U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 04:59 PM

3,185 posts, read 3,868,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Serving pizza AT ALL at a gym is counter intuitive and tells you all you need to know about that 'gym'.
Oh please. If sports equipment stores don't sell 100% top of the line equipment does that mean they don't deserve anyone's business? Gourmet food stores still sell Oreo's. Wiifit is a video game that requires physical activity, does that mean it doesn't deserve to be called a video game? Lighten up, sheesh.

Planet Fitness isn't trying to keep their members fat by serving pizza once a month. They are playing the "ultra-casual/beginner's" gym angle and doing a good job with it.

Counter intuitive, I do not think that word means what you think it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 05:56 PM

3,415 posts, read 2,893,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Serving pizza AT ALL at a gym is counter intuitive and tells you all you need to know about that 'gym'.
Totally agree. Its like finding a vending machine that sells cigarettes in the lobby of a cardiologists office. STUPID!!

I wouldnt go into a Planet Fitness if they offered me free membership. That place is just not at all my kind of gym.

This commercial is funny though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfmpXsLV_4

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 02-21-2015 at 06:28 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 06:09 PM

4,839 posts, read 5,900,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Oh please. If sports equipment stores don't sell 100% top of the line equipment does that mean they don't deserve anyone's business? Gourmet food stores still sell Oreo's. Wiifit is a video game that requires physical activity, does that mean it doesn't deserve to be called a video game? Lighten up, sheesh.

Planet Fitness isn't trying to keep their members fat by serving pizza once a month. They are playing the "ultra-casual/beginner's" gym angle and doing a good job with it.

Counter intuitive, I do not think that word means what you think it means.
Of course I know what it means. Apparently you have a problem understanding what a gym is for.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:14 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,210,479 times
Pizza isn't the worst thing someone could eat on occasion. I've been a member several months now and haven't even seen the pizza deal. As much as fitness snobs like to put PF down it inspires me. I love seeing people who never worked out before taking interest in being fit. Handicapped,elderly,out of shape people that have decided to give a dam#. The fit people there are supportive and not into bashing people who aren't at that level yet. Everyone starts somewhere.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:09 PM

12,633 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Come on now people...

Pizza once a month, week, whatever, is not going to do anything. If pizza is going to harm someone that bad, they have bigger issues going on. Also, the concept of self control should come at play as well, sorry, adults should not have to have their hand held to avoid food they should not be eating. If my gym offered some pizza, I would eat some, I do not care nor is it my concern other people do not have self control. But again, that little bit a pizza is not going to do anything, it is not like people are teetering on the edge of obesity, and if they eat just one little thing more, they fall off a cliff. Exercise and good dieting is just a lifestyle, not something someone does for one hour, three days a week in the gym.

As for Planet Fitness, it is their business model, pretty simple. I think the place is a joke, but their business model is not aimed at people like me, just as Applebees is not aimed at people like me either, and neither is Coors Light. But I wish Planet Fitness would be more upfront about it instead of trying to masquerade around what they are, which is a place that wants to attract those who are not engaged in serious exercise and/or who have self esteem issues; their commercials should really be like those Addiction Centers of America commercials, just actually say what they heck you do and not beat around the bush.

Speaking of commercials, absolutely ridiculous, and that lunk alarm is among the dumbest things out there.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:49 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)

10,285 posts, read 10,442,913 times
Hey, now! Let's not be knocking Coors Light. On a hot day when I'm getting ready to mow the lawn, I'll strategically place a Coors Light or two in the freezer along with a mug. Then I'll go out in the heat and handle the task at hand. It takes the perfect length of time. By the time I return, the beer is just beginning to ice up. I pour it into my frothy mug and have a Coors Light slushy! I wish they sold those at 7/11!

Old 02-22-2015, 07:24 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,763,880 times
I probably would be thrown out of PF as well. I'm a middled aged slightly overweight woman who loves going to the gym. While I'm there, I really try to push myself and do lightly grunt at times if I'm working to failure/ doing a hard set. I even apologized to my trainer for huffing and puffing and lightly grunting. It is pretty much involuntary. If a "lunk" alarm went off because of something I was doing, I would be mortified. I can't stand the really loud folks there. But come on....a few noises. Not for me.

As to pizza being served there on occasion, not a huge thing.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:54 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,210,479 times
The only time I ever hear the lunk alarm at my home location is when the heavy lifters get a little noisy. Sometimes I won't hear it and some days it goes off 2 or 3 times. It doesn't go off just because you are breathing heavy on the treadmill etc... no one is mortified and most people dont even hear it past their earphones. Is it kitschy? Yes . Is it something that would stop me from going? No.

I think PF advertises exactly what they are. They are a beginner's gym and a lower budget choice. Someone with the right discipline can succeed there just as easy as the premiere establishments.It's not for power weight lifting,Olympic training or the person who requires the best of the best. It is a great option for us people who just want to work out and not be intimidated or gawked at. If I don't know how to use a machine,someone is there to help me. I'm sorry but at some gyms there would be a group snickering about how the fat girl can't figure it out. Those kind of people don't join PF because they think the shape of other people is a reflection on them.

I don't want to sound judgemental about choosing nicer gyms. There is nothing wrong with that. I am irked by the consistent ranting about PF not being a real gym and just some slackers buffet. It's like setting the same equipment into a PF magically reduces its function. An elliptical works the same there as it does at "solstice".

Old 02-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)

10,285 posts, read 10,442,913 times
cyn,

I think you raise some valid points about PF, and I agree they do advertise what they are and are not. More importantly, if it is working well for you by all means I wish you the best. I agree with you that it is a beginner's gym. Their marketing focusses on peoples' insecurities regarding gyms deemed more advanced. Overstated or not, some people do get intimidated by the gym and the people therein. To a 35 year old woman with a few pounds to lose and who hasn't stepped inside a gym since PE class in high school, PF may be a much more welcome option. There is certainly nothing wrong with that.

With that said, I think the backlash toward their commercials (which I personally find hilarious) is well deserved. While some mainstream gyms may be meathead central, a lot of them are not. PF is overplaying a stereotype, and while there may be a little truth in every stereotype they take it to an absurd level. I think that is the main reason you see members here rag on the place.

Personally I would not pursue a membership there, but if it works for you then you are in the right place. Good luck in your efforts.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 PM

419 posts, read 999,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
It is a great option for us people who just want to work out and not be intimidated or gawked at. If I don't know how to use a machine,someone is there to help me. I'm sorry but at some gyms there would be a group snickering about how the fat girl can't figure it out.

If you enjoy the place and feel comfortable there I think that is great.

I have been in many different gyms over a 30 year span and I have never once seen anyone snicker at anyone who was trying to figure out how to use a machine or make fun of a fat girl. I can completely understand you feeling insecure, but that most definitely stems from one's self and not from other gym members. The place I go to currently is somewhat of a middle of the road type of place, the span is from muscle heads to physically and mentally challenged and the place has a decent harmony about it.

Every single member at one point in their life was a beginner and I can pretty much guaranty you they all remember that day.

Again, if you like PF and feel comfortable, that is what matters, I just feel you are wrong about anyone laughing at anyone in other establishments. Leaving your own personal ego at the door needs to be done with any and every gym you walk in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness