Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:54 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times

Advertisements

What are we classifying as "high" reps here? That question begs to be answered before anyone can honestly answer this question.

I see a lot of comments but zero numbers..

Some powerlifters call 15 reps "high reps" while some women call 30 reps "high reps"...

In terms of effectiveness in building muscle, it is generally understood that it can vary from 6-15 reps as being best. Whether someone calls this "high" or "low" is merely an opinion.

I know some HUGE guys who almost never do under 12-15 reps. It's just their body type. Other guys are HUGE by never doing more than 6 reps.

I find it best to alternate. I had some of my best gains alternating like this.

Week 1: 6-8 reps
Week 2: 12-15 reps
Week 3: Drop sets (starting around 12 reps on first set)

Even at 20 reps I'm sure someone can still add muscle if they are starting from no exercise at all, I just don't think it would be as productive over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:02 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm not surprised you missed the point.

Light weight/high reps are better than no weights at all. A workout plan that the OP will stick with is the best plan.
Wasnt me who missed the point. OP's question wasnt "what is better high rep/low weight or nothing?". She also didnt say anything about being injured or having an injury so to even bring up anything about "If you are injured....." is totally off the point/topic.

Also, someone mentioned body weight exercises in another post. Body weight exercises are FANTASTIC and if performed properly (i.e., at high intensity levels like Tabata) can be just as effective (sometimes even moreso) than heavy weights.

Examples of body weight exercises:

Pullups
Pushups
Air squats
Burpees
"V" Ups
Situps
Handstand pushups or handstand static holds
Mountain climbers
Plank holds
Tuck Jumps
Pistol squats
Flutter kicks
Russian twists
Sprints
Distance running
Fartlek and HIIT running
Plyo jumps

These are all far superior to "light weight/high reps". The whole light weight/high rep crowd likes to avoid things like these that are ACTUALLY EFFECTIVE because their whole thing is usually "Its too hard".

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 12-16-2014 at 10:13 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
What are we classifying as "high" reps here? That question begs to be answered before anyone can honestly answer this question.
That is only half of the issue. We are talking about high reps LOW WEIGHT. To a lot of people out there, they would probably consider this to be cans of soup or 5 lb dumbbells which are lifted for 15 reps.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
That is only half of the issue. We are talking about high reps LOW WEIGHT. To a lot of people out there, they would probably consider this to be cans of soup or 5 lb dumbbells which are lifted for 15 reps.
If someone is pushing themselves to the same point of failure (i.e. last rep is 90% of failure) then higher reps will always have LOWER weight.

I.e. If I do squats at 365x4 and then at 315x8, the higher reps will always be lower weight.

I don't know if the OP was actually asking for an "ineffective" weight, I feel like they would have stated that.

Or, they would have said "a lower weight where they aren't really exerting effort."

Maybe the OP can correct me if I'm on, but for someone to think that lifting an amount of weight that is of no difficulty will produce results, then I don't know what to say. I know there's some people that believe that, and if so, we need to address that. The actual question which was asked and I answered I feel would be a better topic, regarding what was meant by the OP.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
If someone is pushing themselves to the same point of failure (i.e. last rep is 90% of failure) then higher reps will always have LOWER weight.

I.e. If I do squats at 365x4 and then at 315x8, the higher reps will always be lower weight.

I don't know if the OP was actually asking for an "ineffective" weight, I feel like they would have stated that.

Or, they would have said "a lower weight where they aren't really exerting effort."

Maybe the OP can correct me if I'm on, but for someone to think that lifting an amount of weight that is of no difficulty will produce results, then I don't know what to say. I know there's some people that believe that, and if so, we need to address that. The actual question which was asked and I answered I feel would be a better topic, regarding what was meant by the OP.
The fact that the question was even posed lets me know that the OP really doesnt have much knowledge at all about exercising/working out. When you and I think "low weight" we may think 60% - 70% of our one rep max, but having been around of forums for so long, 99% of the time when someone starts a thread about light weight/high rep for "toning" its almost always the "ineffective" weight they are referring to and they are for sure not going to failure.

Kinda like the cans of soup in this nonsensical video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee2cbvHGl8o

Old 12-16-2014, 11:32 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
WRONG!!! Light weight/high reps has been proven over and over and over by any and everyone who has knowledge of exercise/training/working out to be totally ineffective compared to higher weight training. The who low weight/high reps b.s. nonsense sticks around because people who know nothing about exercise read it in magazines like cosmo that is written by people who dont workout themselves.

High rep/low weight is nothing and should be avoided.
But the light weight stuff is what is done at Crossfit.

I mean the OP said tone which is low BF without sagging flesh.(fluffy) Well that is how women I know define it. So that is basically some sort of HIIT workout for the caloric burn with strength training to firm up the muscles. Sounds like Crossfit with Kettlebells or plates or light dumb bells. You know do 10 routines at 3x15 with only 30sec cool down inbetween those 45reps(a single 3x15).

Old 12-16-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
But the light weight stuff is what is done at Crossfit.

I mean the OP said tone which is low BF without sagging flesh.(fluffy) Well that is how women I know define it. So that is basically some sort of HIIT workout for the caloric burn with strength training to firm up the muscles. Sounds like Crossfit with Kettlebells or plates or light dumb bells. You know do 10 routines at 3x15 with only 30sec cool down inbetween those 45reps(a single 3x15).
Huh? What crossfits have you heard of? Those people lift heavy weights all the time. Often for time or max reps and what not, but they certainly use weights, and sometimes pretty heavy ones lol.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:48 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Huh? What crossfits have you heard of? Those people lift heavy weights all the time. Often for time or max reps and what not, but they certainly use weights, and sometimes pretty heavy ones lol.
I do not know why use LOL? Where did I say no weights?

I do it on the weekend. Class is co-ed. Weights vary by person's level or ability to complete a workout program.

I see heavy as a 165lbs person doing a typical 5x5 275lb bb squat

vs

I see light as same person using a 45lb plate for a near continuous 30min class involving walking lunges, sumo squats, squat jumps, goblet squats,overhead carry,shoulder raises or stairs, etc.

45lb weighs nearly nothing but if you have heft it around a bit and continously it feels like well weighty. Produces HR increase as a good cardio and DOMS as a heavy weight low rep workout

Last edited by Felix C; 12-16-2014 at 12:33 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 11:50 AM

412 posts, read 545,768 times
Thanks for your answers everyone.

Quote:
The fact that the question was even posed lets me know that the OP really doesnt have much knowledge at all about exercising/working out.
Well I certainly don't have knowledge of weight training. In the past I used to be a runner and did some exercises in the gym, nothing strict, very random. I no longer run like I used to and would still like a good exercise at the gym.

Quote:
Well my question came when I read another forum where some women said that doing high rep/low weights made them lean and not bulky. Then I read some fitness blogs that say that heavy weight/low rep is more effective, but they don't really expound upon it or talk about women that much. I always used to just use a varying level of heaviness of weights when I worked out a lot before, no strict regimen. If heavy weight/low rep is more effective in getting a lean, toned body, I would just do that.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:10 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Wow, I thought the myth of "low weight/more reps to get toned" had been pretty well debunked at least a decade ago. Weight is weight, and your muscles just build...they don't know "OK, now it's time to get toned" just because you're using less weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness