Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ladies: How many pushups can you do?
0 8 30.77%
1-3 2 7.69%
3-5 2 7.69%
6-10 3 11.54%
10-15 4 15.38%
16-20 2 7.69%
21-30 2 7.69%
31 and more 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 05:48 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Do you do weighted pull ups and if so how much weight and how many reps? I just started doing weighted chin ups(shoulder problems from doing pull ups so I refrain from them) and I must say my abs never hurt so much! They didn't feel sore until I did weighted chins on my second workout and I could feel the strain on my abs. Thinking of ditching it altogether and might do them once in a blue moon.

Props for you doing that many at that bodyweight. Most 200lb gym guys avoid the pull/chin ups like the plague. I usually see the 180lb and less guys do them.
I actually haven't tried weighted pull ups. If I incorporated pull ups in more regularly (I should, but man they are tiring haha) I would definitely do weighted. I do incorporate dips occasionally, and do weighted ones, usually about 70lbs for 10 reps or so.

I may start trying to bring pull ups back in. I did those 20 pullups probably about 2 months ago, and haven't had pull ups as a regular part of my workout probably in years. I do tons of wide grip pull downs. I go till failure, then my gf helps me on 2 assisted reps, then I immediately drop the weight and do another set (drop set) and those must be what have kept my pullups going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:44 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
This thread is timely for me. I am naturally thin and tall. Up until 1.5 years ago, I didn't exercise at all, not when I was young in my 20s or when I had two babies in the previous 6 years -- I looked pretty decent (everyone always remarked on my tall, trim figure) but I wasn't fit.

Then I began doing Jillian videos at home at least 5 days/wk 1.5 years ago. I had finally found a fitness regiment that spoke to me (I never liked going to the gym) and it was well-rounded, cardio and strength. Now I do the hardest levels of 2 videos and rotate them and add on a few extra intervals at the end and do no other exercising. I've completely transformed my body and fitness level at nearly 40.

As for the push-ups: I couldn't do a push-up in the beginning and could only muster 1 or 2 after a year into Jillian so I always did knee-push ups for those intervals. This continued until 3 months ago when I realized I was pretty damned good at all the other exercises (and qualified as her "advanced" participant in all other exercises) and needed to push myself on the push-ups and commit to regular push-ups, not knee.

Now I can do one set of 10 full push-ups but I am only able to go half way down. I do four sets of 10 (two of those sets are weighted plank pushups) during the workout but they are spread out with other exercises in between. I honestly can't believe I'm doing them. They aren't a lot at once and aren't really deep but, hey, I could do NO full push-ups before.

I don't see myself ever being able to go down to the floor (my husband is working on building up his push-ups sets through one of those push-up apps but his are "nose touch" (to the floor) kind!

Old 10-15-2014, 09:47 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I'm like you, eve. I am tall, and I look very fit and toned with developed shoulders and biceps, but I lack strength in a lot of things like pushups. I am almost there, though. I have been taking yoga, which has its own style of pushups and have been doing a lot more of those. I can almost get to the floor on regular pushups now. I can't do pullups, I have a home trainer machine that I do them at an angle on a sliding pad. The chinups are easier. Maybe eventually I'll get there. But hell, I am 65 for cripe sake and I am still doing more than the women I see that are HALF my age!
That's cool! I am not getting much closer to my goal but I am not 100% behind it either.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:44 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
REAL women do pushups, burpees and pullups as part of their daily exercise routines.

Just kidding. I HATE the "real women" statement. I can just say that women who do pushups, burpees and pullups as staples of their workouts ALWAYS are in great shape and they ALWAYS look great.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:23 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,214 times
When I was trying to focus on pushups, I managed to get to 30 consecutive (not knee down pushups). But then I decided that even though I was going nose to ground my elbows were too flared out. So now I've decided to work on keeping my elbows in closer and had to start with knees on the ground again.

I can do about 2 1/2 chin-ups without assist but no unassisted pull-ups yet. I do my pull-ups and chin-ups at the end of my workout. Yesterday I did a set of 9 pull-ups with a 25lb assist. I'll give it until I can get 10-12 and then drop the assist to 10lb.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:31 PM

477 posts, read 800,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I want to know how many women here can do a pullup. My gf has been lifting for less than 2 years, and she has worked her way up to 3, which is amazing. Very few women can even do 1. For pushups, I'd bet she can bust out 10-15 no problem.
I can dangle from the bar, but I can't pull up. I knew a guy in college who really got into training. It took him about a year and a half to be able to do the pull up part.

I can do about 20 push ups if I really tried last time I checked. I do them like a man. I have very long arms and strong upper arms (biceps?).

Old 05-11-2020, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 392 times
im 15 and workout regularly and can do sets 35 push ups on average i do about 150 push ups a day

Old 05-11-2020, 09:36 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
I've worked up to 3 sets of 10 recently......that may not sound like much BUT it's a big accomplishment for me. I've always been the skinny girl with the weak arms.......tbh tho, I still am....but I'm going for tone & definition. ^^

Old 05-11-2020, 11:05 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
I see voting is closed, but I just had to drop to see. I can do 15, comfortably. I can probably do more, but I'm about to start my weight training for today and I don't think push ups are on the schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness