Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Consult Your Physician Before Changing Your Diet or Exercise Routine?
YES 5 5.81%
NO 74 86.05%
SOMETIMES 7 8.14%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:48 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,181 times

Advertisements

I get a kick out of disclaimers that tell you to "consult your physician" before starting any dietary or exercise regimine. Yeah, right, I'll just bop on down to the conservatory and talk to my personal doctor I keep on staff with my masseus and chef. If he says it's okay, then I'll go for a nice walk this evening to the market rather than having James drive me in the Rolls-Royce.

Gimme a break. Except for those with chronic health problems who shell out thousands to visit the doctor regularily anyway, or people with really excellent health insurance, who's gonna:
- Take the time off work.
- Schedule and wait 3-4 weeks to see their PCP
- Then eat the hundreds of dollars in cost, as pretty much NO insurance that any normal person can afford is going to say this sort of consultation is covered.

I have never consulted with "my physician" about my exercise routine, lifestyle, or changes I'm going to make to them. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I don't have the time or the money. Actually, my insurance switches doctors so often, I'll go through 3 PCP's before my free checkup rolls around.

Who out there actually consults with their doctor before changing their exercise or eating habits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 12:40 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,990,879 times
sponger42 wrote:
I have never consulted with "my physician" about my exercise routine, lifestyle, or changes I'm going to make to them. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I don't have the time or the money. Actually, my insurance switches doctors so often, I'll go through 3 PCP's before my free checkup rolls around.
Ditto, but I don't even have a desire to consult with my physician. It's non of my doctors business! This whole concept of consulting with your doctor is pure brainwashing. The AMA has been very successful in fostering this ridiculous notion. They have developed one of the shrewdest advertising shams ever proliferated. The population has been subjected to these public service announcements since they were in diapers, so it is accepted without question. In fact, many people will argue that consulting with their doctor is for their own benefit. They will have no recognition that they are being hustled. The whole sham is so sublte that it come across as concern for the health of humanity. The sham is so pervasive that some people reading this will think of me as a conspiracy nut for attempting to bring it to light.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-15-2008 at 12:53 PM..

Old 01-15-2008, 12:50 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
sponger42 wrote:
Ditto, but I don't even have a desire to consult with my physician. It's non of my doctors business! This whole concept of consulting with your doctor is pure brainwashing. The AMA has been very successful in fostering this ridiculous notion. They have developed one of the shrewdest advertising shams ever proliferated. The population has been subjected to these public service announcements since they were in diapers, so it is accepted without question. In fact, many people will argue that consulting with their doctor is for their own benefit. They will have no recognition that they are being hustled. The whole sham is so sublte that it come across as concern for the health of humanity.
I agree, my body tells me what is good for my body. I've been with it a long time so we kind of know whats good for each other.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:08 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,574,590 times
Consult your doctor means keeping them busy, their offices full and help them make money... and you becoming dependant on them, meaning a patient who can't think for themselves. It is their quest to make lifelong patients out of us and to sell more and more drugs to us that we don't need to start with. I have given up on the medical community and have quit playing their game with them and my body keeps telling me I am better off now than when I was a regular patient.

EVERY one you go see, want to schedule you another appointment before you leave there. When I questioned my eye doctors nurse about me having to come back every 3 months for some tests and asked her why, she so sweetly told me "because this is what your insurance will pay for!" I have not been back since! It is a 3 hour wait everytime I go, even with an appointment so I was already unhappy with them.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:21 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,224,652 times
I don't even have a doctor.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:25 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,990,879 times
Evey wrote: I don't even have a doctor.

Nor do I. Makes me wonder who else has no doctor.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:33 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Evey wrote: I don't even have a doctor.

Nor do I. Makes me wonder who else has no doctor.
that would be me........

Old 01-15-2008, 02:50 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,577 times
I have doctor but unless I'm in for sick visit, I don't go out of my way to ask him about anything. I did get the prescription for Chantix to quit smoking b/c he was on me everytime I was in there but I went in for a strained back. He told me to lose some weight which is laughable not b/c I don't need to but b/c he needs to lose a lot more than me! I think that disclaimer is just like the "Caution: Hot Coffee" signs...it's for protection only from the litigous people who lurk around trying to find an easy way to make money!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:06 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,105 times
Hadn't had a physical in years... my insurance pays for annual physicals... I was going to start exercising at a gym... so yes, I did go get an annual physical, and since I was planning to start exercising he included an EKG which insurance paid... it served 2 purposes: (1) gave assurance no current issues and (2) gave a good baseline for any future issues.

Guess I'll now go for years again without going back to doc.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:27 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,334,139 times
I do have a doctor (one of the very few doctors I like) but it's been about 5 years since I've seen him. I was very overweight (about 80 pounds) and he told me that if I didn't lose weight, I wouldn't live long.
Common sense. Notice how overweight I said I was and on top of changing my diet, he also told me to exercise at least an hour a day so I don't understand really why one should see a doctor to lose weight. I was in poor shape and he told me to exercise. I thought I was going to have a heart attack and die at first if I exercised at the weight I was.
Sometimes I felt like I would but as time went on and I got used to exercising, I survived. LOL
Now I'm venturing on to new and different exercises that are and will be more challenging to me. If my body is unable to do anything, I'll know that myself and don't need someone telling me otherwise.
I want to be in the best shape of my life when I turn 50 which will be in Feb. of 2009 so I have a little more than a year to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness