Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:02 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,271,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I find motivation in the world of health & fitness interesting. You can ask for it, or someone may reach out to you. It can also just be pushed and sold.

I have been a financially unsuccessful Beachbody coach for years. I have enjoyed many of the DVD programs I have completed and have seen decent results (RevAbs, Les Mills Combat, Les Mills Pump, P90X), and am in decent shape for a man > 50. My lack of success comes from my unwillingness to do those things that make a coach successful. I found myself during a short period posting my meals and workouts, but at some point I just started to annoy myself so I stopped.

I personally do not need motivation. I am very self-motivated when it comes to a healthy lifestyle. I'm not perfect at it, but I know what I need to do, and get personal satisfaction in doing exercise and trying to eat healthier.

My problem with outside motivation is my doubt at times regarding the "why". Call me a cynic, but I think too many in the business are for the money. Even though a part of them may care to see you succeed and get healthy, I feel the underlying importance is to build a business. In a way I know that shouldn't matter, because it someone helps get another healthy and makes money while doing it, it's a win-win. Yet, I find the pushiness of motivation the turn-off. It's like telling a cigarette smoker to quit - the more you ask the more resistance you get.

Does motivation from others work to help you live healthier, or do you find it a deterrent?
No. I motivate myself. It's my body - if I can't motivate myself, who will?

I don't understand Beachbody's model. Coaching, to me at least, is effective for instruction, not motivation. You get the instruction from the DVDs. You don't really need the coaching - especially from someone who is not qualified to do so (no offense).

Beachbody has excellent workouts. They should focus more on the workouts and less on the MLM side of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 01:03 PM

7,274 posts, read 5,274,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
For me personally, this is anti-motivational. Again, only talking through my eyes.

Part of it I suppose is I am not a competitor training for specific races, or lifting weight to beat others - I do fitness for me. Looking at other beautiful and strong people doesn't motivate me to be like the, act like them, or do anything. I just care about doing my best, and I find this sort of motivation something I just poo-poo and walk away from as meaningless. Yet, if that video got someone off the couch and actually doing something, no harm in that.

It's all about personal preference, and one's own reasoning and determination.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:11 PM

7,274 posts, read 5,274,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
No. I motivate myself. It's my body - if I can't motivate myself, who will?

I don't understand Beachbody's model. Coaching, to me at least, is effective for instruction, not motivation. You get the instruction from the DVDs. You don't really need the coaching - especially from someone who is not qualified to do so (no offense).

Beachbody has excellent workouts. They should focus more on the workouts and less on the MLM side of things.
That's why I fail as a Beachbody coach. The company tries so hard to prove it isn't MLM but only helping people. It's poor reverse psychology. The "coaching" is motivation as Beachbody sees it.....but it also sells product and creates a downline for you - MLM.

Sure, I like the DVD's and I drink Shakeology. I feel it's a benefit and an easy meal which I consider healthy, processed or not. Beachbody pushes the workouts and the supplements. I just have no desire to an active coach, even with financially successful ones and me as most people needing more money. Money isn't enough for me to change me.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:13 PM

4,556 posts, read 5,397,618 times
Quote:

It's all about personal preference, and one's own reasoning and determination.
Had you thought of this sentence before you made this thread, you would not have made the thread.

It IS about personal preference. I find great motivation at seeing videos of Crossfit women, or sexy fit women exercising, just like the vid I posted earlier of female fitness motivation. Same with yoga. As a dude, seeing sexy fit women who have achieved their fitness/health goals really motivates me. I get ZERO motivation from seeing dudes or watching dude videos. But as you said again, its all about personal preference.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,510,640 times
Quote:
That's why I fail as a Beachbody coach. The company tries so hard to prove it isn't MLM but only helping people.
Nobody buys this. It's blatantly and obviously MLM.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:54 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,381,656 times
I read Running and Skiing magazines occasionally, but that's it.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:56 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,454,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nobody buys this. It's blatantly and obviously MLM.
It definitely is. If you do a Google search for multilevel marketing companies, you'll find a Wiki page that lists all of the MLM companies, and Beachbody is listed. Kind of hard to think of them as something like Fortunate Hi-Tech or AmWay - because the products (the workout DVDs) really do produce great results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness