Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:10 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,266,091 times

Advertisements

I think worn out shoes are dangerous. They've lost the angles and support as designed, so I would think the foot strike and legs muscles are strained more since you are not striking the ground with the best angles and form.

As far as a minimalist shoe is concerned, I never ran in my Vibrams but have worked out in them. I never had issues walking around in them as I feel I was getting somewhat of a calf workout since I needed more muscle for every step ( a cushioned shoe also gives stride bounce). But, I have changed my tune on even working out on them. I completely severed my Achilles last April jump roping with my Vibrams on. I'm not so sure that would of happened if I was wearing cross training sneakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 06:44 PM

26,181 posts, read 21,496,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The shoe companies say to toss shoes after about 400 miles. I have put thousands of miles on a pair of shoes, probably at least 3500 mi. I only run on treadmill or on dirt/grass (except for the few blocks to get to the park).

When I buy new shoes I buy at least 2 pairs. I only buy Mizuno because their sizing is very consistent, and I'm confident I won't get stuck with several pairs of shoes, none of which fit.

Then every few months I set the new pair and old pair side by side on a glass table to make sure that there is no canting or other uneven wear. If I find uneven wear I would toss them, but I never have. I wear them until the upper starts coming apart, and then of course I have to toss them. Along with good fit, I have found Mizunos to be durable.

I've never tried the Wave Universe (weighs like 3.5 oz or something crazy like that). I want to see how many miles I can put on that one. I think normal life expectancy is something like 200 miles. I'll shoot for at least 1000. I suspect the upper won't hold up though.

3500 miles? You must be the size of a hummingbird or something is awry. I'm 185 lbs and run in saucony, mizunos and asics and all three brands start showing wear in 100-200 miles and by 500 I'm through the tread on the outer edges of both heels. In my current pair of saucony I've run 3 halfs and a full yesterday and they are showing some wear with a little bit of training

Old 01-20-2015, 04:27 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,329,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
3500 miles? You must be the size of a hummingbird or something is awry. I'm 185 lbs and run in saucony, mizunos and asics and all three brands start showing wear in 100-200 miles and by 500 I'm through the tread on the outer edges of both heels. In my current pair of saucony I've run 3 halfs and a full yesterday and they are showing some wear with a little bit of training
I'm about 130 lbs. The typical hummingbird is about one-tenth of one ounce, so I am 20,000 times heavier if my math is right, LOL.

I put a lot of miles on the treadmill, so that's probably a big factor. Soft treadmill belt=less abrasion and less wear. I also run 6-10 miles barefoot per week and forgot to figure that into my calculation. The number is just a guess, but an educated one. And as I say, only a very small fraction of my mileage is on pavement--probably around 1 or 2 percent on pavement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness