Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 07:20 PM

709 posts, read 766,331 times

Advertisements

Have any runners (or other athletic participants) overcome a chronic achillies tendonitis problem?

A little background: I ran competitively in high school (track and cross country), and then ran sporadically into my 20's (entering the occasional 5k or 10k). When I tried to start running again in my early 30's, I started having problems with my achilles tendon, only the left being a problem. I could run for a couple of weeks, but it would gradually get more and more sore, to the point it was too painful to run. Now, if I try to start up running, no matter how gradual or slow I go with the training, my achilles will start aching and just get worse.

I've been to a podiatrist, tried PT, and tried some orthotics (not custom). Nothing helped. Has anyone beaten this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 11:24 AM

903 posts, read 583,535 times
I won't say I beat it, but using RockTape and KT Tape has helped immensely (I prefer RockTape). Pacing has also helped. There is probably a pace your body can handle and you just have to stay with that.

Sometimes, you have to pick a different form of exercise though. Just listen to your body.
cd :O)

Old 10-29-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
I won't say I beat it, but using RockTape and KT Tape has helped immensely (I prefer RockTape). Pacing has also helped. There is probably a pace your body can handle and you just have to stay with that.

Sometimes, you have to pick a different form of exercise though. Just listen to your body.
Thanks. Is that similar to trainer's tape, like football players use to tape their ankles?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:43 PM

903 posts, read 583,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
Thanks. Is that similar to trainer's tape, like football players use to tape their ankles?
I'm not sure, but I think Training tape is primarily just to isolate and try to give support. RT and KT are applied in particular ways depending on the area and designed to lift the skin away from the muscle and allow for greater blood flow which decreases swelling and aids in a faster recovery. In addition, the way it is applied it provides support to the area.

I know there are plenty of skeptics, but it worked for me. It became quite popular when you saw more and more Olympic athletes using it.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
I'm not sure, but I think Training tape is primarily just to isolate and try to give support. RT and KT are applied in particular ways depending on the area and designed to lift the skin away from the muscle and allow for greater blood flow which decreases swelling and aids in a faster recovery. In addition, the way it is applied it provides support to the area.

I know there are plenty of skeptics, but it worked for me. It became quite popular when you saw more and more Olympic athletes using it.

Ok. Thanks again. I'll check it out.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:28 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Have any runners (or other athletic participants) overcome a chronic achillies tendonitis problem?

I've been to a podiatrist, tried PT, and tried some orthotics (not custom). Nothing helped. Has anyone beaten this problem?
Not sure where you are located, but I would highly, highly suggest that you see someone who does www.neurokinetictherapy. com (NKT). You can find more info on the website, as well as get referrals for your local area. If you don't see anyone on the list near you, PM me & I can inquire. NKT in my limited understanding (I am not an NKT practitioner by a client) is basically a form of assessing dysfunctional movement patterns. For more info see this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZokrTHV7ZM
This therapy has been like a miracle for me.

The other person to check out is Dr Kathy Dooley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzIcVDfGv0s
http://www.drdooleynoted.com/rehab-video/

Quote:
Rocktape is totally different.
Rocktape is awesome!
Here's the website: http://rocktape.com/products/tape/
I would also recommend that you have a physical therapist or personal trainer (or someone trained in Rocktape's use) apply it, or show you how to apply as it is different.

I suggest you check out Perry Nickelston's website & u-tube videos, (website is down tonight), Stop Chasing Pain
but he teaches Rocktape seminars (I took his class in my town).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILufiLFHPBI

Last edited by caligirlz; 11-04-2014 at 12:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness