Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:24 AM

521 posts, read 732,833 times

Advertisements

Well it's not that new. We moved to Hawaii last year and ever since I have really struggled with exercising in the humidity! It drains all my energy within 5 minutes and just feels so sticky and gross. We live in a small town that does not have a gym and that was always my favorite way to exercise on the mainland. I love an air conditioned gym with lots of weight machines. Here it seems everyone is active outside and either hikes, surfs, or runs or all three. I have tried swimming in the ocean but the jaws song is always going on in my head so it's not that relaxing (especially since there have been more shark attacks on Maui lately). Running isn't my thing. My husband suggested jump roping since it is a fast, intense, full-body workout that can be accomplished in a short time frame (30 minutes). I used to love doing that but in cool weather. The heat is the main issue. Have also been walking 5 miles a day but still gaining weight! Help! I used to be a personal trainer on the mainland years ago and was very motivated but kept my workouts inside the gym. Really need tips and ideas on what to do where there is no gym (or air conditioning in general since electricity costs so much), and a lot of humidity! Any advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:02 AM

240 posts, read 267,695 times
Hi,

You indicated that you tried swimming in the ocean. Do you have access to a pool?

Old 11-20-2014, 08:14 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
Well it's not that new. We moved to Hawaii last year and ever since I have really struggled with exercising in the humidity! It drains all my energy within 5 minutes and just feels so sticky and gross. We live in a small town that does not have a gym and that was always my favorite way to exercise on the mainland. I love an air conditioned gym with lots of weight machines. Here it seems everyone is active outside and either hikes, surfs, or runs or all three. I have tried swimming in the ocean but the jaws song is always going on in my head so it's not that relaxing (especially since there have been more shark attacks on Maui lately). Running isn't my thing. My husband suggested jump roping since it is a fast, intense, full-body workout that can be accomplished in a short time frame (30 minutes). I used to love doing that but in cool weather. The heat is the main issue. Have also been walking 5 miles a day but still gaining weight! Help! I used to be a personal trainer on the mainland years ago and was very motivated but kept my workouts inside the gym. Really need tips and ideas on what to do where there is no gym (or air conditioning in general since electricity costs so much), and a lot of humidity! Any advice appreciated.
walking won't do anything. also, it is a proven fact that in colder climates, your body burns more calories in order to maintain the same body temperature. of course you'll gain a few pounds in a warmer climate. on average, I weight 5 pounds less in the winter than I do in the summer.

get an elliptical or stationary bike and put it in your house, with some free weights. drink ice cold water before/during workouts. your body will burn more calories when it ingests ice cold water.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:45 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Come on now, where you really a personal trainer? Must have been at Curves or the Y where they are not really trainers.

As a former trainer, you should know that you just have to "suck it up" and do it. Dont know what part of Maui you live in, but there are a LOT of Crossfit gyms there and even just doing a basic Google search of gyms so many show up.

I like your husbands idea of getting a jump rope. With just a jump rope, yoga mat and a 2-3 pairs of dumbbells you can do full body workouts very easily. You are just going to have to ask yourself if the uncomfortable-ness of working out in the heat is preferable to the uncomfortable-ness of living life being fat and go from there.

Easy routines with just the three items I listed above are:

20-30 minutes mixed jump rope (warm up)
Sets of DB goblet squats
DB squat thrusters
Tabata situps
Tabata pushups
Sun Salutations / Yoga

And many more. If you live in an apartment/condo without a yard, you can easily load this into your car and go to many areas of the island (park, beaches, etc.) and do this with plenty of space.

You have the opposite problem than most people. Usually, going to a climate and area like Maui where fitness (and beach) is a way of life motivates people to workout more. Whereas, going to a miserable cold place where people cover up all the time tends to de-motivate people. I personally HATE the cold, and LOVE the hotter, humid weather.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Come on now, where you really a personal trainer? Must have been at Curves or the Y where they are not really trainers.

As a former trainer, you should know that you just have to "suck it up" and do it. Dont know what part of Maui you live in, but there are a LOT of Crossfit gyms there and even just doing a basic Google search of gyms so many show up.

I like your husbands idea of getting a jump rope. With just a jump rope, yoga mat and a 2-3 pairs of dumbbells you can do full body workouts very easily. You are just going to have to ask yourself if the uncomfortable-ness of working out in the heat is preferable to the uncomfortable-ness of living life being fat and go from there.

Easy routines with just the three items I listed above are:

20-30 minutes mixed jump rope (warm up)
Sets of DB goblet squats
DB squat thrusters
Tabata situps
Tabata pushups
Sun Salutations / Yoga

And many more. If you live in an apartment/condo without a yard, you can easily load this into your car and go to many areas of the island (park, beaches, etc.) and do this with plenty of space.

You have the opposite problem than most people. Usually, going to a climate and area like Maui where fitness (and beach) is a way of life motivates people to workout more. Whereas, going to a miserable cold place where people cover up all the time tends to de-motivate people. I personally HATE the cold, and LOVE the hotter, humid weather.
Haha you are right about sucking it up. It's funny to be on the other side of the excuse. I worked at a muay thai gym before as a trainer as well as 24 hour fitness lol. But we are on the north shore kaua'i so there are less options than Maui unfortunately. I just never realized how much humidity would affect me. And yes the majority of people I meet here say they have become much healthier and lost weight. Both my husband (a Marine) and I have gained but I guess that happens with couples. We will have to force ourselves and I will try the routine you suggested.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSMUSIC View Post
Hi,

You indicated that you tried swimming in the ocean. Do you have access to a pool?
There is a pool that is part of a tennis club that is $100 a month to use. I was trying to not spend the money but may have to if the heat is too much.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:23 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Haha you are right about sucking it up. It's funny to be on the other side of the excuse. I worked at a muay thai gym before as a trainer as well as 24 hour fitness lol. But we are on the north shore kaua'i so there are less options than Maui unfortunately. I just never realized how much humidity would affect me. And yes the majority of people I meet here say they have become much healthier and lost weight. Both my husband (a Marine) and I have gained but I guess that happens with couples. We will have to force ourselves and I will try the routine you suggested.
Ha ha. I should have checked your profile to see that you were on Kauai and not Maui. Yeah, there isnt much at all going on in Kauai. Jump rope, dumbbells and yoga mat in a park or on the beach is about the best you can get there unless you want to drive all the way to Lihue or Kapaa.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:37 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
It takes a bit of time for your body to adjust to a different climate but it will adjust.

You can also get your own equipment if you have room in your home or garage. And kettlebells offer a great workout without taking up much room.

Main thing is to give time for your body to adjust to the climate and stay hydrated.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:55 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Do you not have AC where you live? Can't you jump rope inside?

Old 11-20-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
It takes a bit of time for your body to adjust to a different climate but it will adjust.

You can also get your own equipment if you have room in your home or garage. And kettlebells offer a great workout without taking up much room.

Main thing is to give time for your body to adjust to the climate and stay hydrated.
That's true. I do feel like we are slowly adjusting to the humidity since when friends/family come visit from San Diego (where we moved from), they are way more uncomfortable than we are. Hopefully it happens soon though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness