Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:11 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times

Advertisements

The two things I do when I want to lean out for trail running and/or long hiking trips (plus I'm an ex Cat II, so know a little bit about cycling) is to brush up on my Maffetone method and use kettlebells.

If I consistently do kettlebell swings I can almost get away with murder on my diet and still lean out plus add muscle.

In the beginning of whatever season I am training for I will do some Maffetone inspired training on the weekends. Go out fueled on nothing but a few cups of coffee for 3+ hours. Bring some food if I really need to bail out, but just do coffee and water for 2-3 weekends in a row. Helps me learn to efficiently burn body fat as fuel and gets rid of any extra fat I do not need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 02:28 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
MSchemist, not sure of your level with fitness so just wanted to make sure you understand what rarog is saying.

Muscle is heavier than fat, a good deal heavier. Oftentimes, people want to tighten up, get lean lose weight, etc. They do strength training and don't see much weight loss but that's because they've gained muscle. So they are moving in a great direction but are fooled because of the numbers they see on the scale.
Yep I understand that but is it possible to build muscle on a low calorie diet with heavy cardio?

I do very long rides at least 6 or so 100 milers and routine 66+ milers in the summer but because of the need to eat not to bonk on such long rides I don't end up losing anything.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:44 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
If you're totally new to lifting, it's possible for a few months. If you have experience, you're going to need to eat in a surplus to gain muscle. The goal of lifting in this case is to minimize muscle loss (when cutting).

Old 02-06-2015, 11:46 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Yep I understand that but is it possible to build muscle on a low calorie diet with heavy cardio?

I do very long rides at least 6 or so 100 milers and routine 66+ milers in the summer but because of the need to eat not to bonk on such long rides I don't end up losing anything.
I again agree with rarog that it’s possible if it’s new but not for long. In general though you’re right that your muscle will absolutely need to be fed...a lot.

I never made it to cat2. I ended things while a lowly cat 3 (and mostly a middle of the pack cat3 at that) but are you perhaps eating too much on the bike?

Old 02-07-2015, 01:34 PM

21,880 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
I could use some advice. I am trying to squeeze off some weight for the next cycling season. I've been relying on the treadmill for exercise portion. I have been alternating between steady state (5.1-6.1 mph 1% incline 3-3.5 miles 30-40min) and interval (2.5 min intervals of 6.9mph alternating with 5.1 at 6% incline for the high intensity intervals)

Anyways I am a bit concerned about my heart rate. I bought a Polar FT-1 and it indicates I am a bit above the recommended range. My heart rate tends to be arround 165 bpm during steady state but can spike as high as 185 during the high intensity intervals. I am a 34 y/o male whose recommended max rate is 186 and resting is 64). I am putting myself in danger?
Go to a doctor.

Since you're in your 30s, my opinion is just go find out what your maximum heart rate actually is rather than use the 220-age. You're unlikely to have an health conditions at 30 that would make doing a maximum heart rate test dangerous.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:53 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
I'm a little older than you and I never go over about 155 heart rate. Cardio range for people around our age starts clear down at like 136 BPM. Some people also refer to the Cardio zone as the Aerobic zone. If I'm jogging and trying to get the best time possible like in a 5k or something I may hit 160 but I don't like to. I couldn't imagine being at 186 that has to feel like your heart is about ready to explode and generally for me, around 160 is when the dizzy feeling starts to set in.

I would not worry about the cardio vs weightlifting issue, just do both and it all works out in the end. No need to overanalyze it.

When Lance Armstrong made a comeback he focused on his back muscles, and leg muscles obviously.

Men's Health - Celebrity Fitness - The Lance Armstrong Workout

Last edited by wanderlust76; 02-09-2015 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: add'l points/info

Old 02-09-2015, 04:05 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
not a big deal but also not the right approach to improve cycling or lose weight
check out the book "Race Weight"
also check out john stone fitness, he cut a lot of weight for cycling

Old 02-10-2015, 11:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
I could use some advice. I am trying to squeeze off some weight for the next cycling season. I've been relying on the treadmill for exercise portion. I have been alternating between steady state (5.1-6.1 mph 1% incline 3-3.5 miles 30-40min) and interval (2.5 min intervals of 6.9mph alternating with 5.1 at 6% incline for the high intensity intervals)

Anyways I am a bit concerned about my heart rate. I bought a Polar FT-1 and it indicates I am a bit above the recommended range. My heart rate tends to be arround 165 bpm during steady state but can spike as high as 185 during the high intensity intervals. I am a 34 y/o male whose recommended max rate is 186 and resting is 64). I am putting myself in danger?
You are not putting yourself in danger unless you have a hidden heart issue. Your heart is not going to explode. You don't injure your heart by exercising it.

I'm a runner who has gone through two Polar HR monitors. I used them for all my daily runs and around 185 races ranging from a mile to marathons over about 15 years starting when I was 40. I used to see if could break my previous maximum heart rate. I was able to do this numerous times at the end of races. I hit a Max HR of 192 a couple of times, the last at age 51. It was at the end of a 5K race on a hot humid day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Go to a doctor.

Since you're in your 30s, my opinion is just go find out what your maximum heart rate actually is rather than use the 220-age. You're unlikely to have an health conditions at 30 that would make doing a maximum heart rate test dangerous.
So you are going to schedule an appointment with a doctor to find out what your maximum HR is? First of all, you will never run hard enough on a cardiac stress test to find out what your true Max HR is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I'm a little older than you and I never go over about 155 heart rate. Cardio range for people around our age starts clear down at like 136 BPM. Some people also refer to the Cardio zone as the Aerobic zone. If I'm jogging and trying to get the best time possible like in a 5k or something I may hit 160 but I don't like to. I couldn't imagine being at 186 that has to feel like your heart is about ready to explode and generally for me, around 160 is when the dizzy feeling starts to set in.

I would not worry about the cardio vs weightlifting issue, just do both and it all works out in the end. No need to overanalyze it.

When Lance Armstrong made a comeback he focused on his back muscles, and leg muscles obviously.

Men's Health - Celebrity Fitness - The Lance Armstrong Workout
You're right about a HR of 186 feeling like your heart is going to explode. The idea of HR training is to maximize your hard days by running over 85%HR for at least part of your run, and run below a 65-70% Max HR on your easy days. There is a formula that uses both your actual maximum and minimum HR to determine your training zones. It is called the Karvonen formula. See Heart Rate Reserve, HRR | Polar Global

Old 02-11-2015, 08:26 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
There are varying opinions in the medical world regarding heart rate, at least based upon my research.

I disagree that thinking about heart rate is a waste of time, but also don't believe you need to be an engineer to figure out your high-end interval heart rate.

The 220 - age formula is a gauge, a starting point. I used it to see at what exertion level would put me at 95% max heart rate (I'm 54 now). Once I felt my body a few times at that rate, for me I realized I put out good exertion to get there. I have a 50 or so resting heart rate, and I have to work really hard to get up the rate towards max.

My only thought from my research is not to take the heart lightly. Do your research and at least understand averages on age and rate, and then listen to your body and adjust accordingly. I also suggest as others have to speak with your doctor, at a minimum to make sure there isn't something he/she knows about you that may determine what level you should be at, at least at the start. And also as others have stated, the diet is around 80% of what determines weight and fat loss, as well as fuel for your exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness