Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:43 AM

732 posts, read 968,128 times

Advertisements

My bike came with clipless pedals, but I removed them and put on some new pedals that evidently require some toe clips or velcro straps. I nearly got into a few accidents stepping on the wrong sides of the pedals and looking down at the pedals while trying to flip them to the usable side, so I'd better add something to the pedals before I end up dead.

Do velcro straps and toe clips help cyclists work more muscles in legs? Are they used to pull one foot up while pushing down on the other pedal or are they for pushing forward on the pedal beside keeping feet in the proper positions on the pedals?

I want to workout more muscles in my legs and hopefully get more uphill pedaling power, but I'm not sure how exactly to use the velcro straps or toe clips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 04:32 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Most cyclists prefer the clip-in setup (which is, oddly, called clipless). I have not switched to it yet because I can't afford the new pedals. I have baskets on mine (the little straps). I can't tell the difference between when I use them and when I don't. If you aren't going to use the straps, then get pedals that don't have them (just regular pedals). That way the pedal won't constantly be flipping over on you. You can also get a special kind of shoe that is a bit sticky on the bottom and will grip the pedal better.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:51 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
My bike came with clipless pedals, but I removed them and put on some new pedals that evidently require some toe clips or velcro straps. I nearly got into a few accidents stepping on the wrong sides of the pedals and looking down at the pedals while trying to flip them to the usable side, so I'd better add something to the pedals before I end up dead.

Do velcro straps and toe clips help cyclists work more muscles in legs? Are they used to pull one foot up while pushing down on the other pedal or are they for pushing forward on the pedal beside keeping feet in the proper positions on the pedals?

I want to workout more muscles in my legs and hopefully get more uphill pedaling power, but I'm not sure how exactly to use the velcro straps or toe clips.
I cycle 100+ miles/week. I use conventional platform pedals and invariably am the only one on my rides that does so. i am sure there is a little edge to be gained with foot retention, but I think the extent to which it helps is greatly exaggerated.

Don in Austin

Old 09-15-2014, 07:05 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
If you are riding a road bike for fitness, then clipless pedals are the only way to go. Once you buy them take your bike to an empty parking lot and practice getting in and out of them. After a while it becomes second nature and they are extremely easy to use.

Used to race bikes at a fairly elite level in college and worked at a pro bike shop (a place where professional cyclists would actually come in to get their bikes worked on and to buy gear). I'm old enough to remember when clipless pedals came out and replaced the old style toe clip with leather strap to cinch your foot to the pedal. Those pedals were dangerous, you had to figure out how to bend over and loosen the strap to get your foot out before you hit a red light or situation where you need to stop.

One last tip and it's easy to remember. When you get clipless pedals or toe clips you get a better workout because you can pull up on the pedals and pedal in a circle as opposed to just pushing down on the pedals. To perfect your pedal stroke, pretend that you have mud on the bottom of your shoe and you are trying to scrape off the mud.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:13 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Clips and straps are useless for most because most don't use them correctly. To get them to work the way they were intended, you need to cinch the straps tightly. As grmi says, it's dangerous...and outdated. Clipless is much safer and better. And it absolutely makes your stroke more efficient, especially as the miles pile up and/or you are doing some climbing. If you're riding low miles on flat terrain, they won't be as useful.

As grmi said, you can practice in a parking lot. I also knew some who practice on grass or an area with packed dirt. Set the tension to low (if there is an adjuster). Once you pick it up, it becomes second nature.

Best of luck

Old 09-18-2014, 09:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
There are PowerGrips which are an underrated method of both foot retention and efficiency improvement. I love mine, and have them on more than one bike. Cheaper than clipless pedals and shoes, much cheaper, but just as effective at keeping your foot in place and you can get into and out of them with the same motion that you would use to get into and out of clipless releases. I use mine with proper cycling shoes but I don't have the special cleats on them that would clip into clipless pedals. But you can use any kind of footwear with them which is part of their appeal.

H

Old 09-18-2014, 09:52 AM

338 posts, read 421,013 times
Nahh, I dispensed with the clips and straps and cleats and all that BS about the same time I dispensed with BMX racing for motocross. That was about 15 years ago. Been running hiking or cowboy boots with BMX platforms ever since and somehow have managed to get around just fine. It also adds to the street cred that you naturally get just from being on a mountain bike in the city (which no roady rider throughout history ever got).

Quote:
"I use mine with proper cycling shoes"
"Proper riding shoes" = high-top Chucks.

I've also never once seen clipless boots in a 16. No big loss, either.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:16 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Here are some suggestions:
Do you guys like regular toe straps or velcro better, and why?
Choosing and Adjusting Bicycle Shoes and Pedals
Bike Pedal Clips vs. Straps | Chron.com <<<pros and cons

Old 09-18-2014, 01:44 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
Been running hiking or cowboy boots with BMX platforms ever since and somehow have managed to get around just fine. It also adds to the street cred that you naturally get just from being on a mountain bike in the city (which no roady rider throughout history ever got).

I can run a 5k in a pair of Teva’s just fine too, but it ain’t the best choice.

And if street cred is what’s important to ya, and you think being on a Mtn Bike gets it, go for it.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:52 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
I just purchased a new bike a little over a week ago - Specialized Sirrus. Since I'm 55 I thought old school and got the pedals with straps. I've been using them so long, yet I still can't flip the pedal over without having to look down.

I brought the bike into the shop today and asked about the clipless pedals, something new and updated to me. Aside from the minimum of a $150 investment for an entry-level setup, I was told they are much more efficient to use. The shoes are rigid unlike shoes/sneakers when using the straps. A much more complete rotation and better power throughout the pedaling motion.

I ride for fitness, although I am currently training for my first sprint triathlon in August. I rode 30 miles on Saturday and 20 miles today. I did alright in both rides averaging 17MPH, and got a good workout. Not sure if I'm going to invest for the race, because I have yet to have any true issues with the straps other than I might be losing a fraction of 1MPH average in speed over the course of my rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness