Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 08:58 PM

342 posts, read 437,968 times

Advertisements

My female friend trains for fitness /body contests and says to grow muscle you need starch and carbs (good ones) and not protein powders. She advise me to eat brown rice, oatmeal and sweet potatoes. This is something new to me.... Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 09:01 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Carbs are used by the body as energy, not as building blocks for muscles, amino acids. Your body needs both carbs and protein in order to workout, rip muscle and rebuild it. You do not need to use protein powder, but you should be consuming protein quality foods, examples: cottage cheese, nuts/nut butters, cheese, yogurt, chicken, beef, turkey, salmon, eggs, etc.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:38 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times
You need a higher amount of quality protein than you'd usually consume when not building lean muscle mass. You can get that any way you want, but protein powder is an easy way to add protein to the diet without adding fat or carbs. That's why people use it. You need extra protein to build lean muscle mass.

Your female friend is wrong. Watch her, she'll probably end up gaining weight or gaining fat with all those carbs, instead of trimming up and getting lean. Excess carbs cause you to gain fat, because they provoke insulin in the body, and insulin stimulates the body to hold onto fat. You need some carbs, but not too much, like she's doing.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:40 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarin View Post
My female friend trains for fitness /body contests and says to grow muscle you need starch and carbs (good ones) and not protein powders. She advise me to eat brown rice, oatmeal and sweet potatoes. This is something new to me.... Any thoughts?
Protein powders are not required to build muscle.

She is correct. The body needs carbs for energy to repair muscle (as well as replenish glycogen). Protein is just the building blocks. Protein is available in nearly everything we eat. However, meat, poultry, dairy, eggs, and seafood are the best "sources" because they have the most biologically compatible proteins. Vegans need to be very meticulous in their food choice to get all the amino acids our body needs.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:24 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
No, you don't need protein powder to build muscle. You do, however, need lots of protein if you are into serious weight training. I wouldn't describe oatmeal, sweet potatoes and brown rice as muscle building foods though.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:15 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
You need much more than potatoes and rice to build muscle. You need determination to eat, train and sleep properly.

Protein powder isnt a requirement, just a good pool of natural protein, good fats and carbs should do well.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:26 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
You need protein to build muscle. Muscle consists mostly of protein, that is it's building block. When you work out your tear it down, in order for it to rebuild stronger/bigger then before, it needs material to rebuild with.

You need complete protein. Shakes are alright as a supplement to your diet, but that's it. Eat plenty of meat, basically.

Carbs are good too, I've found they help with recovery and performance in the gym.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:27 AM

248 posts, read 259,157 times
You don't need protein powder to build muscle if you get enough through your diet. The figure I've heard is one gram per pound of bodyweight, though I'm sure most people could get away with less than that.
Also not all protein is created equal. You should be eating a good amount of meat and dairy.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:23 AM

4,563 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Do we need protein powder to gain muscle? This is something new to me.... Any thoughts?
You dont NEED it but it definitely helps.

Its incredibly difficult to gain muscle, this is why you see so many skinny guys at the gym working and working and working but not getting big. Its difficult to not only eat enough to gain muscle, but you have to eat the RIGHT THINGS in order for it to happen. This is why protein powder becomes so important. It helps you get additional protein to help with muscle gains.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:28 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
If your friend is truly trains to compete in fitness/body contests I think you completely misunderstood or misheard her.

It doesn't even take someone of her level to know where protein, carbs, fats fit into a good diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness