Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:03 AM

95 posts, read 110,140 times

Advertisements

Should one stop any training after his tooth has been pulled? I mean I go to gym several days a week. It is a serious part of my lifestyle. I just don't want to miss any training yet my doctor says I should stop any weightlifting for as long as two weeks. Two weeks mean I lose a lot of muscles.

Do you adhere to the rule of stopping training once your tooth has been pulled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 07:46 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
Never heard that before. But:

Can I Exercise After a Single Tooth Extraction? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 01-26-2015, 08:24 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecru View Post
Should one stop any training after his tooth has been pulled? I mean I go to gym several days a week. It is a serious part of my lifestyle. I just don't want to miss any training yet my doctor says I should stop any weightlifting for as long as two weeks. Two weeks mean I lose a lot of muscles.

Do you really think you would lose that much muscle after only two weeks of rest?

Old 01-26-2015, 12:20 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Two weeks; lose a lot of muscle?

Lmao.

But then again, you're probably the type that can gain a shiit load of muscle in just two weeks.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:39 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times
I had a similar dilemma last summer. I tried to do my normal workout but the extraction area and my jaw would start throbbing. I did a modified version of my usual routine for about a week and gradually returned to my regular routine over the second week. I could tell the difference after the "easy" week but it didn't lead to a long-term deficit. I was quickly back to where I left off.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
When I had a tooth pulled, I was told to take it easy for two or three days to reduce the risk of bleeding. The day of the extraction, I did nothing but lie on the sofa, take ibuprofen, and listen to music. The next few days, I was fine, but didn't work out except for some easy walking. I did no weights for a week.

Even a "serious" person won't turn into a 98-pound weakling if s/he lays off weights for two weeks. Listen to your dentist, and don't do anything stupid.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:03 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
Do you have to take antibiotics after a tooth is pulled? That is what would upset me. I don't think you want to exercise a lot on antibiotics.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
You generally get prescribed antibiotics after a tooth is pulled...both because oftentimes, the tooth is being pulled due to an abscess, but also because you have a temporary open wound in an easily infected area.

One big reason oral surgeons and dentists prescribe taking it easy after an extraction is because they don't want the blood clot that forms to be dislodged and cause a dry socket. Dry sockets are a very special kind of agony.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:12 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,152 times
Interesting, I just had a tooth pulled on Saturday. I asked the dentist that very question. He said give it 24 hours to heal and form a clot, then you can workout. Just be sure to breath through your nose or an open mouth, that way you don't create suction and possibly dislodge the blood clot. If you do, you can get a dry socket and make things worse. He also said to make sure to keep your mouth moist so the clot didn't dry out and cause problems.

Of course this all depends on how involved the extraction was and how much pain you're in. Your DDS would know best.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:36 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecru View Post

I have a tendency to follow doctor's / dentist's orders.

I dont have a "rule" that I "adhere" to when it comes to training after tooth is pulled because Ive never had a tooth pulled.

Are you training for a specific event that occurs on a specific day that causes your concern about not working out for a week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness