Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:29 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times

Advertisements

OK here's the story: I'm 46, 6ft tall 275. I was disabled in a mc accident a number of years ago. broken back (still bolted together), crushed pelvis (left hemisphere is rotated out 6deg), broken legs and knee. (RT femur,fib/tib and tibial platue fracture and ACL destroyed) (Left leg atrophied below the knee from serve nerve damage) I know I need to lose weight badly, but sufer quite a bit of discomfort (read pain)when I work out (treadmill) I live in a little town in MN so swimming is out...... Any suggestions???
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 10:53 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,327,170 times
Have you tried the elliptical or a bike that does not have the pounding of the treadmill?

Does your primary doctor have any suggestions?

I know you said you are in a small town, but could you hire a personal trainer that could have a few meetings with you and maybe design a plan for you? Maybe they could design a nutritional plan as well?

Nicole

Old 12-26-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Have you tried the elliptical or a bike that does not have the pounding of the treadmill?

Does your primary doctor have any suggestions?

I know you said you are in a small town, but could you hire a personal trainer that could have a few meetings with you and maybe design a plan for you? Maybe they could design a nutritional plan as well?

Nicole
Thanks for the reply Nicole,

Promary Doc says to excersize more, Ortho DOc says to take it easy, I'm to young for a total knee and Hip replacement. ( I told them to talk to eachother several times but they don't seem to get the message....I work hard to watch the eating but I put all the weight on in the gut....Back break was technicaly a 6mm fracture of the Sacrem that is now internally fixated. I tried rideing a bike but haven't found one that doesn't hurt to ride.. Maybe a recumbent bike? I don't know anything about those.....

Old 12-26-2007, 11:58 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
A recumbent bike should help. You can also look into purchasing a rower. With your lower body and back injuries these two should help with cardio. An elliptical would also be a good idea but at 275lbs, the only ones that are rated for your size are $1500 and up (Life Fitness and Precor). Many other brands are cheaper but are poorly constructed and will more than likely NOT hold up to your weight.

Another option is purchasing a leverage weight system. They are very safe and you could do a number of excercises in your own home. Take a look at Powertec workbench leverage gym ($700). You're probably thinking "weight training? I want to lose weight not gain weight". The thing is, with resistance training, you can build muscle which will in turn help you to burn fat (even at rest).

Old 12-26-2007, 01:33 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,327,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Thanks for the reply Nicole,

Promary Doc says to excersize more, Ortho DOc says to take it easy, I'm to young for a total knee and Hip replacement. ( I told them to talk to eachother several times but they don't seem to get the message....I work hard to watch the eating but I put all the weight on in the gut....Back break was technicaly a 6mm fracture of the Sacrem that is now internally fixated. I tried rideing a bike but haven't found one that doesn't hurt to ride.. Maybe a recumbent bike? I don't know anything about those.....
Yes like DaBeez said a recumbent bike might be good. That is a shame your doctors are not communicating. Is there any chance of having a physical therapist or personal trainer meet with you for a few sessions to get you started? Are there any low impact dvds that you could rent or buy.

I know you are in a small town but is there a nearby hospital that offers weight loss programs and such and might they have someone there who could personalize a program for you?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
Wow, I'm sorry about your accident. Definitely consult your MD about this - he can give you some good suggestions. I personally think swimming is a great idea but I see your situation living in MN. Try looking around to see if any gyms nearby have a pool. Or, maybe your MD can suggest a pysical therapy place to seeif you guys can work something out.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:40 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Loosing weight when you are handicap is hard...if you find something that works stick with it then let me know!!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:05 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I just watched the Biggest Looser couple show end last nite...Now I was thinking that they should have a show with the disabled...talk about life style changes from well & healthy to disabled & fat in a nano sec.....

Old 09-16-2008, 07:16 PM

9 posts, read 33,424 times
Default Disabled can loose weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
OK here's the story: I'm 46, 6ft tall 275. I was disabled in a mc accident a number of years ago. broken back (still bolted together), crushed pelvis (left hemisphere is rotated out 6deg), broken legs and knee. (RT femur,fib/tib and tibial platue fracture and ACL destroyed) (Left leg atrophied below the knee from serve nerve damage) I know I need to lose weight badly, but sufer quite a bit of discomfort (read pain)when I work out (treadmill) I live in a little town in MN so swimming is out...... Any suggestions???
Thanks!!
I eat healthy, excercise and have incredible upper body strength. I am big, but my stomach looked like I'M PREGNANT WITH 3! I was embarassed and humiliatated over how I looked.

So I spoke with my neurologist, and he prescribed Adderrall for me. I set a schedule. I am up and in the shower by 7. Breakfast is a cup of oatmeal with a few raisins, a slice of canteloupe and coffee. Lunch is a salad and water. Dinner is a meat, veggie and rice. Nothing to eat after 7 pm. Feels great to be hungry! Ice water does taste great!

I've lost 25 pounds in 2 months! I see it in my face and stomach. Housework is great exercise, and so is pumping that manual wheelchair.

I walk at some point, every day. Hope this information helps.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidUSee2 View Post
I eat healthy, excercise and have incredible upper body strength. I am big, but my stomach looked like I'M PREGNANT WITH 3! I was embarassed and humiliatated over how I looked.

So I spoke with my neurologist, and he prescribed Adderrall for me. I set a schedule. I am up and in the shower by 7. Breakfast is a cup of oatmeal with a few raisins, a slice of canteloupe and coffee. Lunch is a salad and water. Dinner is a meat, veggie and rice. Nothing to eat after 7 pm. Feels great to be hungry! Ice water does taste great!

I've lost 25 pounds in 2 months! I see it in my face and stomach. Housework is great exercise, and so is pumping that manual wheelchair.

I walk at some point, every day. Hope this information helps.
Same upper body story with me I talk to the Doc about your suggestion. I know adderall is often used to treat ADD maybe it will help in more way then one!
Thanks for the tip...
Todd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness