Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:33 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times

Advertisements

For those of you out of shape (like myself), what is your exercise tolerance like? I haven't exercised in about 7 years. I can walk very long distances just fine (several miles walking without getting out of breath or getting tired), but I can't climb more than 1 flight of stairs without getting a little out of breath and I can't walk uphill without getting a little out of breath. I also can't run at all--when I run to catch the bus I am completely out of breath.

I'm in my early 30's and I have never smoked. I'm not overweight at all, but I do admit I haven't exercised in years (I have never found exercise that I don't find boring). But I'm wondering if my poor exercise tolerance is because of that or some other reason (i.e. physiological).

For those of you out of shape or who haven't exercised in a long time, what can and can't you tolerate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:44 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
I was totally out of shape back in April. I started with baby steps. For me, when I first started, as long as I made it to the gym, I was happy. I worked my way up and now I can go 30 min on the treadmill/elliptical at a consistent speed. Don't expect immediate results or else you will be disappointed. Walking is also a good start, too. Start with 10 minutes or whatever you can handle and go at that pace until you feel comfortable going for longer or faster. Do any other exercise with this consistency until you build up your endurance. You can also join our daily thread in this forum. Best of luck to you!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:28 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Take it slowly. Do a little at a time, pushing yourself a little more each day and eventually you will get to a point where you're in better shape.
There was a time in my life, I weighed 265 pounds. I took little steps and eventually lost a lot of the weight. I'm still working on my weight and fitness level but it's a lot better than it was a few years ago.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:53 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
Good advice so far. Best to just take it easy. If you try and push really hard right now you almost surely will injure yourself and find the couch again.

If the gym gets boring or your not "feeling" it maybe look into other options. Buy a cheap bicycle and helmet or something similiar.

I've always told everyone that is just starting off to just take it easy and start with cardio for a couple of weeks. Just to get your body used to working out and kind of establish a routine if you will. Then maybe start throwing in a little bit of light weight lifting. Try different stuff to see what you like. You have nothing to lose. If you get discouraged then maybe do a few cheap training sessions with a professional to help you get an idea of some basic exercises.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:26 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
For those of you out of shape (like myself), what is your exercise tolerance like? I haven't exercised in about 7 years. I can walk very long distances just fine (several miles walking without getting out of breath or getting tired), but I can't climb more than 1 flight of stairs without getting a little out of breath and I can't walk uphill without getting a little out of breath. I also can't run at all--when I run to catch the bus I am completely out of breath.

I'm in my early 30's and I have never smoked. I'm not overweight at all, but I do admit I haven't exercised in years (I have never found exercise that I don't find boring). But I'm wondering if my poor exercise tolerance is because of that or some other reason (i.e. physiological).

For those of you out of shape or who haven't exercised in a long time, what can and can't you tolerate?
Sounds like you need to pick up the pace when walking. This will get your heart rate up and help you with those stairs.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:40 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,700,899 times
If you can walk several miles without a problem, you are not as out of shape as you think. Walking is a great exercise to stay in shape!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 AM

118 posts, read 625,140 times
I think its mind over matter in some cases. If you think you go out of breath after going up the stairs once. try going back down (say you forgot your wallet) and go right back up a second time. You'll then see how you feel after the first time "isn't so bad" then that will give you confidence "hey this isn't so bad..I can do this" and when you get in that mode..theres no telling want you'll acomplish next

Old 01-01-2008, 03:40 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,716 times
Do it slowly. Keep up with your walking. Next time you go for a walk, try to put in a little bit of jogging in between (like a walk-jog workout). You walk for a few yards and then jog a few yard, vice-versa. Do that for about 2-3 weeks, and the next thing you'll know, you're jogging more and you can jog. It does work. Each week you do this, lessen the walking and try to jog a little further each time.

Also do some light weight training (just for 15-30 minutes) and some flexibility workouts like Pilates or Yoga (just for 30 minutes, 3 times a week).

Old 01-02-2008, 11:39 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Leana76 is right on about adding in some weight training. I know many women are against weight training for fear of looking "manly", but that will never happen. You'll build more muscle which in turn will burn more fat and you'll feel much much better than just walking.

If you can walk several miles now you are doing just fine, but because you cant walk up a flight of stairs tell me that you definately need to build some muscle. What do you mean by "tolerance"? You should try to push yourself at each workout. During your walks, add in a few seconds of jogging here and there, the next time out, add a few more seconds of jogging.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:24 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times
What I mean by tolerance is that I am wondering why I have very poor exercise tolerance right now for someone of my age and weight (female, early 30's, normal weight, never smoked).

I guess I don't understand why I can walk several miles with no problem, but when I try to walk uphill or walk up more than one flight of stairs, I get out of breath. Yes, I haven't exercised in 7 years, but I'm wondering if there's something wrong with me in terms of getting out of breath with these physical activities. I have been to a cardiologist and got checked out (all normal), but I still wonder if my inability to not get out of breath walking uphill and going up 2 flights of stairs is just poor conditioning--or something physiologically wrong.

So I'm wondering what other people were and were not able to do before they started on an exercise routine. Were you able to walk up more than one flight of stairs without getting out of breath before you started exercising? Were you able to jog without getting out of breath?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness