Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,957,876 times

Advertisements

3-4 days? Really? I used to train chest every other day. Then every two days. That's proly why my results are good but not the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 12:49 PM

522 posts, read 718,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Before you train again in general or train chest? I would take at a MINIMUM 3-4 days off between the same muscle group. If you don't need more then you aren't training hard enough.
solid. solid truth.

The first thing that was changed in my regimen by my gym guru was eliminate redundant workouts within 3-4 day span.
I used to do shoulders every day, chest every other day, back every other day, legs once or twice a week.
switched to what Dan says, and blew up in size within a couple of months

Old 11-18-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
solid. solid truth.

The first thing that was changed in my regimen by my gym guru was eliminate redundant workouts within 3-4 day span.
I used to do shoulders every day, chest every other day, back every other day, legs once or twice a week.
switched to what Dan says, and blew up in size within a couple of months
How did you do that if you were doing chest every other day? Wouldn't you build on what you had quicker? What happens when you recover longer? The next work out would build you up more?

What happens if you work chest and back every other day?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:45 AM

if this were the case, you would see marathon runners with the biggest legs ever, man.
When I worked my chest every other day, my chest was flat. same with my back and shoulders.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:02 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,359,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
How did you do that if you were doing chest every other day? Wouldn't you build on what you had quicker? What happens when you recover longer? The next work out would build you up more?

What happens if you work chest and back every other day?
Your muscles grow when you REST, not when you are at the gym. If you keep wearing them down at the gym they will have no time to grow.

Just like how important sleep is. Your body NEEDS sleep to build muscle. Many pro bodybuilders sleep 10+ hours a day/night. Also, your bodies naturally secretion of growth hormone while you're sleeping, so this is important as well to help build.

Most top level bodybuilders, who are on massive amounts of steroids and growth hormone, often still only train muscle groups one time per week. This is so they can really break the muscle down then give time to grow. The steroids and growth even speed up their recovery, yet they still often take a week off.

I'm telling you, rest is KEY. I used to lift 6 days a week, now I lift 3 and I'm bigger than ever, however my training is not very traditional.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:05 AM

Well that sucks for me and explains a lot. So was I wasting my time? Is everything I built just gone? I see improvements but nothing spectacular. I'm thinner and smaller not bigger. If I take a week off will my muscles recover or have I just lost them?

What happens?

Old 11-19-2014, 11:25 AM

Ive also heard mixed things about abs, can abs be exercised every day or every other day or once a week?

Old 11-19-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post

I'm telling you, rest is KEY. I used to lift 6 days a week, now I lift 3 and I'm bigger than ever, however my training is not very traditional.
quite frankly, I wish someone actually told me this much much sooner.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:53 PM

When you guys mean "rest" do you mean as in do absolutely nothing, not even cardio? I still want to run in order to get cut and burn fat.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:26 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,359,920 times
Quote:
Well that sucks for me and explains a lot. So was I wasting my time? Is everything I built just gone? I see improvements but nothing spectacular. I'm thinner and smaller not bigger. If I take a week off will my muscles recover or have I just lost them?

What happens?
No, you weren't wasting your time. You were overtraining which isn't ideal, but it's certainly better than nothing.

Quote:
Ive also heard mixed things about abs, can abs be exercised every day or every other day or once a week?
Eh, Abs are mostly in diet. I rarely do them. I hate doing them. Some people say abs and calves can be done daily but I would train them like the others. You could probably get away with every other day if you really had a lot of spare time

Quote:
When you guys mean "rest" do you mean as in do absolutely nothing, not even cardio? I still want to run in order to get cut and burn fat.
low intensity cardio would be fine. around 3.5 - 4 mph or so. Of course, you could do more that wouldn't be terrible, but you just don't want to over do it. Low intensity cardio on days off is agreed by many to be best in terms of building and preserving muscle. You could do higher intensity more often and be fine, but it may slow your progress "a little"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness