Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:23 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,483 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons bicycle racing become something out of my budget. For one, a quality racing bike, even low end like i have, starts at 1 thousand. but heck, even the tires and tubes and chains and stuff you wear out was getting ridiculous.

Then, to do any sanctioned road races or mountain bike races, you have to be a member of USA Cycling. And if you aren't a member, you have to pay for a one day license, IN ADDITION to the race fees, which varied from 50-100 bucks.

I just ride my bike now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 08:33 AM

104 posts, read 175,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've run somewhere around 200 races ranging from 5K to marathons. All of them gave medals, trophies or something else to overall, masters and age group winners.
Well, those are for the winners. I thought we were talking about getting medals for finishing.

Example--my first race of the year, the Colfax Marathon in Denver. Medals are handed out to those doing the full and half marathon (I'm doing the half).

See "Runner Perks" for those doing the half:

Denver Half Marathon - Colfax Half Marathon through Denver Zoo

Quote:
Tech race shirts and awesome finisher medals with detachable mini-medallions for your keychain or necklace. Free runner tracking and digital on-course photo! Virtual race bag with great offers. The Jim 'N Nick's Bar-B-Q Afterparty and Michelob Ultra Beer Garden lakeside in City Park.
"Runner Perks" for those doing the 5K:

http://www.runcolfax.org/colfax-5k/

Quote:
Cool Colfax tech shirt. Finish Line Food, Music, and Expo. Dog Friendly Wave - and get a Bandana for your dog! Stroller friendly Family and Walk Wave.

Awards for top male and female overall - based on gun time. Top male and female - 12 and under, 13-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70 and over - based on chip time.
No medal.

I did a 15K in Oakland I paid something like 5 dollars. Lake Merritt Running Group. It was a great event, which they do one per month. They have a 5K and 10K. No medals or shirts. I placed top 3 in my age group, so I did get a ribbon.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:30 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,385,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
One of the reasons bicycle racing become something out of my budget. For one, a quality racing bike, even low end like i have, starts at 1 thousand. but heck, even the tires and tubes and chains and stuff you wear out was getting ridiculous.

Then, to do any sanctioned road races or mountain bike races, you have to be a member of USA Cycling. And if you aren't a member, you have to pay for a one day license, IN ADDITION to the race fees, which varied from 50-100 bucks.

I just ride my bike now.
So true. It's the same way with triathlons. One has to be a USAT member to participate.

Biking is an expensive sport. I have a fairly nice and expensive bike I ride, but at a race its not uncommon to see people with $15k-20,000 bikes.

The underlying part of this is that 95% of races are for-profit.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,563 times
My guess is insurance and security. I've run NYC NYRR sponsored races the past 7 or so years, and early on the bag check was just an open area ,amned by few volunteers and security, and it was up to you to put the bag in the designated area that corresponded to the last digit of the bib number. Now, they provide you clear bags and security is more intense. However, they've held a few races that are only $10 bucks and harken to the days of old. No shirts, limited awards, no pre or post race activities, just numbers a starting gun and timing mats. I like those races.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
I've cut down on the 5ks that I've run every year. Too expensive, and websites like active.com or imathlete charge a service fee as well......will find creative running areas on my own.....the main reason to run these races is to experience new running routes, usually scenic ones.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:05 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,999,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Geez!

I've adopted the hobby of running 5k/10k, working my way up to half marathons......and I'm going broke. I enjoy running the race as I like running new routes, pushing myself, running in large groups and finding competition in it. But the races are causing me to go broke. I've been running one race over the last couple of years and now it's $45 for early registration. Sure they're fundraisers mostly and it take money for shirts, medals, other freebies, but isn't $45 for an 8k getting up there in price?

Am I unrealistic about the price? Guess I could just find my own routes and forget about the races.....but they are motivating to keep running and improving.
I have a limit of 35 for a road race. I just won't do anything that costs more, unless it's a triathlon. I fund the hobby partly by using my race shirts as my running wardrobe - no more cute matching outfits to sweat in.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:03 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Once they get popular they start jacking up the price. I ran a 5K last December for $25. Of course the time of year could be a factor.

I did a lot of road races back in the early 2000's, for premium races in Nashville and other cities I was typically paying $20-$35 for a 5k race. Smaller races ran anywhere from $10-$20.

It doesn't sound like the costs have increased all that much.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:05 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
..the main reason to run these races is to experience new running routes, usually scenic ones.

The main reason for me was to try and win. I started doing them in high school in the track offseason and kept doing them while I was in the Army and college.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:22 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
My wife and I ran the Pittsburgh Great Race a few weeks ago. We commented that the race organizers were making a big deal about the fact that they made a $1 contribution from each registration to the Richard S. Caliguiri Amyloidosis Fund. That means $1 from each $35 registration fee goes to charity and the remainder covers race expenses. There were 14,262 runners registered for the event.

They previously said a portion of the registration fee went to the Richard S. Caliguiri Amyloidosis Fund. I'm not sure why they admitted this year that only a dollar was going to charity.

The majority of the race expenses go to pay overtime for the City of Pittsburgh Police, EMTs, bus drivers and public works people who set up, and clean up after the race.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:54 PM

537 posts, read 768,488 times
When you see what all is involved in a road race, you understand the price.

That said, most races (5k, 10k or otherwise) are expensive. I know a woman that has done maybe 20 races this year. Clearly she has money to burn. She even travels out of the country for these races, she's doing the Reggae Marathon in Jamaica, for example. She does it for the medals, which is really weird to me. But I do them for the t-shirts.

Me, I've only done 4, one of which I completed today: two timed 5ks, a fun run, and a mud run. I have one more and then I'm done. Next year my goal is to do 5 max.

The timed races have better quality shirts than fun runs or mud runs, we're talking pretty nice tech shirts compared to the ultra cheap cotton shirts that only look good on men. And I'm pretty sure I'm done with mud runs, because although they are super fun, I absolutely hate being that filthy at the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness