Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 06:15 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times

Advertisements

OP, if you never fully rehabbed a broken leg (sounds like a serious break if you are comparing it to the Theisman injury) you would be well-served to work out that stiffness though some no/low impact training before you start stacking weight on it.

I recommend the stationary cycle and the rowing machine. The cycle will get your leg moving again and is good for breaking the cob webs off those atrophied muscles and gets them used to moving again. The rowing machine, if you do it right, will actually simulate a body-weight squat and get your quads firing, as well as a lot of muscle groups in your upper body.

If you're worried about using free weights, there are some alternatives, though I highly recommend you eventually "graduate" to the free weights. Leg press and squat press with very light weights are fine, and as your confidence in your strength grows don't be afraid to add weight to it. Smith squats are another good alternative, and you can get different muscle groups involved in the lift by making minor adjustments to your feet placement.

Also, you can use an ankle strap and the cables to do numerous leg exercises. Since you are doing only one leg at a time, you'll find your core and balancers get involved, even at very light weights.

Lastly, don't be afraid of the free weights! If you want to lose weight a good way to do it, even while rehabbing an injury, is to do weight training. You can't be working your legs every day in the weight room, so go and do some upper body work as well. Your goal should be to work up to the barbell lifts because a lot of these lifts work so many muscle groups simultaneously. Plus, despite "looking" intimidating to some, these lifts are all very easy to do. The three staples are the bench press, the squat (free weight) and the deadlift. There are others, but these three are common to most strength programs.

Start small, work your way up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 02:42 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
my legs just stiff at the ankle. the musle isn't loose so if you ever saw me run, id hobble. I just don't think mentally I can trust myself ever doing squats. I used to squat 375 in HS. I don't think I trust myself doing 100 because I don't have balance anymore.

my musle in a sense is dead. all that calf workouts ill feel it in my right leg, nothing in my left. so im wondering what to do.lol. but ill start with the TRX and doing some squats.

oh! just noticed you live in Fberg,VA

if you have 24 hr fitness come up to Tysons and maybe you can show me something lol.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
my legs just stiff at the ankle. the musle isn't loose so if you ever saw me run, id hobble. I just don't think mentally I can trust myself ever doing squats. I used to squat 375 in HS. I don't think I trust myself doing 100 because I don't have balance anymore.

my musle in a sense is dead. all that calf workouts ill feel it in my right leg, nothing in my left. so im wondering what to do.lol. but ill start with the TRX and doing some squats.

oh! just noticed you live in Fberg,VA

if you have 24 hr fitness come up to Tysons and maybe you can show me something lol.
You may surprise yourself with your balance, but there is a way to address that. Planking exercises are a great way to develop your core and balancers, and they are low risk to you because you are close to the ground. Just start with your hands on the ground, toes on the ground, back straight, like you're in the upright position of a push-up. Hold that position for at least 30 seconds, then drop to your elbows and do it again. Then you have side planks, back bridges... there is a lot of stuff you can be doing to get your balance back.

Yeah, I'm in Fredericksburg. I don't have 24 hour fitness, I use American Family Fitness. Not sure if they have a facility up there. Either way, make no mistake, I'm not a trainer. I just know what has worked for me over the years. Plus we haven't even really discussed the nutrition side of this. My knowledge on what you should be doing from a nutritional standpoint is actually fairly basic. Again, I see what has worked for me and my body type, plus I've seen what has worked for my wife (has lost quite a bit of weight in the last year) and can plan accordingly. Beyond the basics, I'm less likely to be able advise someone else what they should be doing based on their goals.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:39 PM

378 posts, read 441,332 times
Default Re: "feel woozy and lightheaded"

Quote:
well I want to lose weight but build muscle to avoid having hanging loose skin, especially my gut/stomach (which is where most of my weight is on).

until I get my medical issues in order, I want to avoid spiking my BP which happens when I do elliptical and treadmills. once I get off those, I feel woozy and lightheaded. the gym I had in Pittsburgh had these ropes where you used your own body to work out and also had those ropes on the ground. I loved those, but odds are I wont find a gym where im at now, so I figured stick to machines until I gain some stamina, core strength,etc.

so that's back to the machine question. I am not sure how much weight I should start off with. I figured 3 sets, with increase of reps but less weight each set. first being the heaviest. I plan to work on one area each day of the week and probably do a elliptical for 5 mins at the end to cool off. you know, put cardio in there too.

anyways, advice is appreciated.
That is not a good sign. You should check with your doctor (before you do any exercise).

Old 02-17-2015, 01:04 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
...until I get my medical issues in order, I want to avoid spiking my BP which happens when I do elliptical and treadmills...

First things first - talk to your doctor about working out and make sure you're safe to do what it is you envision doing.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:18 AM

ugh im just confusing myself here. I don't want to use a personal trainer because everyone seems to ignore my input of what id like (because I can work those areas using machines and not pay them).

Its bad enough that I feel insecure at the gym. I rather talk live to the entire world on tv than walk into the gym not knowing wtf im doing or going to do. fat guy who doesn't know wtf hes doing is just unacceptable to me.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:16 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Talk to your doctor, yet?

Old 02-23-2015, 03:52 AM

nope, but I did notice that since the last time I went to the gym ive gotten better and less dizziness( I also lost weight since so it helped)

now its just a matter of stamina/durability on cardio machines

and figuring out if im using proper form on machines because I want to build arm strength before I use the free weight bench to lift( for chest)

Old 02-23-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
nope, but I did notice that since the last time I went to the gym ive gotten better and less dizziness( I also lost weight since so it helped)

now its just a matter of stamina/durability on cardio machines

and figuring out if im using proper form on machines because I want to build arm strength before I use the free weight bench to lift( for chest)
I think most would tell you your logic is backward. You start inward and work your way out. I highly recommend getting on that bench press and starting there, where your gains and return on your effort investment will be a lot higher. The bar alone weighs 45 pounds. Start with that alone until you are comfortable with the form of the proper lift. Then add some weight when you are confident you've mastered the proper form.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:34 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I think most would tell you your logic is backward. You start inward and work your way out. I highly recommend getting on that bench press and starting there, where your gains and return on your effort investment will be a lot higher. The bar alone weighs 45 pounds. Start with that alone until you are comfortable with the form of the proper lift. Then add some weight when you are confident you've mastered the proper form.
I wouldn't tell him his logic is backward. I would suggest starting with machines, and getting used to lifting and gaining some strength. The trouble with recommending that someone start with lifting the bar alone is most guys don't won't to be seen doing bench presses with only a barbell. Most guys will struggle with more weight than they can handle just to try to look good.

I would rather see someone continue to lift than get discouraged because they feel like the weakling in the gym. I would recommend free weights if the OP was a high school athlete, but machines will provide the majority of the potential benefits for an older, out of shape person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness