U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 643 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a 24 year old woman, 5'3 and my current weight is about 126 pounds or a little less.
however I am desperately trying to bulk up my skinny legs ( to me I think they are too skinny).

I really want to bulk up my thighs and add more shape to them but I don't know what exercise will work best for me. At the moment I cycle on an exercise bike for twenty minutes, with the resistance high enough (13) because I reckon it would add more bulk to them but I don't see any changes, even though I have not being at it that long.

I am going to Spain in two months and I don't want to be walking around the beach with legs that look like 6 year olds!!!

I also want to flatten my stomach too and lose fat off my hips (love handles)... I am not fat by any means, slightly petite but not a bit toned around stomach and back area.

please help me to reach my goal in two months if possible, I d appreciate your tips and ideas greatly.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 08:27 AM

4,625 posts, read 5,705,040 times
Weighted squats.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:33 AM

9,590 posts, read 9,269,230 times
and time...

Old 03-25-2015, 11:39 AM

4,863 posts, read 4,659,052 times
Cycling (stationary bikes included) won’t do anything to bulk up the legs. It’ll have the opposite effect. But don’t worry, 20 minutes isn’t doing much in either direction anyway. And keeping the resistance high will only serve to damage your knees.

You can’t spot reduce. So losing fat won’t happen to just your belly. It’ll happen all over, including your legs. Bulking up means eating a lot and lifting heavy, and doing the right lifts – major muscle groups and basic exercises like squats and deadlifts.

Essentially however, your genes are your genes, and your genes gave you skinny legs. You can only do so much, if they are too think for your body now, they likely will always be disproportionately skinny.

Seems like I’m giving the same advice for the last few days.

Best of luck.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:41 AM

12,778 posts, read 10,540,681 times
Beans, rice and squats/leg presses. It might take more than two months to get the results you want.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:43 PM

3,889 posts, read 3,811,139 times
You won't see any significant results in two months. In the world of fitness there is no instant gratification.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:02 PM

14,527 posts, read 29,236,228 times
I am tall, with relatively slim legs. Despite a year of squats and other exercises they are still slim (same with my small butt), but with just slightly more "tone." Genetics are genetics, no amount of gym time will change your body that much regardless of what some here try to say otherwise. You must be realistic.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:44 PM

419 posts, read 981,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You won't see any significant results in two months. In the world of fitness there is no instant gratification.
What? I achieve instant gratification immediately upon walking into a gym. You will also absolutely see significant results in two months, both mentally and physically.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:20 PM

12,778 posts, read 10,540,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
What? I achieve instant gratification immediately upon walking into a gym. You will also absolutely see significant results in two months, both mentally and physically.
Not when it comes to building lean muscle. But then again, the word 'significant' is subjective.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:28 PM

419 posts, read 981,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Not when it comes to building lean muscle. But then again, the word 'significant' is subjective.

For someone who hasn't been working out and starts cranking in the gym, they will see significant results more than a person who has been going to the gym for a long period of time. We all have our own genetics to battle, but a lot of gains are to be had early on when you first start lifting.

I agree significant is subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or