Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:36 AM

6,448 posts, read 7,744,967 times

Advertisements

I'm getting older and not tolerating the cold as well. The other day though I got a scare. I was running and my boy got numb. Totally numb. It was amazingly cold and very windy. I was wearing pants and athletic, moisture wicking underwear - they were thin material. This hasn't happened to me in the past though and I think I ran in these temps before. I mean I got cold before but this was different. I haven't ran in the cold since then, that was about 1.5 weeks ago.

Is there anything you do to keep yourself warm and protected? Any special underwear or anything?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,961,508 times
more layers - that's the key (as well as the top layer being windproof). Do you have an athletic supporter you can layer on top of or underneath the other underwear? Two pairs of underwear is always an option as well. When it's super cold and I am outside I wear a thin layer of long underwear made from silk or a heavier pair I also have made from some sort of thermal material (sometimes I even wear both, like when I am night skiing!). Seriously, layering is the solution.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:13 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,212,649 times
Windbreaker pants for me.
I actually had a similar thing happen when I was wearing non-windproof material while I was riding my bike.

In addition, I try to wear something tight as opposed to boxers so that my buddy is held close to the body.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:21 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,260,337 times
How cold of weather are you running in?

Whenever I run in the winter(30-40degrees) I never get cold down there (since blood is pumping/cycling throughout my body) it's when I stop running my hands, feet and pecker get cold. I always run in shorts, too (commando)

Old 01-14-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
How cold of weather are you running in?

Whenever I run in the winter(30-40degrees) I never get cold down there (since blood is pumping/cycling throughout my body) it's when I stop running my hands, feet and pecker get cold. I always run in shorts, too (commando)
I'm in Boston. It was a cold and windy day - in the low 20's with a maybe 15mph constant wind and higher gusts.

I think it was the wind that got me. I was running along the Charles River and the wind was whipping off of it.

My pants were not windproof or resistant at all I guess. My usual pants weren't available so I used a pair I hadn't worn for maybe 2 yrs. I guess I need different pants and another layer of underwear or maybe I need to concoct something out of a sock or thermal material. I was wearing athletic boxer briefs. They hugged all around - not loose at all. But they are thin material.

I may go out today again but am scared, it was anxiety provoking.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:42 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,212,649 times
low 20's with 15mph wind?
Gheez... that must have felt like it was in the single digits.

Wind chill factor is a killer for me especially when I am riding my bike.
I rode my bike when it was 18 and it was cold but manageable but there was hardly any wind.
Now in 20's with some wind.... totally different ball game. After about 10 minutes of riding, I couldn't take it anymore and headed back home.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:52 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,767,263 times
The running joke on bike forums is to say you need to get someone to knit you a willie warmer. But I'm pretty sure a square of fleece fabric folded up and tucked into your briefs would do the job.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:39 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,260,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I'm in Boston. It was a cold and windy day - in the low 20's with a maybe 15mph constant wind and higher gusts.

I think it was the wind that got me. I was running along the Charles River and the wind was whipping off of it.

My pants were not windproof or resistant at all I guess. My usual pants weren't available so I used a pair I hadn't worn for maybe 2 yrs. I guess I need different pants and another layer of underwear or maybe I need to concoct something out of a sock or thermal material. I was wearing athletic boxer briefs. They hugged all around - not loose at all. But they are thin material.

I may go out today again but am scared, it was anxiety provoking.
Yea, that's pretty cold!

I'm thinking a thick sock and duct tape.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:25 PM

It was cold for sure but the rest of me was fine. After 15 minutes, my body was warm. And I can tolerate the cold on the tip of my nose...I wasn't wearing a face mask.

And I was going slow. The wind just cut right into me I guess. It was horrible. I think the fleece is a good idea.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:10 PM

4,535 posts, read 5,342,406 times
Never really thought about having to do anything special for the private area. Mine never really gets cold because its all meaty and heavy with lots of blood circulation so it really almost generates its own heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness