U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:31 AM

3,911 posts, read 3,853,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
Wrong.

I used the Smith yesterday--which is fine for squats. I would also be very surprised if you could life the whole stack on any machine, or their heaviest dumb bell. Or even bar bell.

So if you cannot then how can PF not do you any good when there are weights and machines you cannot max out? Since lifting more is doing you good. And this is not to mention all the cardio equipment.

But I'm guessing you are mot much of a cardio guy.
A Smith Machine is not substitute for barbell back squats. Barbell squats recruit way more muscles and are much more difficult. Also, what about deadlifts? I'm not the strongest guy in the world but I can bench press at least 300 pounds, deadlift over 400 pounds and squat well in excess of 400 pounds. I can probably add another 50 to 100 pounds to each of those lifts. Now, how heavy are those barbells and dumb bells? lol

I also get plenty of cardio practicing muay thai, krav maga and boxing. Anyway, have fun at PF. At least you're doing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 12:10 PM

10,127 posts, read 10,319,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
A Smith Machine is not substitute for barbell back squats. Barbell squats recruit way more muscles and are much more difficult. Also, what about deadlifts? I'm not the strongest guy in the world but I can bench press at least 300 pounds, deadlift over 400 pounds and squat well in excess of 400 pounds. I can probably add another 50 to 100 pounds to each of those lifts. Now, how heavy are those barbells and dumb bells? lol

I also get plenty of cardio practicing muay thai, krav maga and boxing. Anyway, have fun at PF. At least you're doing something.
Agree on the smith squats not being a replacement for barbell squats. They're a good augment, especially if you're rehabbing a knee injury. But the barbell squat is still a vastly superior exercise. More importantly I agree with the last sentence. It's one thing if PF is below one's level. But with so many people critical of the "obesity problem" in our country today it is counter productive to rag on a places that markets to beginners. If it works for people, great. If people use it to facilitate a turn around in their lifestyle and fitness level then good for them.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:15 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,468,663 times
I went back and joined. It was my best option. I just have to go there during certain hours (which I applies to all gyms). Plus, if I don't like my experience I can cancel at anytime.

The equipment is good. But I don't know if I need to do any cardio since it's a 2 mile walk for me. I think I'm going to stick to arm, back, abs, and leg exercises.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:24 PM

14,705 posts, read 8,293,686 times
Ok, here's my deal.

Can I ask people out there what exactly is so wrong with a chain of gyms that caters to a certain clientele? A clientele that doesn't particularly like, among other things, to hear guys screaming and throwing and dropping weights everywhere? What about this so offends people to the point they seem to go out of their way to denigrate the concept and gym?

There are plenty of gyms out there where guys are free or relatively free to throw the weights around and scream and all. I have no problems with that. And I certainly wouldn't be dumb enough to go to one of these places and get upset because someone dropped a pair of 200 pound dumbbells from an overhead position.

If people do not like places like Planet Fitness, fine, don't go there or have anything to do with it. There are plenty of other choices for you. That doesn't mean the rest of us that enjoy the PF atmosphere are freaks, retards, or inconsiderate and ignorant boobs.

That is all.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:42 PM

12,399 posts, read 11,898,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I went back and joined. It was my best option. I just have to go there during certain hours (which I applies to all gyms). Plus, if I don't like my experience I can cancel at anytime.

The equipment is good. But I don't know if I need to do any cardio since it's a 2 mile walk for me. I think I'm going to stick to arm, back, abs, and leg exercises.
Outstanding, it is good that you are getting going on it regardless of where and what you are doing.

Well, a two mile walk is a good ways, cardio though is always great and leisure walking does not cut it. I think you should still just run on your non-gym days and walk to/from on your gym days. Have you thought about getting a bicycle or something? It would knock the commute time way down.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:49 PM

12,399 posts, read 11,898,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ok, here's my deal.

Can I ask people out there what exactly is so wrong with a chain of gyms that caters to a certain clientele? A clientele that doesn't particularly like, among other things, to hear guys screaming and throwing and dropping weights everywhere? What about this so offends people to the point they seem to go out of their way to denigrate the concept and gym?

There are plenty of gyms out there where guys are free or relatively free to throw the weights around and scream and all. I have no problems with that. And I certainly wouldn't be dumb enough to go to one of these places and get upset because someone dropped a pair of 200 pound dumbbells from an overhead position.

If people do not like places like Planet Fitness, fine, don't go there or have anything to do with it. There are plenty of other choices for you. That doesn't mean the rest of us that enjoy the PF atmosphere are freaks, retards, or inconsiderate and ignorant boobs.

That is all.
As from my first post on this, i have no issue with Planet Fitness, the only issue (if you would even call it that because I do not care) I have is they openly denigrate people in their commercials. Planet Fitness would have people believe anyone who is in great shape is also a pretentious, rude, jerk off, when in fact the opposite is true, and you can find these jerk offs in any shape, not just in good shape.

Look at a poster or two on here, it is all about not being "intimidated", yet I fail to see how someone can be just because people are in shape. To me that is not being intimidated, that is someone with self esteem issues, which is a mental issue, not a physical fitness one. But Planet Fitness will and is capitalizing on this (rightfully so), even crafting their commercials to bring out "fear" in people from going to a gym other than Planet Fitness.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:41 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,407,190 times
I liked WoW workout world on the jersey shore. Lots of weights and toned girls . Perhaps the best gym I've seen.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 AM

339 posts, read 249,989 times
Boxus...

Aren't those commercials are just on the Planet Fitness satellite TV station that they play in their own gyms? At least that is the only place I have seen or heard them.I have heard radio copmmercials, yes, for PF, but not of the type you are talking about.

But yeah. they are sort of funny. I particularly like the one with the "hotties." LOL. And the timid little girl with the towel wrapped around her. Personally, I always fantasized she was actually turned-on by them, and that's what really bothered her. LOL Why is she just sitting there checking them out?

And I agree with the poster who felt that it is a GOOD thing for certain gyms to cater to certain clientele. That way we all have a choice in choosing which one best fits our fitness goals, as well as which type of atmosphere best suits us.

As to to why certain people feel the need to bash on PF--I cannot say. But I have found--just in my personal experience, mind you--that those types tend to fall into the very "Lunk" category that PF tries to dissuade.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:36 AM

515 posts, read 765,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ok, here's my deal.

That is all.
The common misconception to the "normal" person that doesn't frequent gyms is exactly what you said; people grunting loudly, lifting giant weights, slamming things, yelling. Even more common is the belief that people are judging you whilst in the gym, laughing at you, making fun of you, etc.

Both are so far from the truth it is ridiculous. Yes, there are powerlifting gyms where guys lift big weights, listen to metal music and yell like crazy. These are very few and very, very far between since this obviously caters to a very small portion of the world. Most gyms have strict no throwing/dropping weights and get upset if you deadlift more than 225 since you're now considered to be dropping weights when lowering it under control.

Most people in the gym couldn't care less what you look like or what you're doing because they're wrapped up in their own problems and have a million other things on their mind besides some random person in the gym.

Furthermore, Planet Fitness is "accepting of all people....except strong people because they're lunks, or fit people because they're so in love with themselves." They say they judgement free, so long as you are an average user. Otherwise, they themselves judge the **** out of you.

What this boils down to, their business model is to play up on fake fears and misconceptions that most people have. They also have a very low barrier to entry, making it a "no brainer" to join. Yet they know that the people they appeal to most are the very ones that need help, encouragement and education to make the gym a a habit and their business model depends on most of them signing up but never coming after that.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:34 AM

339 posts, read 249,989 times
^^^^^^Wrong on several counts, Schmedes

1--Judging and belittling does go on at gyms--especially those that cater to the "power lifting types" you mentioned. I have witnessed it dozens of times.

2--Those types of gyms ARE NOT "few and very far between" as you can find one in any town, and several in any small or medium-sized city. A Large city would have over a dozen.

3--PF accepts strong people. To say they do not is to be of the opinion that only the "Lunk" types you mentioned at the beginning of your post--who yell and listen to metal--are strong. Is that what you think? If so, you sir are a lunk. I would hazard to guess that if you visited a PF during any sort of peak hours you would find several guys there stronger, than say, you. LOL

4--PF is not playing to "Fake Fears." If people HAVE a fear of being intimidated or judged, then it is a real fear. It may be an ill-founded fear (which is probably what you meant to say) but it is still real to them nonetheless.

5--Anything else you would like to debate concerning PF? (But, Be careful--I have been a member for over three years, and was a Gold's member for far longer than that, so I have seen both sides of this equation.) LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness