Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:45 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times

Advertisements

Gorillas grow huge muscles on a low protein vegan diet. Tigers grow powerful muscles on a completely carnivorous, ultralow carb diet. For omnivorous humans, it's more about genetics and the workout than the diet. Still, it's a good idea to have all the necessary macro- and micro- nutrients in place and available for tissue repair and growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Protein powders are not required to build muscle.

She is correct. The body needs carbs for energy to repair muscle (as well as replenish glycogen). Protein is just the building blocks. Protein is available in nearly everything we eat. However, meat, poultry, dairy, eggs, and seafood are the best "sources" because they have the most biologically compatible proteins. Vegans need to be very meticulous in their food choice to get all the amino acids our body needs.
Yes, we have a winner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 12:04 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Gorillas grow huge muscles on a low protein vegan diet. Tigers grow powerful muscles on a completely carnivorous, ultralow carb diet. !
LOL. And Elephants are big fat fatty fata$$es from just eating veggies. Animal arguments are irrelevant because we can choose what we eat and our own specific exercise/workout plans.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
No but it's immensely helpful.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:32 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarin View Post
My female friend trains for fitness /body contests and says to grow muscle you need starch and carbs (good ones) and not protein powders. She advise me to eat brown rice, oatmeal and sweet potatoes. This is something new to me.... Any thoughts?
Your friend doesn't know what she's talking about. Stop listening to her.

To build muscle to any serious degree, you need protein (about 1-1.5g/lb of LBM). The source doesn't really matter. That said, getting that kind of requirement from foods is difficult at best. Supplementing with protein powders that average about 25-30 grams of protein per serving makes it MUCH easier.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:33 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Carbs are used by the body as energy, not as building blocks for muscles, amino acids. Your body needs both carbs and protein in order to workout, rip muscle and rebuild it. You do not need to use protein powder, but you should be consuming protein quality foods, examples: cottage cheese, nuts/nut butters, cheese, yogurt, chicken, beef, turkey, salmon, eggs, etc.
The first 4 or 5 sources of protein are not ideal for just protein and shouldn't be considered staple protein sources. Many are also very high in fat and also calorie dense. Nuts are a terrible protein source. Their fat to protein ratio is incredibly high. They are a good FAT source, not a good protein source.

I really hope users further check advice given prior to jumping into things. It would be a shame if someone not knowing better started eating a ton more nuts and cheese considering it a "quality protein source" based on posts like this.

I had an overweight woman try and argue with me and justify that bacon is perfectly fine to have as her primary protein source. Whatever, enjoy continuing to not lose weight and having "no idea why"

Old 12-27-2014, 08:09 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
The first 4 or 5 sources of protein are not ideal for just protein and shouldn't be considered staple protein sources. Many are also very high in fat and also calorie dense. Nuts are a terrible protein source. Their fat to protein ratio is incredibly high. They are a good FAT source, not a good protein source.

I really hope users further check advice given prior to jumping into things. It would be a shame if someone not knowing better started eating a ton more nuts and cheese considering it a "quality protein source" based on posts like this.

I had an overweight woman try and argue with me and justify that bacon is perfectly fine to have as her primary protein source. Whatever, enjoy continuing to not lose weight and having "no idea why"
Contrary to many beliefs saturated animal fats are not the problem, excess carbs are.

Google biological value, cheese is a great protein source. Not all cheese is high in fat. Nuts/seeds have protein and fats, healthy fats, which the body also needs.

I did not mention specific nuts or cheese due to the variety of workout regimens, some are trying to bulk, some are trying to cut, some are trying to maintain, my answers justify all but not one in specific. I'm not a fat woman, nor do I recommend bacon to anyone.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:49 PM

22 posts, read 15,544 times
You don't NEED protein powder but you do need protein from foods to grow muscle and for life itself, which can be gotten from poultry, beef, pork, eggs, dairy, nuts, seeds, beans, and the small amounts in grains and tubers. If you want to get some of your protein allotment from powders, then do so.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:56 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You dont NEED it but it definitely helps.

Its incredibly difficult to gain muscle, this is why you see so many skinny guys at the gym working and working and working but not getting big. Its difficult to not only eat enough to gain muscle, but you have to eat the RIGHT THINGS in order for it to happen. This is why protein powder becomes so important. It helps you get additional protein to help with muscle gains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFitness View Post
You don't NEED protein powder but you do need protein from foods to grow muscle and for life itself, which can be gotten from poultry, beef, pork, eggs, dairy, nuts, seeds, beans, and the small amounts in grains and tubers. If you want to get some of your protein allotment from powders, then do so.
Pretty much every food we eat has protein in it. The difference is the amino acid composition and the quantity.

Most gymgoers severely overestimate the amount of protein they need. I make no special effort to make protein, despite working out 2-3 times per week and riding a bike 50 miles per week with commuting. Never had any issues building muscle.

One 3 oz serving of chicken has roughly half the protein your body needs in a given day.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Contrary to many beliefs saturated animal fats are not the problem, excess carbs are.

Google biological value, cheese is a great protein source. Not all cheese is high in fat. Nuts/seeds have protein and fats, healthy fats, which the body also needs.

I did not mention specific nuts or cheese due to the variety of workout regimens, some are trying to bulk, some are trying to cut, some are trying to maintain, my answers justify all but not one in specific. I'm not a fat woman, nor do I recommend bacon to anyone.
The problem to what? People being fat?

You are poorly mistaken. Carbs nor fat are the reason people are fat, calories are. In terms of strictly weight gain/loss, everything else aside, calories determine that. This thread is discussing protein. If someone wanted to add say, 50g of protein of nuts to their diet is a poor suggestion, in terms of calories.

In one cup of almonds there's a whopping 550 calories and a mere 20g protein. So to add 50g of protein, by nuts, would add over 1200 calories to their diet. That is unreal. Of course they would likely substitute other foods some, but taking out 1200 calories of other food just for a cup of nuts will likely leave them starving.

In a 10oz chicken breast there are a mere 275 calories, yet an equal 50g of protein. So for 1/4 the calories you are getting the same amount of protein.. What do you think is going to keep someone more full during the day.. 4 - 10 oz chicken breasts, or two and a half cups of almonds? They are or equivalent calories, yet one is full of protein and the other fat. Or even for a meal.. Half cup of almonds or 10oz chicken?

Like I said, nuts are calorie dense more than anything as a gram of fat has more calories than a gram of protein, so before you go suggesting people add nuts to their diet as a protein source, you should probably include the information I have above to prevent them from just adding in a bunch of nuts and getting fat.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Pretty much every food we eat has protein in it. The difference is the amino acid composition and the quantity.

Most gymgoers severely overestimate the amount of protein they need. I make no special effort to make protein, despite working out 2-3 times per week and riding a bike 50 miles per week with commuting. Never had any issues building muscle.

One 3 oz serving of chicken has roughly half the protein your body needs in a given day.
I'm sure your definition of "building muscle" differentiates greatly from others. I'm 5'10, 215 lbs, and around 12% BF. My arms are 18" and my waist is 32".. I eat over 6x as much protein as you suggested there. I have 8oz chicken or the equivalent, 6x a day. Roughly 300g protein a day. I have been doing this for around 3 years and have gained over 40lbs of muscle in that time.

For the average person? They could probably be fine with less than half that much protein, sure. But people at a higher level of REALLY building muscle need far more. My body needs all that just to maintain the muscle mass.

Look into actual pro bodybuilders diets. Guys that are 250lbs and 8% BF. They usually eat 10-12oz meat 7-8 times a day. These guys whole goal is building and maintaining muscle. Far more than your distant runner or everyday gym goer with different goals on a different level. I can promise you, top level bodybuilders have their diet down to a science in terms of building muscle and losing fat more than any other athlete in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness