Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 01:12 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times

Advertisements

Is it true that yoga has some effect on the mind and not just the body? There was some actor or other celeb who was skeptical about yoga but then he liked it so much that he wrote a book about it. What effect does it have on the mind that wouldn't come from Western exercises?

Are there things about the connection between mind and body, that is understood more in Asia than in the West? That is my impression. I've never tried yoga.

There's also acupuncture which works for some people in the west. I think it's not considered medicine in the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 01:31 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Yoga stimulates testosterone, which is the sex-drive hormone. It was originally developed as part of an ancient sex cult in India. Some people find the meditative aspect calming. A NY Times reporter, William Broad, researched it and published a book on Yoga's history and a scientific analysis of it (the effects on the body and mind) a couple of years ago. You might find it an informative read. "The Science of Yoga: The Risks And Rewards".

Old 09-26-2014, 01:39 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Is it true that yoga has some effect on the mind and not just the body? There was some actor or other celeb who was skeptical about yoga but then he liked it so much that he wrote a book about it. What effect does it have on the mind that wouldn't come from Western exercises?
Yoga has both physical and a mental components. Many instructors/studios will emphasize one or the other, or it might be a blend.

Specific kinds of breathing as well as mindfulness are a big part of the mental side of it. These have an effect on both the mind and body, and are not generally part of traditional Western exercise routines.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:40 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times
Don't other exercises also stimulate testosterone?

Old 09-26-2014, 03:00 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,521 times
I like yoga for one simple reason -- it is the perfect counter to my other activities. I lift heavy weights a lot, I cycle a lot -- neither of those results in great flexibility or looseness. Yoga counters the tightness, improves flexibility, and stretches me out. I only do yoga once a week, but it's a valuable part of my fitness regimen.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:34 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
I like yoga for one simple reason -- it is the perfect counter to my other activities. I lift heavy weights a lot, I cycle a lot -- neither of those results in great flexibility or looseness. Yoga counters the tightness, improves flexibility, and stretches me out. I only do yoga once a week, but it's a valuable part of my fitness regimen.
Same here ^^^. I also get weekly acupuncture (which OP mentioned) and it includes some vigorous Chinese massage (tuina) that helps my sore muscles considerably.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:02 PM

11 posts, read 13,882 times
I love Yoga every so often.

While Yoga and regular weight lifting (which is my regular form of exercise) essentially do same thing, I find yoga as a better stress reliever. There are many different forms of Yoga, i personally focus on mind and body connection as well as flexibility.

Since starting Yoga I feel as I lift weights with better form, more controlled and some injuries that were reoccurring have been non-existent

Old 09-26-2014, 07:40 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
For women: Its a good reason to buy and wear those tight yoga pants?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Yoga helps mentally through breathing. Much of yoga is learning to relax while you are in a difficult pose. You also have meditation at the end, time to relax,and not think. Yoga is really fantastic!

Old 09-26-2014, 10:27 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
I'm 65, started yoga at 61 and can't imagine life without it. As expected, it's increased (dramatically) my flexibility, posture, carriage, etc.

But the real benefits are less tangible and harder to describe. Yoga slows me down, makes me concentrate on the here and now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness