Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:42 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,989,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
See, you are EXACTLY the person who Planet Fitness is trying to keep out. It is dedicated to fitness, not building results for narcissists to admire in the mirror in public.
1) So anyone who takes pride in their results is a narcissist? 2) You are kidding yourself if you think the exact same thing never happens at PF. If it has mirrors and people it has someone scoping himself or herself out.

Quote:
And no matter how hard you try, there is no way to hide that much disdain for beginners (or pre-beginners) entering the fitness world for the first time.
The vast majority of gym goers probably don't notice. If they do notice, the vast majority can readily identify a new comer, sure. Most are likely more focussed on their own work to have any "disdain." I'm not sure where you get this, really. A lot of gym regulars are actually very encouraging to new comers. You are so certain that people judge, yet you yourself are making a pretty broad-stroke judgment. If you are a PF member I can see why people wouldn't want to go there. It seems too judgmental to me.

Quote:
99% of these people are never going to 'advance' to bodybuilding or powerlifting, and you need to accept that they don't want to do more than lose a few pounds, tone a bit and build up their stamina and cardio health.
And many of them do just fine in regular gyms and find them to be welcoming environments that facilitate their goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 08:27 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,843,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The vast majority of gym goers probably don't notice. If they do notice, the vast majority can readily identify a new comer, sure. Most are likely more focussed on their own work to have any "disdain." I'm not sure where you get this, really. A lot of gym regulars are actually very encouraging to new comers.
Have to agree here. The vast majority of people in the gym will rarely even make eye contact unless they know the person. It's not because they all hate each other, but that they're all trying to be respectful of everyone else's workout. I've never seen anyone at the gym garner harsh looks and judgment at any of my gyms, and I've seen everything from big 400 lb guys lifting 5lb dumbbells to grannys and grandpas throwing some serious weight around. My current gym has a lot a high schoolers and even they are respectful and do their own thing, even when it's annoying that they do curls in the squat rack.

I certainly understand how this perpetual feeling of embarrassment comes through. I was a beginner once, and I still look like a total wimp on some exercises, but the more you go and look around the more you realize that NOBODY CARES. As long as you respect their space, they respect yours. And if you need a spotter you can always ask for one, even the biggest meathead-looking d-bags are happy to do it.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Have to agree here. The vast majority of people in the gym will rarely even make eye contact unless they know the person. It's not because they all hate each other, but that they're all trying to be respectful of everyone else's workout. I've never seen anyone at the gym garner harsh looks and judgment at any of my gyms, and I've seen everything from big 400 lb guys lifting 5lb dumbbells to grannys and grandpas throwing some serious weight around. My current gym has a lot a high schoolers and even they are respectful and do their own thing, even when it's annoying that they do curls in the squat rack.

I certainly understand how this perpetual feeling of embarrassment comes through. I was a beginner once, and I still look like a total wimp on some exercises, but the more you go and look around the more you realize that NOBODY CARES. As long as you respect their space, they respect yours. And if you need a spotter you can always ask for one, even the biggest meathead-looking d-bags are happy to do it.
True. I'm not shy about asking for a spotter. If someone is standing around nearby or doing a similar exercise, I'll do it in a flash. I'd also spot anyone who asked me to do so. My gym also has staff who walk around and clean equipment, make sure barbell plates are evenly distributed, etc. These staff members are also available to spot if at any time you need one.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:55 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,843,086 times
Quote:
True. I'm not shy about asking for a spotter. If someone is standing around nearby or doing a similar exercise, I'll do it in a flash. I'd also spot anyone who asked me to do so. My gym also has staff who walk around and clean equipment, make sure barbell plates are evenly distributed, etc. These staff members are also available to spot if at any time you need one.
Yep. A couple years ago I was walking by a guy doing bench press. He had a 25 lb plate on each side of the barbell so it was pretty light. He got stuck at the bottom of his rep right as I walking by. He was pinned so I ran over and helped him get the weight back up. I could tell he was absolutely mortified but I really really wished he wouldn't have been. Everyone who has tried to push themselves has been there. He retreated to the locker room and left pretty quickly. I certainly had no ill feelings toward him except for the fact he gave up so quickly. I wish he would've stayed and finished his workout.

I think most regular gymgoers would have done and felt the same in my position.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:45 PM

743 posts, read 831,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Yep. A couple years ago I was walking by a guy doing bench press. He had a 25 lb plate on each side of the barbell so it was pretty light. He got stuck at the bottom of his rep right as I walking by. He was pinned so I ran over and helped him get the weight back up. I could tell he was absolutely mortified but I really really wished he wouldn't have been. Everyone who has tried to push themselves has been there. He retreated to the locker room and left pretty quickly. I certainly had no ill feelings toward him except for the fact he gave up so quickly. I wish he would've stayed and finished his workout.

I think most regular gymgoers would have done and felt the same in my position.
agreed. It isn't even a big deal. I think getting stuck on the bench press is a mandatory learning experience for beginners lol

Old 02-26-2015, 04:50 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,565,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
agreed. It isn't even a big deal. I think getting stuck on the bench press is a mandatory learning experience for beginners lol
It's happened to me a few times. lol

Old 02-26-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
F***, it's not just beginners. I had a bad day at the gym a few weeks ago and gut stuck on the last rep of a BP. Fortunately there was someone nearby to bail me out.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:27 PM

743 posts, read 831,386 times
Quote:
F***, it's not just beginners. I had a bad day at the gym a few weeks ago and gut stuck on the last rep of a BP. Fortunately there was someone nearby to bail me out.
The most weight I have ever benched was when I was alone. I knew I had to do it or I was screwed lol. I have since changed over to a machine and pushups for chest just to be safe. I usually go to my gym late at night and there is either no one there, or they are jamming to music with headphones in.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:48 PM

419 posts, read 1,237,231 times
Quote:

Lied on a bench for 2 1/2 hours once pinned by the bar. I don't care how long you lie there, you're never going to pick it back up.

3 weeks later I was working on one of my stock cars and a jack stand let go, I was on my back on the garage floor for close to 4 hours with a car on my chest. All I could think of was "This ****'s gotta stop!" LOL

Old 02-27-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
The most weight I have ever benched was when I was alone. I knew I had to do it or I was screwed lol. I have since changed over to a machine and pushups for chest just to be safe. I usually go to my gym late at night and there is either no one there, or they are jamming to music with headphones in.
I have a set amount I'm willing to do a complete workout without a spot. I won't go over that amount without a spot even for one rep. It's a good rule, but as I learned it's not fool proof. Some days you have it more than others, and on that day I had it less.

As an aside, the story I mentioned above happened on a Monday. For some reason, if I work chest on Monday it is 1) a lousy workout and 2) screws up my whole workout week. It just leaves me in a funk. I know it's all mental, but part of me is content to just work around it since it's not hard to do and it's not like this is some great barrier I need to punch through. It's just a little mental nuance. That day and the week that followed confirmed to me why I don't work chest on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness