Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times

Advertisements

The traditional method I was taught for lifting weights, let's say doing dumbbell curls, is doing 8-12 @ 35 lbs, 8-12 @ 40 lbs. then 8-12 (failure) of 45 lbs. Resting a minute in between give or take.

What I am doing is the opposite. I shoot for 8-12 but go to fatigue doing 45 lbs, then 40 lbs, then 35 lbs. Very little break maybe 15-20 secs at most. I try to keep my arms "burning" if that makes sense. I generally try to do this on most dumbbell exercises. The bench press and squat I generally go up in weight and on the last set drop down to my starting weight and do another 10, just to keep the burn going.

Is this a good way to build muscle? It seems odd that I'm doing the opposite of everyone, but to me it feels more like you are getting a better workout because you can keep moving, albeit dropping down in weight.

I'm fairly new at lifting getting back in the game. Was 193 lbs Jan 1 2014 now around 160, I'm 5'9". I don't eat "great", but do eat sorta healthy most days (but generally always eat dessert!), although it's tough because my job is 100% travel. Also hard to keep the same routine every week because of that.

But generally what I try to do is run 3 miles (22:30 mins or so) 3x a week and on my off days 3x a week hit the exercise room at hotels or the gym (Planet Fitness) and do a whole body routine. Because of my odd schedule I really can't focus on specific body parts on different days like most people tell you to do.

My goal is to be around 150 lbs roughly.

Last edited by wheelsup; 03-28-2015 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 07:51 PM

5,833 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The traditional method I was taught for lifting weights, let's say doing dumbbell curls, is doing 8-12 @ 35 lbs, 8-12 @ 40 lbs. then 8-12 (failure) of 45 lbs. Resting a minute in between give or take.

What I am doing is the opposite. I shoot for 8-12 but go to fatigue doing 45 lbs, then 40 lbs, then 35 lbs. Very little break maybe 15-20 secs at most. I try to keep my arms "burning" if that makes sense. I generally try to do this on most dumbbell exercises. The bench press and squat I generally go up in weight and on the last set drop down to my starting weight and do another 10, just to keep the burn going.

Is this a good way to build muscle? It seems odd that I'm doing the opposite of everyone, but to me it feels more like you are getting a better workout because you can keep moving, albeit dropping down in weight.

I'm fairly new at lifting getting back in the game. Was 193 lbs Jan 1 2014 now around 160, I'm 5'9". I don't eat "great", but do eat sorta healthy most days (but generally always eat dessert!), although it's tough because my job is 100% travel. Also hard to keep the same routine every week because of that.

But generally what I try to do is run 3 miles (22:30 mins or so) 3x a week and on my off days 3x a week hit the exercise room at hotels or the gym (Planet Fitness) and do a whole body routine. Because of my odd schedule I really can't focus on specific body parts on different days like most people tell you to do.

Others may chime in with better specifics or more accurate scientific terminology, but going to failure early in a workout is a mistake. I believe it causes lactic acid to flood the muscles, limiting the amount of work your muscles can do. You're better off saving failure for the very end of a workout, such as during a burnout set.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Others may chime in with better specifics or more accurate scientific terminology, but going to failure early in a workout is a mistake. I believe it causes lactic acid to flood the muscles, limiting the amount of work your muscles can do. You're better off saving failure for the very end of a workout, such as during a burnout set.
I found this article
Bodybuilding.com - Ask The Muscle Prof: Is Training To Failure Helping Or Hurting Me?

I basically do what it says to do. On the last set I basically do it to failure. The ones prior I shoot for 8-12 but generally do 12. The last set I'll do 12 but the last couple are burning. It refers to what I'm doing as "drop sets". At least now I have something to focus on researching!

Instead of saying doing 35 lbs. (easy) for 12 reps, then doing 40, then 45, I basically keep it going starting with the heaviest weight. The last set is much harder even though the weight is much less. It feels like this is utilizing each set to its fullest.

It does talk about central failure, which I think soma fancy way of saying if you use all your energy on one exercise or set you basically are toast. I certainly have found that to be the case. It feels like I'm running out of energy during my sessions.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
"Lifting weights", as in you were taught the form? For strength? Hypertrophy? What is the purpose of the "traditional method" (what ever the hell that suppose to be).

Quote:
No, "burning" makes no sense. So, what is your goal? What is your reason for lifting?

Quote:
Is this a good way to build muscle?
No.

Quote:
It seems odd that I'm doing the opposite of everyone, but to me it feels more like you are getting a better workout because you can keep moving, albeit dropping down in weight.
Opposite of everyone? Who is everyone?

Instead of "feeling" like you are getting a better workout, are you measuring your progress to see if you are progressing or not? What are your numbers now, and what were they six months and a year ago?

Quote:
Yea, it is difficult to keep a routine while traveling, you should look into some great body weight routines you can do right in your hotel room, unless you often stay at nicer hotels that have a real gym, but even at that, I have never seen a hotel with a "real" gym, just something to keep someone warmed up. While traveling, I just do body weight stuff and go search for something to do pullups on.

Quote:
No need to focus on specific body parts, hit the big four with some pulls and you are set.

Quote:
Not sure what you are trying to do; you start your post about lifting weights, then about if this is the best way to build muscle, now it seems you are concerned about losing weight; do you have any goals or anything? Goals with specific numbers.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Drop sets are just as valid a training technique as upward pyramids are. Its all good. Going to failure on the last set of an exercise even if it is the first exercies of your workout is a non-issue.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:35 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Drop sets are just as valid a training technique as upward pyramids are. Its all good. Going to failure on the last set of an exercise even if it is the first exercies of your workout is a non-issue.
Everything is a valid training technique when a person is in great shape, but I always wonder why do beginners (not only beginners, but those with years of experience in the gym yet nothing to really show for it) always need to make everything so damn complicated, all the while completely passing over the basics. It is like the scrawny guy wanting to get strong, but being overly concerned about some inner-pinky exercise or something.

So in this case, the poster is talking about this and that technique, yet does not even have the basics down of strength training.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:46 PM

5,833 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Instead of saying doing 35 lbs. (easy) for 12 reps, then doing 40, then 45, I basically keep it going starting with the heaviest weight. The last set is much harder even though the weight is much less. It feels like this is utilizing each set to its fullest.
I think this is a legitimate structure, assuming you have a proper warm-up. You may find that as you gain more experience, your endurance increases and you could find it helpful to bump the weight up each set.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Everything is a valid training technique when a person is in great shape, but I always wonder why do beginners (not only beginners, but those with years of experience in the gym yet nothing to really show for it) always need to make everything so damn complicated, all the while completely passing over the basics. It is like the scrawny guy wanting to get strong, but being overly concerned about some inner-pinky exercise or something.

So in this case, the poster is talking about this and that technique, yet does not even have the basics down of strength training.
I'm most definitely 'scrawny', actually 'overweight scrawny', but I'm fine with that. I don't want to look all meathead-ish!

Old 03-28-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"Lifting weights", as in you were taught the form? For strength? Hypertrophy? What is the purpose of the "traditional method" (what ever the hell that suppose to be).

No, "burning" makes no sense. So, what is your goal? What is your reason for lifting?

No.

Opposite of everyone? Who is everyone?

Instead of "feeling" like you are getting a better workout, are you measuring your progress to see if you are progressing or not? What are your numbers now, and what were they six months and a year ago?

Yea, it is difficult to keep a routine while traveling, you should look into some great body weight routines you can do right in your hotel room, unless you often stay at nicer hotels that have a real gym, but even at that, I have never seen a hotel with a "real" gym, just something to keep someone warmed up. While traveling, I just do body weight stuff and go search for something to do pullups on.

No need to focus on specific body parts, hit the big four with some pulls and you are set.

Not sure what you are trying to do; you start your post about lifting weights, then about if this is the best way to build muscle, now it seems you are concerned about losing weight; do you have any goals or anything? Goals with specific numbers.
Never really put numbers to it except for the weight range.

I want to be in shape but not overly muscled. In college I weighed 130 lbs. which will require way too much effort at the age of 33. Back then I could bench 200 and curl sets of 50 lb dumbbells, run 3 miles in 21 mins and bike 25 miles later that day. And then eat a quart of cookie dough ice cream. I'm not going to pretend I have the time or body for that ever again .

Old 04-01-2015, 11:53 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
It's called pyramidization. The theory is that your target is to last lift the target weight of 45-lb dumbbells the desired number of reps (12-15) if you can. As you go up the pyramid, you get tired and can't lift as much. When you can finally reach the goal of lifting the 45-lb dumbbells 12 times, you can do it whether you're rested or tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness