Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:33 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure about jogging, but cemeteries can be pretty reasonable to the public.

When I was a territory rep in Balto. County, MD, I used to park in various cemeteries around my territory for an hour or so whenever I wanted to spend some computer, phone, or paperwork time in my unmarked company vehicle.

It was alot safer than sitting in an open parking lot, with cars and passersby all around.

Groundskeepers saw me and never flinched toward me to see what I was doing or ask me to move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 07:04 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
I would never run through a cemetery out of respect for the dead. I would gladly take the long way around, since theoretically the longer route is more of a workout anyway. If I wanted to enjoy the scenic route downtown, I'd head over there after the workout.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:48 PM

214 posts, read 301,116 times
At the cemetery my grandparents (and a number of relatives, including cousins and a great uncle) are in, I found out that it's commonly used by teachers from the high school across the highway for running/walking and the marching band uses it for parade walking practice space.

I'm A-ok with it, even if there were times they didn't always stick to the paved roads. The most depressing thing is a forgotten cemetery, full of markers for people long since forgotten about by the living.

I often compare a lot of the newer cemeteries full of flat, identical markers to a nursing home - the families stick them in the nursing home to be forgotten until they die, then stick them in the ground to be forgotten forever. In my family, at least, I'm pretty sure those who have already gone would be thrilled that people are enjoying themselves out in nature where they are buried.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:09 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
She also said she is NOT running over graves.

Not all cemeteries have signs saying private property - where I live now, they all do. However, where I grew up, none of them do. They are public spaces. I used to jog in them all the time, and a lot of people took walks there. They are like parks. When I'm dead, I'd like to be buried in a place where people go to walk and have fun - not some sad place where no one is even allowed in.

And there are probably no signs prohibiting running, or the OP wouldn't need to ask if it's OK.
Cemeteries are NOT public spaces, they are private property.

A park is a public space. A cemetery is not.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:42 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits22 View Post
I have recently started running and found that the easiest way to the most scenic route in town is through the cemetery.

It's a very large cemetery but it's not active and it does not have paved roads so I'm running across grass and probably an unmarked grave here and there.

I cut through there on my way to and back from every run. Do you think that this is disrespectful?
Show some respect for God Sake, if you had someone buried there, how might you feel as you come to visit a family members grave and find someone running through like it's a park? I find it very disrepectful. There are plenty of other places to run.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Running on graves? Of course it's disrespectful. What kind of question is that? You know better. Now stop it!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:13 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
If the cemetery has unpaved roads through it, if you stay on the roads I don't see any problem with it. Cemeteries can be peaceful, beautiful places and there's no reason to stay out of them. When I lived in NE, walking through cemeteries reading all the old gravestones was a favorite thing to do. I taught both kids to drive on the roads in a cemetery. But running on graves is disrespectful and should be avoided. It's not that the dead are offended but you aren't respecting the fact that someone's loved one is buried there by just using the space for something totally unrelated to their life.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times
I find it disrespectful. The cemetery is a place where loved ones go to remember their departed and it is meant to be a peaceful, contemplative environment conducive to healing memories and prayers, not a track and field venue.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:07 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
Stop doing it because you're going to p*ss someone off (dead or alive).

Why not open a grassy running park?

Old 01-10-2015, 09:28 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I don't think it's disrespectful. But I wouldn't do it unless there were paths...lots of trip hazards, and often uneven ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness