,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You and me both. It's annoying. 2 weeks of watching everything can be blown in one day of not watching it. I have also found that I gain weight with exercise. I find that odd too. My doctor says it's muscle but shouldn't I also be losing fat?

I did read that exercising too much can lower your T3 levels. The question is what is too much?

I'm going to try not having caffeine near the time I take my pill for a while. If that doesn't pan out, I'll have my doctor check my T3 count and add T3 if needed (there is a synthetic T3 and I'm sure my doctor will go with the synthetic before an animal derived T3. Though if I asked she'd probably let me try a NDT but I think that makes me ineligible to donate blood since it's animal derived.). Usually you make your own from T4 but there are other enzymes that break down T3 in the liver. I'm not sure when the last time was that my T4/T3 counts were checked. I know that initially I did not have an issue converting T4 to T3 but that doesn't mean that hasn't changed over the 16 years since my diagnosis.
My T4 and T3 are not "lining up" so I just went through some labs. Getting answers on Tuesday but if they are still off then I will start a T3 as well.

She ideally would have put me on armour, but I can't take it because of a pork allergy.

Also, there are foods that you need to watch your intake of (goitrogenic foods and cruciferous veggies). I used to eat raw broccoli and spinach almost daily (always take raw veggies for lunch and often had a spinach/baby greens salad). They are okay cooked but you shouldn't eat them every day in excess. I stopped doing that and saw some improvement in numbers/symptoms. You should also avoid soy products in the few hours after you have taken thyroid meds.

Thyroid Patients, Goitrogens and Cruciferous Vegetables

Old 09-07-2014, 10:02 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,171,087 times
Could be thyroids, but its always worth trying to incorporate exercise into your routine and eating lesser quantity.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:22 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,372,746 times
Fat people blame all sorts of things for their obesity. All of us have heard the excuses: "Oh, I have a very slow metabolism," or "I only eat 900 calories a day but I still weigh 300 pounds!"

Once in a great while I'll meet a fat person who is refreshingly honest about their obesity. They will say, "I'm a lazy sloth who loves to eat, that's why I am fat."

Thyroid? Metabolism? Genetics? Parents were fat?

All excuses. People are fat because they take in too many calories and exercise too little. There may be an exception in one out of a million cases, but not much more than that.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:37 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Fat people blame all sorts of things for their obesity. All of us have heard the excuses: "Oh, I have a very slow metabolism," or "I only eat 900 calories a day but I still weigh 300 pounds!"

Once in a great while I'll meet a fat person who is refreshingly honest about their obesity. They will say, "I'm a lazy sloth who loves to eat, that's why I am fat."

All excuses. People are fat because they take in too many calories and exercise too little. There may be an exception in one out of a million cases, but not much more than that.
It is a mixture of issues. For everyone, there is a degree of not exercising and/or eating properly. I am not disagreeing with that. But for each person that piece of the pie is different. Some are truly genetically behind the eight-ball whether their parents are obese or have thyroid issues. It can also be a random pop up of thyroid issues too. We never know because the pie is different for everyone.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:54 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,446,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well many folks will now be paying for the lifestyle choices of illegal immigrants who decided to drop in and never leave. I'm sure many don't appreciate it.
That's true.

But more on topic, there are many lifestyle health choices that people make that cost us all money. And our country as a whole for that matter. A population with a bunch of overweight/unhealhty people have costs beyond $/raising insurance premiums for all of us and work productivity is one. And what do we think is going to happen when we have a unprecedented number of obese kids getting type II diabetes before they turn 5? Those kids are going to start having major health problems very early on in their lives than ever before. Heart attacks in one's 20's or 30's it seems will be common place. Way to go "parents" who enable this.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:08 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,446,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post

Well stated.

I agree with honesty. I have a friend who has very unhealthy habits and he spot on told me he knows what he's doing is horrible for his health and makes no excuses that what he's doing is good. And he doesn't blame stress, his thyroid, his parents, his this/that/the other thing. That's refreshing in a sense to hear honesty though I wish he cleaned up his lifestyle so he can be around potentially longer without health issues. But he's an adult and change comes from within, not nagging friends or family.

But yep, the vast majority of us make our own bed in our life choices though more than a few people like to blame everything/anything else. The river of de-nial is a long one for many.

As I've stated before, I believe in free choice and believe people should make their own decisions on health matters. But just don't look for others to pay for it/subsidize your unhealthy choices in higher health care premiums that we all get stuck paying now. I think it's time we have risk pool health insurance rates for the obese.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:13 PM

102,125 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if the failure of American doctors to put effort into figuring out what each patient needs is due to the tendency to think women are just emotional. Many doctors don't take us seriously. I complained for almost 4 years about being tired all the time and it got dismissed as me being post partum and juggling a job and children. One doctor went as far as to tell me "Some women just aren't meant to work outside the home". Finally, I got mad at my doctor and demanded she run every test she could think of. She called back the next day, every apologetic, and asked me to come back in for another blood draw because they needed to figure out my dosage of Synthroid. My TSH level was 87. That's 82 above normal at the time. I had been hypothyroid all that time yet not taken seriously because I was also a new mom. I saw half a dozen doctors during that time and not one of them ran a TSH titration. Later I learned that it is common for women who have babies after age 35 to become hypothyroid and there is actually a recommendation to check TSH shortly after delivery. I had baby 1 at 36 and baby 2 at 38. It should have been routine to check my TSH both times. Unfortunately, it appears that even doctors think fat people just lie to justify eating too much. Here I was complaining of classic symptoms under conditions known to cause the issue and they assumed I just couldn't handle working and kids.
That's good info for people to have re: caffeine interfering with synthroid absorption.

I've given a LOT of thought to what's wrong with the medical system, after a lot of thyroid-related experiences. You're right that "medical sexism" is partly to blame. This received a lot of press back in the 90's, when the term "medical sexism" was first coined by the media, and articles said Harvard Med School and others were offering new courses specifically on that topic for budding doctors. (An entire course!) But nothing's changed.

But the real obstacle is that 1. Insurance doesn't want to pay for the Hashimoto's test, and 2. Because of this, the Mayo Clinic developed a theory and method of analyzing and testing for thyroid disease that conforms to the insurance industry's requirements. They make it all about TSH, and teach endocrinologists that there's no need to know if antibodies are present. Also, they define the normal range as overly broad, so too many patients get told they're "normal".

Though I suspected for years something like that was going on, it became undeniable when a couple of thyroid docs I was working with got a call from insurance telling them to stop ordering the Hashimoto's test, and to start telling their patients they were "fine" if their test results were within the normal range, even if the test results pushed the limits of that range.

Insurance for generations has been controlling what tests and treatments people can have, unbeknownst to patients/consumers. It has nothing to do with Obamacare. The shocker to me was that the supposedly august, impeccable Mayo Clinic is in the insurance industry's pocket.

Mayo also has a statement on their website that there's no such thing as adrenal fatigue (often called "chronic fatigue"). This is a potentially fatal condition. And guess what? It's tied to thyroid disease! People who have had a lifetime of thyroid disease are particularly susceptible to adrenal fatigue (especially when dealing with chronic or catastrophic stress), because a weak thyroid gradually undermines the whole system, and the thyroid and adrenal glands are intimately connected.

So there you have it. Inadequacies are built into the medical system, per insurance's demands.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:20 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,019,874 times
Quote:

I've read 45 min is about right for exercise. I think there is a tendency to raise cortisol too much with prolonged exercise. High cortisol levels are not easy to treat and can cause weight issues.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I've read 45 min is about right for exercise. I think there is a tendency to raise cortisol too much with prolonged exercise. High cortisol levels are not easy to treat and can cause weight issues.
Good to know. The change to every week day may help here. I don't have an hour and a half (I cannot get up THAT early). I'm going to be doing under an hour a day with about half being cardio and the other half being weight bearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness