Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:18 PM

240 posts, read 239,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits22 View Post
I've been giving a lot of thought to trying squats but I'm not sure if I should. I have read in many places that they will add muscle everywhere because of the increase in growth hormone you get from doing them. so will I end up with larger biceps just from doing them? Can I do just do less of the bicep curls to compensate?

I'm also worried about form and hurting my knees over the long term. I have read that the right shoes will help with that. This site recommends a couple different options Get The Right Squat Shoes Now, Or Your Knees Will Hate You Later based on the stance I will take. Bit I'm not sure which stance will be more comfortable for me yet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I'm a squat newb who may have been reading too much online.
DOnt worry about that ,you should be concentrating on keegles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 04:11 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
50lbs in 3months is fairly easy. Its not due to heavy lifting, but heavy eating. And out of the 50lbs, roughly 10lbs of it could possibly be muscle (@ the very best)
Oh, I thought you were claiming 50 pounds of mostly muscle.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:05 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Oh, I thought you were claiming 50 pounds of mostly muscle.
Lmao, right. Its very difficult to gain 50lbs of lean muscle in 3years, let alone 3months.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:52 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,771 times
I know that squats are all the rage right now, but in reality they are highly technical lift, that can easily result in injury if performed incorrectly.

While not a direct substitute, I would recommend doing deadlifts; however, if you want to perform a lift comparable to a squat, the trap-bar deadlift is probably your best solution.

The main thing you have to be cognizant of with the trap-bar deadlift is when you are fully extended and holding the bar, you have to be careful not to wobble or you could hurt your lower box.

Fortunately, the deadlift is a tremendous lower back builder.

Take it for what it's worth. You probably shouldn't be bad mouthing your husband on here though. He's probably just concerned for your safety. You should be too. Pride comes before the fall.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:56 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
That must be some kind of record. Got pics?

Seriously, why would a guy train only legs? Some unusual sport, like bobsledding?
I didn't train legs only, I did a full body Nautilus for the other parts of my body. It's just that squats built me up overall very quickly. I trained for football line play.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:59 AM

Quote:
50lbs in 3months is fairly easy. Its not due to heavy lifting, but heavy eating. And out of the 50lbs, roughly 10lbs of it could possibly be muscle (@ the very best)
Yes, I did eat - a lot. Went from 225 to 275. I can guarantee you that as a large- framed 19-year old, it was more than 10 lbs. of muscle I gained. My workouts were VERY intense.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:47 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes, I did eat - a lot. Went from 225 to 275. I can guarantee you that as a large- framed 19-year old, it was more than 10 lbs. of muscle I gained. My workouts were VERY intense.
3lbs+ of lean muscle a month is extraordinary (even with steroids) 10+lbs in 3months done naturally - I never heard of.

You are not human, Lol. But if you say so.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
3lbs+ of lean muscle a month is extraordinary (even with steroids) 10+lbs in 3months done naturally - I never heard of.

You are not human, Lol. But if you say so.
It's my body, not yours. In any event, it wasn't natural. Ever hear of the anabolic properties of taro? The Samoan and Hawaiian boys know. In the Caribbean we call it malanga. Combine that with lots and lots of clean, green vegetables, rice and beans, lots of shellfish and chicken and a tiny bit of red meat, and no refined sugar, and you get one big Bruddah.

And you're right. I'm not human.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
On a scale of 1 - 10, with 1 being the most lethal to men in the vicinity... being in the free weight section of the gym where a nice looking woman is doing lunges is about a 5. Squats are a 2. Stiff legged Deadlifts are a 1. That's why you don't see any women doing them. They are doing you a favor. Don't tempt fate. All that said, I think the o.p.'s husband is onto something. I don't think some time spent leg pressing on the machine would be the worst way to build up to free weight squats. The connective tissue around the hips and knees can benefit from some time spent at low weight high reps. Unweighted squats (deep knee bends) are fine but realistically thats 125lbs or so for a starting weight. What if you could start at 45 or 50lbs. and work up to ~150lb over a period of weeks (8?), switch to free weight squats for another eight weeks and then she can hit the Power Rack and take names. She has the rest of her life. Strength Training is a journey, not a goal. FWIW.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:32 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Squats can give you a nice fit body and legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xxvJC4B3Cs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness