Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 12:56 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,999,232 times

Advertisements

It's like Facebook, except you just post pictures (you can caption them or post comments on them too) or also short videos (up to 15 seconds). It's designed for phones, so that you can photograph everything in your life and let the whole world see them. These photos are easily found by searching for hashtags they're marked with, so it's much less private than Facebook (though you can set your profile to private).

You can only make an account on a mobile device (iOS or Android, not sure if other mobile operating systems are supported). I don't have a smartphone, but I have an Android tablet that works fine, except I can only use it via WiFi. Once you have an account, you can log in from your computer, but can't post pictures from your PC.

People also make a big deal about requiring square pictures only, but I fail to see how that's an essential aspect, just makes it a little more annoying to post stuff sometimes. Socially, I've heard IG is the social networking website of choice by kids these days, not Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 01:14 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,725,166 times
I know a chick who is 350lbs. who has an instagram and photoshops herself to look about 115lbs. She should either get a lucrative fitness contract based on her photos or win an Insta-Grammy.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:42 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,303,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
What do they actually have to do, other than repost their stuff on their own IG accounts, and occasionally go to an event? If all they do is workout and have no job, it's better than nothing. I agree the people above them are getting more benefit than they are, but so what?
No i mean, some of the sponsorships are kind of a set up. At least with the supplements. They give them the first bundle or couple bundles for free, but then after a while someone from the company talks them into buying into the MLM system, with real money, promising how much they will sell since they are so popular already, etc.

(one of my cousins is an instagram fitness model MLM person and I had to listen to her sales pitch over thanksgiving...)

Old 12-11-2014, 05:16 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,999,232 times
I see. Well I haven't heard of this scheme from anyone on IG. Of course I don't know them personally, but I'd like to think they'd be smart enough to tell them to go to hell.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:59 PM

29,476 posts, read 22,494,633 times
Of course sex sells.

Our society has always based its 'value' of women on their sex appeal, his hot they are, etc etc.

It's ridiculous. Look at the attention an obscure volleyball player from a faraway country got just because of her presumed cuteness.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:16 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,377,425 times
She's a modern day Cindy Margolis. No more, no less. And yes she's wise to capitalize on it now because as others have mentioned, there's a new chick(s) right behind her online (pun intended.) "Fame" is fleeting these days with the internet.

As I stated before, she's not unattractive, but personally as a female, I don't find her motivating from a fitness standpoint. I consider her to be more like a headliner at a strip joint, if you will, hence her "sponsorships."

Old 12-11-2014, 06:32 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,988,163 times
She's fine. It's just funny that people like her get credit for an attribute seen for decades in others. It'd be like Beyoncé being hailed for having blonde hair. I can see the headlines: "Beyoncé makes blonde hair fashionable."

Her physical appearance will excite most men, but she's probably not motivating any women. It'd be like the Hemsworth brothers or Channing Tatum trying to motivate men to work out. Women would probably enjoy the "workout advice" more than the average straight male. However, there may be a subset of women that need to look like her for professional reasons (courtesans, cheerleaders, fitness models, strippers etc.).

Old 12-11-2014, 06:38 PM

919 posts, read 845,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post

Her physical appearance will excite most men, but she's probably not motivating any women. It'd be like the Hemsworth brothers or Channing Tatum trying to motivate men to work out.
I don't know if that's an apt analogy.
A lot of times I'd watch a movie and see some guy's impressive physique and be motivated to work out.
It's a competitive thing in males, I think (or I am gay and don't know it )

Old 12-11-2014, 07:10 PM

41,888 posts, read 74,952,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
She's a modern day Cindy Margolis.
Who?

Old 12-11-2014, 08:03 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,323,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
She's like one of the most popular people on youtube and instagram.

I dont really agree with your caveat because she isnt about promoting the female derriere, she's about promoting health and fitness. Is just that she became super famous because of her incredible body and her dedication to fitness, so who better to sign to such a lucrative deal than someone who:

1. Is incredibly beautiful
2. Presents a positive role model
3. Can help promote something as positive and helpful as healthy active lifestyle
4. Comes with a built in fan base of several million people (4.9 million followers on Instagram).

Her body really is absolutely incredible though. Im a big fan.
Post #2 was probably the most spot on in the entire thread. I think I already repped it, but if not sorry.

Unquestionably, she presents a positive role model. Certainly, the "let's move" campaign of First Lady Michelle Obama could not ask for a better representative. She could even deserve a place on Mt. Rushmore, with a rear-facing pose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness